Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging the Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
http://www.saxton.org/tom_saxton/2008/09/tesla-motors-seattle-road-show.htmlLet me get this straight. Tesla cannot sell a 240V/50A mobile charge cable, but an RV manufacturer or supplier can?
Does this sort of nonsense apply in the EU?
Not likely. Though I'm sure the EU has it's own share of nonsense.

I was told at the London event that there was nothing clever about that box midway along the prototype charging cables...
Then what's its purpose? Safety interlock?

Based on what I have been told and on reading the documentation for the Home Charge unit, the car does set the charge rate but there is an output from the charger that tells the car the available voltage & maximum current.

The box may have just been a ground fault detector, that is now built into the plug on the new cable.

If you chopped of the 110V head and grafted on a 220V you could lose the ground fault disconnect mechanism which reduces the safety. Also, I don't know if the Tesla side would be OK taking 220V on the same wires. Do you have to reconfigure the pins in any way for 220V compared to 110V?

(Better know what you are doing to avoid expensive and/or dangerous mistakes!)

To answer an earlier question, I've had it confirmed that the European version of the roadster will come with a 220/240V, 32A version of the mobile charger. This will no doubt come with a CEE form connector (sometimes called a 'commando plug') as these do crop up in a few unlikely locations (theatre stage lighting being one use, but construction sites and other industrial locations do have them too). There will have to be an adapter for when you need to use the more common local plugs (which vary across Europe).

132-01.jpg

The high-power 70A home charger will also be available over here too.

Last edited by a moderator:
There will have to be an adapter for when you need to use the more common local plugs (which vary across Europe).
Now I feel better. I was thinking how lame it is we have so many "standards" for 220V plugs in the US. At first I chalked it up to being first. (Crappy NTSC -first but worst of the TV standards) but there is also geography. If I think how many standards there are in Europe over the same square mile footprint of the USA, you would need a trunkload of adapters for an EU trip VS a US cross counrty the same distance.

If I think how many standards there are in Europe over the same square mile footprint of the USA, you would need a trunkload of adapters for an EU trip VS a US cross counrty the same distance.

Perhaps I made it sound worse than it is.

There is a type of plug called a CEE 7/7 which can be used in virtually every mainland European country. The only caveat is that in Denmark, Switzerland and Italy it is ungrounded - each of those countries still perseveres with its own placement of the earth pin. They can handle 16A at 230V.

cee77.jpg

As usual, the UK and Ireland have a completely different system called BS1363, although the CEE 7/7 can be forced into a UK socket with brute force and judicious use of a screwdriver in the earth hole (don't try this at home kids). They allow 13A at 240V.

So the bottom line is, if you are planning a European Roadster roadtrip, make sure your charging cord is equipped with a CEE 7/7 connector and it's probably best to get the UK adapter rather than a screwdriver.

Europe_to_UK_plug_adaptor_ETA_U5_.jpg

In the above picture, the left shows the mainland European socket side of the adapter, with the grounding done through the tabs at the top and bottom. The right side shows the UK arrangement, with its rectangular pins. Note all UK plugs are fused on the appliance side, you can just see this fuse in the hole in the middle of the adapter.

Up to you if you want to take their Danish, Swiss and Italian counterparts, but it's not strictly necessary.

Last edited:
To answer an earlier question, I've had it confirmed that the European version of the roadster will come with a 220/240V, 32A version of the mobile charger. There will have to be an adapter for when you need to use the more common local plugs (which vary across Europe).
The high-power 70A home charger will also be available over here too.

Thanks David

That's excellent. 70A at home, maybe 32A in a few locations, 16A widely available right now on campsites.

Hotels and offices would certainly be able to install 16A. Maybe 32, but if cars are going to be connected for most of the day or night, why bother?

An infrastructure with low up-front installation costs. That's what we need

Hotels and offices would certainly be able to install 16A. Maybe 32, but if cars are going to be connected for most of the day or night, why bother?

An infrastructure with low up-front installation costs. That's what we need

I'm actually going through these costs at the moment for work.

There's virtually no difference between installing 32A or 16A versions of these as the parts costs are minimal and the labour is the same - as long as the building supply can handle it (and commercial ones generally can).

I'm actually going through these costs at the moment for work.

There's virtually no difference between installing 32A or 16A versions of these as the parts costs are minimal and the labour is the same - as long as the building supply can handle it (and commercial ones generally can).

That's excellent.

Any details available for a new thread?

Many people who live in flats might prefer to recharge at work (although they'd lose out on cheap-rate electricity)

Last edited:
I think the various 220 volt plug types here in the US are a result of different amperage, as well as indoor and outdoor types. You don't want someone plugging in a 20 amp 220 volt cord into a 50 amp 220 volt outlet.

I think the flipside is what you want to avoid - putting a 50amp device into a 20 amp outlet. A 50 amp outlet should have no problem running a 20 amp device.

NEMA 14-50 seems to be the dominant cable choice for home brew 220V EV chargers in the US...
u431858.jpg
Cooper_Wiring_Devices_Nema_14-50_5754N.jpg

ps3854-ea-3.jpg

Likely to lead to a clash of cultures. Some car drivers feel that there is a particular circle of hell reserved for caravan owners.

You think Top Gear did a number of the Roadster on their show?...
Did you see the episode where they went caravan camping?
They ridiculed the culture then literally set fire to the place.

Intentional outrageousness or careless camping? Either way it wasn't pretty.

Sometimes watching Top Gear is like driving by an accident scene. Rubbernecker TV.

Electrical hook-up in UK caravan sites.

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/NR/rdo...0-A88C-48D2976B2AC1/0/Hookinguptothemains.pdf

Likely to lead to a clash of cultures. Some car drivers feel that there is a particular circle of hell reserved for caravan owners.

I looked at that too, but you will notice that the camp sites only provide 16A versions of those connectors (they come in 16, 32 and 63A single and three phase and 125A three phase only).

It probably isn't worth going out of your way for those extra 3 amps.

This is a 125A three phase cable. Not too unwieldy.

cable_125_200w.jpg

Last edited: