Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging the Roadster - EU Style

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TEG has a charging page! :wink:

By the way, this bit...

European IEC 60309 connectors
230V (Blue) Single Phase
400V (Red) 3 Phase

...isn't quite right - the colour just signifies the voltage. You can have three phase blue ones (indeed, this would be the type for the US 208V system). Also, IEC is as much American as European, even if their Boston office isn't very vocal on EV connectors!

Another minor niggle: 480VAC@400A 3P is 332kW, not 192kW (multiply by sqrt 3).

This page has a nice summary of the issues. Interestingly, they claim that the Mennekes connector is pin compatible with J1772-2009 in single phase mode. Looking at the pinouts, I can't see how that is the case - did I read that right?

What does appear to be the case from the above presentation and some of the links on TEG's site is that the pilot signal is the same on both the Mennekes (inherited from IEC 309-2) and J1772, so an adapter should be easy at least.

This IEC 62196-2-X document outlines the Mennekes connector, so it clearly is not some kind of industry-only standard.

It also appears that the baseline standard is for 32A, with "case C charging" extending that to 63A three phase and 70A single phase. I guess Menekkes adopted this case, as their press release claims they can handle this current. SAE 1772 is mentioned in the introduction, but not again in the main document.

Last edited:
Has this been posted already?
RWE presents “filling station of the future” by Financial News
(1888PressRelease) July 17, 2009 - RWE is presenting the “filling station of the future” in Berlin. But it is electricity that is doing the filling, not petrol or diesel. “We want electric mobility to become an integral part of our society”, said Dr. Rolf Martin Schmitz, Board member of RWE AG, at the launch in the Sony Center on Potsdamer Platz, Berlin. The project partners are automobile club ADAC, car hire firm Sixt, Siemens and APCOA, Germany’s largest car park provider. Together, they are sending the electric filling station on a road-show tour to seven German cities.
Environmentally friendly and cost-efficient mobility

“It’s not just a question of replacing petrol by electricity. It’s about bringing renewables onto our streets”, said Rolf Martin Schmitz when describing the vision of electric mobility. New wind farms and new solar energy facilities improve the climate footprint of the electric car as they feed clean energy into the grid. With the current energy mix in Germany, electric cars are already more environmentally friendly than any petrol-driven vehicle.

“Electric mobility will become a part of our energy supply network and will increase the share of environmentally friendly power generation. Since the batteries of the electric cars can be charged for variable periods of time, the share of renewables in the grid, which fluctuate depending on time of day or year, can be utilised more efficiently”, explained Wolfgang Dehen, CEO of the project partner Siemens Energy. However, the future is not just clean, it is also cost-efficient: depending on the petrol price, it costs only half as much to fully harge an electric car as it does to fill up a petrol tank. The ADAC automobile association is also participating in the project. “The ADAC considers it essential to provide its members and the general public with comprehensive and competent information about all fuel alternatives. Electric cars play an important role here as they are a promising technology for the future,” said Stefan Mueller, ADAC’s Board Chairman.
Full infrastructure coverage

The experts at RWE estimate that there will be up to 2.5 million electric cars on Germany’s roads by the year 2020. And of course, they will need to recharge with electricity. In Berlin, RWE has already set up 56 charging points for electric cars, by mid 2010 this number will have increased to some 500. “Berlin is and will remain a city in which new and future-looking ideas will have room to develop. I am sure that very soon, the charging points, which still look slightly unusual because they are so new, will become a trademark of Berlin as a clean metropolis,” said Maria Krautzberger, State Secretary for Traffic and Urban Development.

It takes several hours to charge an electric car. This is why RWE is setting up the charging points in places where cars are parked anyway. For example, in the car parks of partner APCOA. “We believe in the future of the electric car. For us, the partnership with RWE is a project that is sending out a clear signal,” said Thomas Veith, Managing Director of APCOA Autoparking GmbH, at the launch of the road show.

