Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging stops prematurely

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SlimJim

Jul 25, 2019
USA
For last two charging sessions at home, I got notification that the charging stopped before it reached my setting, 90%.
I unplugged and plugged it back and it would start charging for a minute and stop again.
It is supposed to charge to 267miles but it stops at 227 miles and sends me notification.

Has anyone experienced the similar situation?

Screenshot 2021-09-30 at 9.30.04 PM.jpeg

Last edited:
It did it again today and it was trying to charge at 47A.
i unplugged it from the wall and plugged back it and now it us charging at 32A.

edit: and it stopped again at 235 miles.

next step is to go charge at supercharger to r/o defective charging cable at home.

8E53F5A1-7E45-4074-8780-3F19F4B95FD6.png

Last edited:
It did it again today and it was trying to charge at 47A.
i unplugged it from the wall and plugged back it and now it us charging at 32A.

edit: and it stopped again at 235 miles.

next step is to go charge at supercharger to r/o defective charging cable at home.
There are 3 connection points on the Mobile Connector. One is the connection with the car, which you already tried. The other is the connection to the wall socket. The third is the connection for the given adapter to the Mobile Connector.
See page 7 and 8 on how to disconnect the adapter and reconnect it to make sure it is securely connected.
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...bile_connector_owners_manual_32_amp_en_US.pdf

However, looking at your numbers, 47A shouldn't be possible on Mobile Connector, so something is either faulty or perhaps you are talking about using something else?

Reactions: rpiotro
Yeah, that’s the first thing that jumped out at me was when they said 47a and “unplugging it from the wall”.

@SlimJim

Can you clarify what EVSE (“charger”) you’re using, if it’s not the TMC, the specs - and also, what specification outlet it’s plugged into (amps/receptacle spec, ie, N14-50, N10-30)

I went to the supercharger and the car charged up to 90% just fine. That ruled out any faults on the car.
I drove a few miles and picked up a half case of IPA and drove back home. Then I plugged in the home Nema 14-50 on the car and it didn't want to charge at all. I unplugged the charging cable from the wall and took the cable apart with no tools. I was able to pull the adaptor off from the brick by bare hands. It looked very clean inside. I blew into it anyway and I put it back together.
Then I tried taking it apart again and I could not. Then I realized that the Nema 14-50 adaptor should not have come off from the charging brick with bare hands. I vaguely remembered that I should have to press in the hole with a screwdriver. I plugged in the car and it charged up just fine.
So it must have been the loose adaptor that came loose little by little since I bought the adaptor a little over a year ago.

Thanks for the help!

Reactions: MaskedRacerX
I went to the supercharger and the car charged up to 90% just fine. That ruled out any faults on the car.

Actually, no it doesnt. Supercharging completely bypasses the chargeports in the car, so it doesnt prove that those work at all. It just proves that your battery can take a DC charge directly (which is not what the mobile adapter does).

To "rule out the car" or "rule out the adapter" you will need to either use your adapter to charge another tesla, or take your car to another L2 charger and try it (supercharging doesnt count).

Hmm..
Then I wonder whether it has been fixed or what fixed it...

That's not what the manual says:

View attachment 717303

Actually, no it doesnt. Supercharging completely bypasses the chargeports in the car, so it doesnt prove that those work at all. It just proves that your battery can take a DC charge directly (which is not what the mobile adapter does).

To "rule out the car" or "rule out the adapter" you will need to either use your adapter to charge another tesla, or take your car to another L2 charger and try it (supercharging doesnt count).

Starting last night, I have had the same problems. Car set to charge to 80%. Woke up this morning it was at 73%, ran and errand, came back and started charging. Checked 10 minutes later, it stopped. Used the screen to start charging again. Checked the app again, it stopped after adding 2%. Turned it on again with the app, started charging and stopped again after 1% added. I have a nema 14-50 outlet. Have had the car just over 1 year. This is frustrating.

Sorry about that man,sometimes software glitches can cause charging problems. These software glitches can normally be fixed by rebooting the car. If your Car has got a charging problem after a new update then the issue could be with the updated software. You will need to contact Tesla to check if this is the case.
I'll try rebooting today, see if that helps, otherwise will reach out to Tesla.

2021 Model Y Standard Range. N14-50 adaptor and charging cable that came with the car.

Gotcha.

I was mostly wondering about the EVSE (aka, "charger"), as my Grizzl-E exhibited that behavior a while back, and I resolved it by switching to "dumb" mode (it's running smart again).

Know anybody else with a Tesla? You could borrow their TMC, use your adapter, and maybe rule out one possible cause.

Chatted with Telsa, they are having me bring it in to a service center to check :-(
Mine stopped having this weird behavior after I started doing the following.

1. After plugging in the charger in the charging port, wait for a couple of seconds for the charging to begin while looking at the main touch screen through the rear left passenger window.
2. When it is confirmed that the charging has started, immediately press the button on the charging wand once.
The car will make few clicking noises while the status indicator light changes colors and it will resume charging.

Note: Also, I always make sure the charging cord is hanging straight down to the ground vertically with no sideways stress on the charging handle.

I kept doing it for many weeks and it never prematurely stopped charging.
Even after I stopped doing this peculiar process, the car has not acted up again.