Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging the battery in AZ Heat/middle of the day?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. Except you lose more range. I might keep the car parked in the garage and drive ICE tomorrow since it's going to be hottest day of the year. Give my new baby a break till next year :)

Plus I haven't tinted yet b/c of ceramic vs film debate..

Yes. Except you lose more range. I might keep the car parked in the garage and drive ICE tomorrow since it's going to be hottest day of the year. Give my new baby a break till next year :)

Plus I haven't tinted yet b/c of ceramic vs film debate..

So on the hottest day, you're going to drive the car that dumps a lot more heat into your surroundings, heat soaks faster, and the one you can't turn on the AC for ten minutes before you get in?

Your choice, but I don't understand it.

So on the hottest day, you're going to drive the car that dumps a lot more heat into your surroundings, heat soaks faster, and the one you can't turn on the AC for ten minutes before you get in?

Your choice, but I don't understand it.

worried about the new car vs myself. + no tint so the sun beats down on me during commute. My old ICE has dark tint already.

Getting it tinted soon to help this issue

Last edited:
Good points. Another factor is I have to turn off cabin overheat since the charging drops to 0 miles if I turn it on. (Interior is now @ 125!)

I might start leaving the windows a little open and buy the roof covers (I wanted to make this quick since I do the charge over my lunch hour to save time in the AM!)

Cabin overheat doesn't run the AC for that long so you're charging will only drop to 0 for the 5-10 minutes it's on.

will remember that for the future. it's a 152 in there now. and power is too low @ 30 miles to enable AC :(

Whats the threshold so I can enable AC?

Also do any 3rd party apps work w/cabin protection?
Most things disable at 20%, sentry, cabin overheat, etc.

Ya, this right here in my mind is the number one reason to keep your battery over 20% on a regular basis, never mind degradation, etc.

You want to be able to always pre-cool your car before you get to it!

152F is crazy.

Ya, this right here in my mind is the number one reason to keep your battery over 20% on a regular basis, never mind degradation, etc.

You want to be able to always pre-cool your car before you get to it!

152F is crazy.

It didn't damage any electronics (thankfully!) I didn't plan on driving 3 today, but wife took both keys. Anyways, will give her a break tomorrow and garage.

Yeah it drop below 120 once it charged, but it was nerve racking as it kept going up. I will keep over 20% (did get a pop warning about damaging battery if I let it go to low). My buddy with p100D he has got battery down to 1 mile!

Similar to freezing cold up north eh?

It looks to me like a parked Tesla is going to draw power to do it’s thing. So the choices are draw it from the grid or the battery. I do a limited amount of driving and I am still trying different charging schemes. I live in Tucson. It seems I loose about 25-35% power drain over 2 weeks when I am parked without the car plugged in. I attribute that to the car cooling the battery.
Lately I keep the car plugged in at a 50% SOC. Now my battery use is going to driving miles and not car maintenance.
I don’t know what the occasional short charges are doing for the battery vs a longer charge every 2 weeks.
Hopefully the charge port and plug are robust enough to with stand many years of plugging and unplugging.
But I am thinking maybe it really doesn’t matter as long as the car gets me to where I’m going

Reactions: vickh and Saghost
Isn't this just a waste of energy?

No. Your battery is governed by Battery Management System. It's up to the BMS to use the HVAC to cool and heat your battery at any time it wants.

Without HVAC, your battery might be not optimized and thus, its longevity is cut short.

So, no, the HVAC is not a waste of energy because the BMS needs it to optimize your battery.

Now, your HVAC has a choice of using

1) the shore power directly

or

2) the battery power that's been charged from the shore power.

When you skip the direct method, there's energy loss between the shore power and the charging and the chemical process.

So, buy skipping the plug, there's more energy loss than using the plug when your BMS needs HVAC.

It's better to plug in but there's no "waste" of energy because the "waste" is serving the purpose of keeping your battery alive longer by an optimized temperature.

When you "waste" energy for a higher purpose, it is not a waste. It's a very good worthy cause.

Reactions: vickh
Thx for the great advice on this thread. Decison made since if I don't plug in I get an app message saying battery damage can happen if below 20 miles? (10%)

I'm going to follow this going forward. One time won't damage right?

Thx for the great advice on this thread. Decison made since if I don't plug in I get an app message saying battery damage can happen if below 20 miles? (10%)

What in the world are you doing that's letting the pack get that low?

You don't ever want the pack down there in any weather if you can conveniently avoid it.

Reactions: darth_vad3r

In addition to not being good for the battery, regularly running it that low and keeping it that way is risky. You paint yourself into a corner in the event that something comes up and you need to travel on short notice (natural disaster, personal emergency). This isn’t a gas car that you can just fill up on every corner in under 5 minutes. Charging takes time and it’s best to leave yourself with some options in the event that something unexpected happens. Our car is almost always over 50% when we aren’t on a road trip and actively driving to a Supercharger.

Reactions: darth_vad3r