Charging points will be set up in Dortmund, Dusseldorf, Essen, Frankfurt/Main, Hamburg, Stuttgart and Munich before the end of this year. But the big cities are just the start. The longterm aim is to have a network of charging points to cover the whole of Europe. For this reason 20 companies are supporting the development of a standardised charging plug that drivers can use to recharge their electric cars anywhere.
Driving enjoyment with a sporty touch

Germany’s leading mobility service provider, Sixt is also supporting the road show. “Sixt is the innovation leader in car rentals. That is why we promote alternative, low-consumption fuel types,” said Erich Sixt, Board Chairman of Sixt AG. “It is in the stop-and-go traffic in cities, where a lot of fuel is used, that electric cars can gain a good lead on conventional fuels.” Sixt, RWE and Siemens are providing an eRUF, an eRUF Greenster and a Tesla Roadster for people to do organised test drives. Visitors to the road show can see how enjoyable electric cars can be by trying them out themselves. You can see these and other cars at the “filling station of the future” in the Sony Center on Potsdamer Platz in Berlin until 19 July. After that they will be going on their road-show tour around Germany.

Road show stations:

* Berlin (Sony Center on Potsdamer Platz), 15 to 19 July 2009
* Dortmund/Essen (location see RWE Mobility), 30 July to 8 August 2009
* Dusseldorf (location see RWE Mobility), 14 to 19 August 2009
* Hamburg (location see RWE Mobility), 27 August to 2 September 2009
* Frankfurt am Main (Agora site at the IAA in Frankfurt), 10 to 27 September 2009
* Munich (location see RWE Mobility), 8 to 14 October 2009
* Mainz (location see RWE Mobility), 22 to 28 October 2009

Printable picture material:
Printable picture material on RWE electric power for cars can be downloaded free at www.rwemobility.com wurde für einen Checkdomain-Kunden registriert! and RWE Pressebilddatenbank - Login (access code: EM09).

“Filling station of the future” Cooperation between RWE and APCOA, Europe’s larg by Financial News
(1888PressRelease) June 14, 2009 - Initially, RWE charging points will be set up at 20 APCOA parking facilities in central locations in Berlin, e.g. at Alexanderplatz or at the Brandenburg Gate. The next step will then be to expand the RWE charging point infrastructure to car parks in other large cities such as Hamburg, Dusseldorf, Frankfurt, Stuttgart and Munich.

Thomas Veith, Managing Director of APCOA Autoparking GmbH said, “electric vehicles will play an important role in mobility in the future. APCOA is purposefully investing in the filling station of the future and is offering its customers pioneering services.”

With this strategic partnership, RWE AG has taken one step further towards its objective of developing a full nationwide network of filling stations for electric vehicles. “We are delighted to have Europe’s market leader in car park operations as a partner in setting up the necessary infrastructure for our charging points. Together, we want to demonstrate to consumers that it will soon be a very simple thing for the general public to recharge their vehicles,” said Carolin Reichert, responsible for electric mobility at RWE.

The charging points are being set up in Berlin by RWE and Daimler’s joint pilot project for e-mobility. RWE AG is installing 500 charging points and is using 100 electric Smart cars to test how the public charging infrastructure works, as well as examining the driving behaviour of the users. Until 2012, the largest such project in the world will be finding out how e-mobility can be brought onto the street.

Information on APCOA
APCOA is the largest European car park operator and offers facility owners a full service package for parking. This includes operating parking facilities based on leasing or management agreements. The APCOA Group currently manages some 1.2 million individual parking spaces at more than 5,400 locations in 18 European countries.

Jan-Peter Schwartz
Head of External Communications
T+49-201-12-15023
F+49-201-12-15094

RWE AG - Strom. Gas. Wasser. Dienstleistungen.

While this isn't a dedicated 3P > 1P converter, I've seen that Mitsubishi make very compact inverter-based motor controllers which perform a similar function (and more).

