Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Strategy When MS IS Not Used For Several Months

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We split the year between New Orleans and Winter Park CO, so the new MS likely will be ideal in the garage in New Orleans for 3 or 4 months each year. Perhaps you experienced users could suggest the optimum strategy to keep the car/battery properly conditioned during this down time. Thanks

I would set it slightly lower so that a 50% charge level is maintained. That should be even better for the battery.

My charge limit would be higher of I had to leave it unattended for a long time (weeks) and lower (maybe as low as 40%) if I, or someone else, could flip on the power, restart the charge of take action if it lost power.

My charge limit would be higher of I had to leave it unattended for a long time (weeks) and lower (maybe as low as 40%) if I, or someone else, could flip on the power, restart the charge of take action if it lost power.

If I understood your comment correctly, there is no need for a separate power switch. Once your Tesla is charged, vampire drain will slowly reduce capacity over time. But once a specific threshold is reached below the charge limit you set (guessing 5~7% drop), the car will automatically start charging again during the next charging window (e.g. after 11pm if that's what you had set), and then charge back up to your selected charge limit. Personally, I also follow the advice to set a lower charge limit (>50%, <90%) when leaving the car unused for an extended period of time.

Last edited:
I should have been more specific. We have family nearby in New Orleans who could check in if needed. So under those circumstances a lower SOC would be preferred?

We split the year between New Orleans and Winter Park CO, so the new MS likely will be ideal in the garage in New Orleans for 3 or 4 months each year. Perhaps you experienced users could suggest the optimum strategy to keep the car/battery properly conditioned during this down time. Thanks
It sure would be great if the manual for the car answered this exact question. Oh, wait, it does.

I have to leave for 2 to 3 months at a time and leave my S plugged in and charged to 60% using my HPWC.... I use the app to check and have not seen any problems. It looses a few percent of charge, then begins to re-charge, and the process continues automatically.

The tires are slightly out of round for not having been ridden on, but that cures itself after a couple of miles of use when I return.

When the app notifies me of a software update, I have a friend who has a key to my house who initiates the update for me and the app let's me know that it updated. I can unlock the car for him from the app.

The biggest problem I have is missing the thrill of driving my S....

• Helpful
Reactions: jbcarioca
I have to leave for 2 to 3 months at a time and leave my S plugged in and charged to 60% using my HPWC.... I use the app to check and have not seen any problems. It looses a few percent of charge, then begins to re-charge, and the process continues automatically.

The tires are slightly out of round for not having been ridden on, but that cures itself after a couple of miles of use when I return.

When the app notifies me of a software update, I have a friend who has a key to my house who initiates the update for me and the app let's me know that it updated. I can unlock the car for him from the app.

The biggest problem I have is missing the thrill of driving my S....
Paul...thanks for the thoughtful reply. Cheers

It sure would be great if the manual for the car answered this exact question. Oh, wait, it does.
Well Rocky, I see you are having a fine day.
Since I have not taken delivery of my car, I do not have an Owner's Manual to review. Even if I did, however, it's hard for me to imagine a better reason to participate in this forum than to learn and benefit from the real world experiences of owners which instruct beyond the manual. Of course, in your case, membership also affords the opportunity to spread your unique form of goodwill and fellowship. Cheers

• Funny
Reactions: NOLA_Mike
We live in the Phoenix area where temps in the summer easily reach 110F. We own an RV and always take off North for at least three months in the summer. Our 2013 P85 sits happily in our very hot garage for all those months, plugged into the regular 240V outlet at 60% charge. After three years of doing this, I have hardly any battery degradation (still charges to 260 rated at 100%).

I've come to the conclusion there is absolutely no point worrying about how to best pamper your battery. Plug the car in every time you pull into your garage, set daily charge limit to 90% and forget about it. When away, reduce charge limit to 60% - that's all there is to it.