TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Charging Strategy When MS IS Not Used For Several Months

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Hojo, May 10, 2016.

1. Hojo

Hojo Member

We split the year between New Orleans and Winter Park CO, so the new MS likely will be ideal in the garage in New Orleans for 3 or 4 months each year. Perhaps you experienced users could suggest the optimum strategy to keep the car/battery properly conditioned during this down time. Thanks

2. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

Set charge limit to 60% state of charge and keep it plugged in at all times. Park it with anything below 90% SOC. Check in now and then through the app to make sure it's still plugged in.

3. Electric700

Electric700 Member

I would set it slightly lower so that a 50% charge level is maintained. That should be even better for the battery.

4. Johan

My charge limit would be higher of I had to leave it unattended for a long time (weeks) and lower (maybe as low as 40%) if I, or someone else, could flip on the power, restart the charge of take action if it lost power.

5. UberEV1

UberEV1 Member

#5 UberEV1, May 10, 2016
    Last edited: May 10, 2016
    If I understood your comment correctly, there is no need for a separate power switch. Once your Tesla is charged, vampire drain will slowly reduce capacity over time. But once a specific threshold is reached below the charge limit you set (guessing 5~7% drop), the car will automatically start charging again during the next charging window (e.g. after 11pm if that's what you had set), and then charge back up to your selected charge limit. Personally, I also follow the advice to set a lower charge limit (>50%, <90%) when leaving the car unused for an extended period of time.

6. Hojo

Hojo Member

I should have been more specific. We have family nearby in New Orleans who could check in if needed. So under those circumstances a lower SOC would be preferred?

7. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

I doubt it will make much difference at all if set anywhere from 40 to 70%. I agree with the 60% number just because it gives you peace of mind over the lower numbers.

8. Johan

This pretty much sums it up.

9. kort677

kort677 Active Member

plug it into a 110 outlet at any level of charge, the car will be fine

10. Hojo

Hojo Member

Thanks to all for the sage advise. Cheers

11. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Plug into 110, set charge level to 50%

12. brkaus

brkaus Member

If you want to be an overachiever, sounds like there might be some benefit to putting a battery tender on the 12v. And leaving it plugged in at 50%.

13. Hojo

Hojo Member

Curious....why the 110 rather than the normally used 240?

14. Johan

Doesn't matter. The point is a regular 110 will be enough.

15. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Either would be okay depending upon where you are parking. (The idea was that you don't need the 240).

16. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Member

It sure would be great if the manual for the car answered this exact question. Oh, wait, it does.

17. PaulR

PaulR Member

I have to leave for 2 to 3 months at a time and leave my S plugged in and charged to 60% using my HPWC.... I use the app to check and have not seen any problems. It looses a few percent of charge, then begins to re-charge, and the process continues automatically.

The tires are slightly out of round for not having been ridden on, but that cures itself after a couple of miles of use when I return.

When the app notifies me of a software update, I have a friend who has a key to my house who initiates the update for me and the app let's me know that it updated. I can unlock the car for him from the app.

The biggest problem I have is missing the thrill of driving my S....

• Helpful x 1
  18. Hojo

Hojo Member

Paul...thanks for the thoughtful reply. Cheers

19. Hojo

Hojo Member

Well Rocky, I see you are having a fine day.
    Since I have not taken delivery of my car, I do not have an Owner's Manual to review. Even if I did, however, it's hard for me to imagine a better reason to participate in this forum than to learn and benefit from the real world experiences of owners which instruct beyond the manual. Of course, in your case, membership also affords the opportunity to spread your unique form of goodwill and fellowship. Cheers

• Funny x 1
  20. Carefree

Carefree Member

We live in the Phoenix area where temps in the summer easily reach 110F. We own an RV and always take off North for at least three months in the summer. Our 2013 P85 sits happily in our very hot garage for all those months, plugged into the regular 240V outlet at 60% charge. After three years of doing this, I have hardly any battery degradation (still charges to 260 rated at 100%).

I've come to the conclusion there is absolutely no point worrying about how to best pamper your battery. Plug the car in every time you pull into your garage, set daily charge limit to 90% and forget about it. When away, reduce charge limit to 60% - that's all there is to it.