650860_211955.jpg

These devices are again using power electronics, rectifying the incoming 3P AC to DC, then reconstructing a variable frequency and voltage 3P waveform to run the attached motor efficiently. It seems to me that if the output stage was programmed to invert all three phases in phase (i.e. 0 deg offset) and the output was paralleled, this would virtually give us what we want. (of course, with a new design it could be a single inverter stage.)

Conceptually, it looks like this:

800px-PWM_VFD_Diagram.png

The 7.2kVA model measures 108x128x165mm and weighs 1.5kg. The 13kVA model is 220x150x147, 3.2kg. The 23kVA model is 220x260x190, 5.9kg. Losses range from 180-500W.

Manual

Better still, they are under £1000.

Am I totally barking up the wrong tree, or does this show that there is no fundamental reason why a lightweight, portable converter can't be built?

As an aside, even the 0.5MVA ones are ~£30k. I wonder if this is a good pointer for the eventual cost of a fast charger?

Last edited:
The 7.2kVA model measures 108x128x165mm and weighs 1.5kg. The 13kVA model is 220x150x147, 3.2kg. The 23kVA model is 220x260x190, 5.9kg. Losses range from 180-500W.

Am I totally barking up the wrong tree, or does this show that there is no fundamental reason why a lightweight, portable converter can't be built?

If they've been able to shrink the size of the new PEM, this sort of circuit could be added within the existing frame of the vehicle. Also allowing the internal cable between the PEM and the charge socket to be made a bit lighter.

Roadster 3.0?

Last edited:
I am such a 'tard. Of course, the 3P to DC circuitry is already on-board.

But there is a question if the regen circuit really could sustain continuous current for a whole charge cycle like that.

Would 3 phase line current be comparable to AC current coming from a 'regenning' drive motor?

Also how do you switch the connections from the motor over to the 3 phase charging circuit?

I suspect it is all doable, but there might be some complications.

The European standard charging plug for cars is selected after Mennekes design — Autoblog Green

The Mennekes charging standard is a bit puzzling.

"The plug works both for single phase 230-Volt connections, the vast majority of European outlets, as well as three-phasing up to 63 amps and 400 Volts, which results in a much shorter recharging time."

Tt doesn't sense that all European EVs would have the same connector even though not all European EVs would charge charge from three-phase/single-phase.

Diesel stations have different nozzles than gasoline stations, shouldn't it be the same for single-phase vs. three-phase charging?

Shouldn't the connectors be different to avoid the balancing issues you guys were talking about at the beginning of the thread?:confused:

I am fully convinced that, in specifying the requirements for this standard, RWE and it's partners have understood something profound: that the biggest remaining obstacles to practical use of EVs as primary cars are:

1. How to drive a long distance down the autobahn in a single day on the occasions when I need to.
2. How the millions of apartment-dwellers should recharge routinely.

RWE have addressed this by choosing to offer up to 400V 3-phase 63A for recharge. This delivers a 43 kW charge rate.When combined with around 50kWh batteries (in the model of Tesla) the impact is game-changing.

Consider a car with the range of the Tesla Roadster (200 miles Range Mode with the central 160 miles routinely used in Standard Mode). Those central 160 miles use 80% of 53 kWh ~= 43 kWh. So on a 43kW charger the Roadster could in principle recharge 43kWh in an hour (ignoring charging losses) or 160 miles range per hour.

Note: this combination doesn't exist yet because Tesla doesn't support 3-phase charging.

Nevertheless RWE are taking a bold step of the "if you build it they will come" variety. And in my view they have found a sweet spot that manages to exceed a new threshold of user acceptance and yet is within the capability of utilities to deliver cost-effectively.

What are the implications of 160 mph charging?

