Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging the Roadster - EU Style

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's the reason behind the 32A limitation of the European MC 240? Is it simply the CEE plug?

As you can see from this link: http://essentialsupplies.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Plugs___Sockets_84.html the CEE standard can go up to 125A single phase, so the restriction is more one of practicality. Greater currents require beefier cables and electronics which all add to the weight and general unwieldiness. You have to have the strength to bend/lift the cable to pack it into the boot etc.

Plus given that public charging facilities are likely to have a short lifespan before increasing battery capacities make them obsolete, the cheapest option is that they offer 16 or maybe 32 Amps (here in the UK). Once public facilities die out, these simplest/cheapest domestic ratings will continue to be used in an increasing number of homes.

Last edited:
The trouble is that (and I'm not subscribing to this public facilities dying out theory for a while) once we get into 500 mile battery territory, even household overnight charging will need to be at 63 Amps for a full charge.

But another current consideration is that 63A sockets (the next size above 32A) are far more rare and there is a disproportionate jump in parts costs at that level too.

Thanks.... I guess what I'm asking is what's the difference between the two cables supplied by Tesla... is it just the termination connector (CEE or 14-50)?

The main (US) site provides this guide. http://shop.teslamotors.com/collect...ersal-mobile-connector-available-october-2009 There is the multi-charger with many attachments and also the single yellow cable (which I guess can be made up with the connectors of your choice)
The NEMA is a US standard so you'd need to contact one of the Tesla stores in your country (UK) for details. Obviously, they would only sell you the one which is correct for your location. Notice that the charger is rated at 240V, 40A.

universal_chargetimes.gif

Last edited:
once we get into 500 mile battery territory, even household overnight charging will need to be at 63 Amps for a full charge.

But that's only true if you go on a 500 mile trip, get there (or get back home) and realise you have forgotton something vital which can't be mailed to you and which you have to collect the very next day - not an impossibility, just a bit unlikely.

Otherwise, if you are in the habit of keeping the battery half-full you won't need 63A for an overnight charge.

Last edited:
The NEMA is a US standard so you'd need to contact one of the Tesla stores in your country (UK) for details. Obviously, they would only sell you the one which is correct for your location. Notice that the charger is rated at 240V, 40A.
I've contacted Tesla but can't get a definitive answer about what's different between the two cables. If it's just the termination connector then I can buy in Europe and replace with a 50A part if I so wish (I appreciate they have a 80% derating factor to get to 40A). If however, the US cable is different in some other way then I can buy in the US (I have offices and homes in both the UK and US).

But another current consideration is that 63A sockets (the next size above 32A) are far more rare and there is a disproportionate jump in parts costs at that level too.
I fully understand this.... I intend to deploy a number of simple charge points... in locations where I need a 'quick' charge I'll put a 63A and 16A CEE connector, elsewhere a 32A and 16A CEE connector. I hope that many of these sites will offer access the EV Community free of charge.

OK I see where you are coming from. (By the way, welcome to the site. I'm also originally from Bradford on Avon - must me something in the water.)

We had another thread on the technicalities of the charge signalling. I'm not sure if there are hard limits in the EU MC240 that limit it to 30A, but on other mobile chargers there is a diode whose polarity tells the charger what current to allow. There is also a thermal switch which cuts out if the plug overheats.

It would be very easy to convert that other charger to work in the EU, but the original project to do so petered out. It seems there may be demand for it after all.

most EU - electric company's will not allow higher currents on a single phase - because of "Schieflast" :) - unbalanced loads
this is a non issue in the UK today.... I'm looking to deploy a 48A (32A + 16A) service at domestic properties, and 79A (63A + 16A) at commercial properties.... my brother runs a electrical installation company and has confirmed that these installations can meet all of the current requirements.

Obviously, "Schieflast" will become more of an issue as the number of EV's grows, but that really is not an issue I need to worry about today... or maybe for many years...

This is also getting a little bit away from my original question.... what I'm trying to find out is whether the only difference between the US and EU cable is the termination connector.

And that it limits the current to 30A in the Roadster. The next standard CEE connector would be 64A and those are not often seen. Remember that the red CEE is a three phase plug and could deliver a lot more power, if the Roadster could rectify 3 phases.
- Alfred

TexxEnergy (Switzerland) is planning to place new Versions of their charging stations featuring also 63 A Tesla connectors at important motorway locations. The first station is planned for Gunzgen A1, opening May 2011.
Specs planned:

2 x 32A 230V (IMiev)
2 x 16A 230V (CEE)
2 x 63A 230V (Tesla)
2 x 32A 400V (CEE)
4 x 16A 230V (CEE)

The stations include plenty of software and server connections for services, including billing and maintenance. Their construction is essentially modular and can accommodate a wide range of services. Some station will include their own storage, permitting very fast charges and benefits from off-peak electricity recharging.

Further info from:
T e x x E n e r g y A G
Koordination Office
Technopark D4 Platz4
CH-6039 R o o t
tel. +41 (41) 3422424
nat +41 (76) 3682525
[email protected]
www.texxenergy.ch

Nice!
1 hour charge @ 64 Amps should give approx. 80 km range. Thats enough to reach Bern or Zurich.

I just hope they don't just place on in Gunzgen Nord but also in Gunzgen Süd. Cause Gunzgen Süd has the Mövenpick restaurant.... ;)

Exaclty, and yes - both sides are planned to get their stations for up to 6 cars charging simultaneously. Excellent "bring you home coffee-stop" location. We need more of those. Yesterday I test-charged at one of their charge points in Rathausen (CKW head office) near Emmen at 30A with my MC 240 (red CEE 32A). Those stations (their VT-80) are very powerful. For Gunzgen 500A in total were mentioned. They also said that powerful connections can be realised very easily in Switzerland as the basic grid is very strong. Nevertheless they reckon that their battery buffered version will be welcome, as it should be able to benefit from lower tariffs at night and day-time peak shaving, also with no cars connected. Payment systems are cleverly thought out. Among those: Tourists can just buy a prepaid card and if you register with your mobile phone, end of charge will be signalled by SMS. We talked some about Car-to-Grid. Their immediate plans are rather tending towards "Charge Point to Grid". This from the grid operators perspective. For them it very much matters where balancing is needed and can be called upon at short notice (and not from where a given car just happens to be).