Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging the Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
95d1228454526-more-roadster-photos-20081204192620-_mg_8736.jpg
97d1228455063-more-roadster-photos-20081204192721-_mg_8739.jpg

Not rocket science: the HCP cable is just attached to an unrelated conduit by cable ties.
Heh... awesome. Looks what I did in the lab with the power cable to the Ar+ laser.

Last edited:
I was going to do approximately the same thing, only I was thinking of adding a pulley, rope, and counterweight at the end to pull the business end up and out of the way normally. But then, I've already got a big rectangle of dense foem dangling between the cars :).

Bill, thanks for the pictures, it helps me visualize what it'll look like in my garage!

Nice! Do you have any idea on how long the cable is?

-g
I didn't think to check when I took the photos, but I can try to make an order of magnitude estimate from them. Looks like there are 6-8 loops in the coil; median diameter of the loops is maybe 10 inches.
8 x 10 inches x pi ~ 20 feet

20 ft is probably an upper limit, so say 15 to 20 feet.

Last edited:
Nice design.

Brilliant Yellow cable.

Wonder if they're allowed to do other colours to match the cars. Probably not.

Any word on the version for the EU? Will it be rated for 240V max and be fitted with the standard wall plug for that country? I hope so. Don't want to mess about with adapters.

At this point they cannot legaly make a Dryer plug version of this.

So could you buy two and cut off the Edison plug and put on a dryer plug?

So what are there, like a million standards of these?
2005-0304-ps-dryer-plug.jpg

dryerplugs.jpg

plugconfigurations.gif

The wire gauge may be undersized too so limiting current could cause overheating.

So where do you buy the Tesla connector? This might be a nice little side business.

Last edited:
So could you buy two and cut off the Edison plug and put on a dryer plug?

I suspect the cable has some sort of signal to tell the Roadster what sort of voltage is coming and how much current it can draw. If you "Frankensteined" a cable like you said you might do bad things to the Roadster... I would stick with Tesla OEM cables to be safe.

I suspect the cable has some sort of signal to tell the Roadster what sort of voltage is coming and how much current it can draw. If you "Frankensteined" a cable like you said you might do bad things to the Roadster... I would stick with Tesla OEM cables to be safe.

Is that the purpose of the PCB in that box above? I forget. You can set the max current the car will draw from the VDS.

Personally, I'm in favor of owners with the appropriate skills and knowledge to make their own cables as a stop gap measure. I've had to do similar things in the lab with equipment that was much more expensive. (Then again, that wasn't my money... other than what I pay in taxes.)

Well, I "home brewed" a NEMA 14-50 on my spare RangerEV (Avcon) charger controller (so I could hook up at campgrounds and such), so I am one to talk.

Actually I have only used it on the road once as I almost always charge at stations with Avcon cables already there.

From the Tesla FAQ,

"The standard cable for the High Power Connector is 25 ft long (762 cm). The NEC (National Electrical Code) limits this cable length to 25 ft (762 cm). The main Mobile Connector cable will be 18 ft (549 cm) with the adapter cable being an additional 2 ft (61 cm)"

This must be outdates. It doesn't really add up with the pictures.

I was told at the London event that there was nothing clever about that box midway along the prototype charging cables, the current limit was only set in the car.

One other question: Is that plastic connector waterproof, particularly around the long grey removal button?