1. You can cruise down the autobahn/motorway/interstate for 2-2.5 hours, covering around 160 miles, then take a one hour break for comfort and recharge, then cover another 160 miles, another 1 hour charge and comfort break, and repeat ad infinitum. (or variants like drive 100 miles, charge 40 minutes, repeat)

To me this 2:1 drive:rest ratio seems entirely acceptable. I think a large fraction (but not all) of the population would agree (agreeing: those who roadtrip less often and when they do drive up to 500 miles per day requiring just two intermediate 1 hour breaks assuming charging at either end of the day is available; disagreeing: travelling sales people and commercial reps for whom time is money).

By contrast the best-case for current gen Tesla Roadster roadtripping of 160 miles followed by 240V 40-70A recharge (10-17 kW) requires 2.5 to 4.5 hour breaks after 2-3 hours of driving. This ratio of 1:1 to 1:2 drive:rest falls short of my patience threshold. I totally appreciate the pioneering efforts of people in the Tesla Owners community in this regard, but I think the vast majority of people won't accept the resulting travel times for long drives.

If the Roadster incorporates the RWE 43kW standard in future and the German autobahn network (and hopefully other countries networks' around Europe as well) are equipped with 43kW chargers every 100 miles or so, then the Tesla Roadster will be a joy to drive across Europe.

On the utility side, 400V 3-phase 63A (43 kW) is easy for utilities like RWE to deliver to just about anywhere on their grid. Motorway service stations defintely have it.

2. Consider installing such 43 kW chargers at all the usual opportunity charging locations (malls, cinemas, restaurants, public buildings, ...). This solves the other problem: what to do for the millions who live in apartment building who park on street.

We all know the stats that say 90% of driving is less than 40 miles per day. If an EV does 160 miles between charges for city driving, and then re-fills in an hour, then 90% of drivers won't have to charge more than once every 4 days or twice a week. (Many drivers who do fewer miles per day will be fine charging weekly or fortnightly for around town driving.)

An hour charge while at the cinema, gym, supermarket is absolutely fine.

On the utility side, installing thousands of 43 kW chargers in concentrated locations like malls where 400V 3-phase is readily available, is a darned sight easier than ripping up thousands of miles of city streets to equip millions of parking spots with slow (overnight) chargers. (Broadly I estimate that one 43kW at a mall can substitute for around 30 kerbside overnight chargers, and in the early adoption phase gets a far higher leverage factor - ask for details if interested.)

RWE and their consortium partners have been careful not to disenfranchise cars that charge more slowly. They allow single phase up to 70A. I think utilities will easily be able to manage the unbalanced load issues on single phase use of the chargers in public places like malls where vehicle charging is just one of many uses of their electric grid.

To conclude:

To my mind the RWE/Mennekes charging standard allows EVs to be built that allow reasonable time long-distance driving and easy use for city dwellers without private parking.

This is breakthrough territory.

It allows someone to think of buying an EV as their only car, no longer needing either a second car ICE to cover occasional road trips or a PHEV. And it allows EVs to be used by apartment dwellers with a broadly familiar mode of use (park on the street without charging, fill up at the supermarket every so often - in Europe supermarkets already have gas stations and sell a lot of fuel. )

I don't see this as the final end-point - higher charging kW profiles will follow, but this standard crosses a threshold. It does it with standard power already delivered all over the place in Europe; low-cost infrastructure and plugs; cable and sockets capable of being used by anyone.

Andrew Bissell (copyright and republication rights reserved)

Last edited by a moderator:
But there is a question if the regen circuit really could sustain continuous current for a whole charge cycle like that.

Would 3 phase line current be comparable to AC current coming from a 'regenning' drive motor?

Obviously it's fun to speculate, but I presume the circuit or cooling of the PEM could be beefed up to handle this (and the latter would have to be done for a separate circuit anyway).

The Mennekes plug can deliver a very similar amount of power to that which I have seen quoted for regen (44 vs. 40kW)

TEG said:
Also how do you switch the connections from the motor over to the 3 phase charging circuit?

How does the PEM do it now (or how did it with reductive charging in the old design)?

The Mennekes charging standard is a bit puzzling.

"The plug works both for single phase 230-Volt connections, the vast majority of European outlets, as well as three-phasing up to 63 amps and 400 Volts, which results in a much shorter recharging time."

Yes, 230V <16A outlets form the vast majority of outlets as they are the default domestic ones. They are also found on the majority of today's on-street charging stations.

That's fine for small cars like NICE and G-Wiz, but for high-power EVs like Tesla's it isn't. As you know, even for an overnight charge the car needs >30A. The issue is that some power companies don't like this happening on a single phase as AlpineDriver has found.

Furthermore, even where it isn't requirement, these sockets still exist. I know of even industrial installations in the UK where the main board is 63A 3P. You couldn't run the HPC from one of the phases, yet there is more than enough power available to do a fast charge.

Joseph said:
Tt doesn't sense that all European EVs would have the same connector even though not all European EVs would charge charge from three-phase/single-phase.

Diesel stations have different nozzles than gasoline stations, shouldn't it be the same for single-phase vs. three-phase charging?

Shouldn't the connectors be different to avoid the balancing issues you guys were talking about at the beginning of the thread?:confused:

I suppose the difference between diesel/gasoline and 1P/3P is that you can put more intelligence into an electrical connection. The Mennekes-equipped charging station, cable and car will be able to work out which is the weakest link in the chain and charge at that component's fastest rate. It means that average users only have to carry one cable, not bother about things like volts and amps and only worry about how long they have to leave their car on the charger (something I'm sure will be communicated in a user-friendly manner).

Larger charging stations like the 3P Elektrobays and the RWE ones that we have seen will probably have to do balancing internally. Others can tell the car their requirements.

However, this scenario is a while away. In the meantime the trailblazers will have to carry a multitude of plugs and do this themselves - just like in the US - with the added complication that you might want to scavenge (or even charge at home) from a 3P source.

EDIT: Andrew posted in the meantime - 100% agreed.

P.S. It should be remembered that this Mennekes design is not officially a standard. It appears to be their proposal for a new IEC standard which is at least a year away from ratification. Clearly, announcing it as such is a political move designed to railroad their design through. As a "standards" person, this kind of thing normally annoys me, but in this case given that 1) it appears to be well thought out and 2) time is of the essence, I will forgive them :smile:.

Last edited:
As you know, even for an overnight charge the car needs >30A. The issue is that some power companies don't like this happening on a single phase as AlpineDriver has found.

Assuming that you and your immediate neighbours have a daily commute/range need of around 200 miles and share a similar taste in cars.

In an average neighbourhood we can expect a mixture of BEV and plug-in hybrids. So we could see a wider range of required currents/ charging habits.

However, the Friday night recharge-for-the-weekend could be the issue.

Maybe a Smartgrid could improve phase balancing? Or 3P is fitted as standard in new garages.

Assuming that you and your immediate neighbours have a daily commute/range need of around 200 miles and share a similar taste in cars.

Maybe a Smartgrid could improve phase balancing? Or 3P is fitted as standard in new garages.

If your neighbours have the same cars and range requirements, the problem goes away :wink:

A smart grid could help, but it requires a lot more EVs to be in the field to improve the chances of other local ones being on different phases.

If we rearchitected local distribution into a star topology, so that the substation could switch individual houses onto different phases as necessary, it could help - but what are the chances of that? :frown: I guess you could have 3P into the garage and use a remotely controlled transfer switch to select between phases, but if you have it there it seems silly not to send it straight to the car and get the 3P benefits.

Last edited:
For everyone interested:

I charge on 1 phase 32A, my electrician just installed me a 3 phase plug outside and connected only 1 phase to the cable.

Pics:

attachment.php?attachmentid=408&stc=1&d=1253460994.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=409&stc=1&d=1253460994.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=410&stc=1&d=1253460994.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=411&stc=1&d=1253460994.jpg

Greetings from Germany

Attachments

• IMG_0558.jpg
    IMG_0558.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 391
  • IMG_0559.jpg
    IMG_0559.jpg