Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging the Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are going to charge with 50A, make the breaker at 60A as well as the wiring. Otherwise you may loose to much voltage at the wire and the breaker may be get triggered as well after a few hours on hight load.

In most jurisdictions that is a requirement of the electrical code. The maximum permitted load is 80% of the rated load. Thus the 70A HPC requires a 90A circuit.

I'm not 100% sure what your errors are, but I had a similar problem (technically two different problems that are both similar to yours).
When you charge, do the LED's at the charge port turn red? Is the LED on the UMC red?

I haven't had any significant problems with my car, but I did have 2 problems with my UMC. My 1st UMC worked for a couple weeks, my 2nd UMC worked for almost 2 months, my current UMC is still working and approaching 3 months. TM was very good about it. They shipped a new UMC overnight no questions asked. As soon as I plugged it in and it worked, they asked that I ship the broken UMC back (they paid shipping). I wouldn't worry too much yet, wait and see what happens with the replacement UMC.

I'm wondering if the old UMC had problems like this. Is it a problem with the new design, or is it just dsm and I who are having problems with the UMC?

It started working the next day again. I wonder if there was simply too much load on the house or the area at that time.
When it wasn't working, the charge port door would turn red as soon as it was connected to the charger. It's working now though.

In most jurisdictions that is a requirement of the electrical code. The maximum permitted load is 80% of the rated load. Thus the 70A HPC requires a 90A circuit.

This is a North America thing. Breakers are rated for transient loads and continuous is 20% less. Over here in Europe kit is labelled for continuous load - so pulling say 32A from a 32A outlet on a 32A breaker is fine and indeed I have done it.

Didn't get that difference at all when I came out to the US in '01. Our company set up in a new office with an old building UPS. Rated at 100A I thought we had loads of spare capacity at 80A... middle of the night... click and it's dark and we're off the air.

They don't tell you these things in the Welcome pack :cursing:

How long do you have to be gone for it to be worth charging your Roadster in storage mode? I'm going on a long weekend trip (Wed-Sun kind of trip) at some point but wasn't sure if it was necessary to keep it in storage mode or not. Thanks.

How long do you have to be gone for it to be worth charging your Roadster in storage mode? I'm going on a long weekend trip (Wed-Sun kind of trip) at some point but wasn't sure if it was necessary to keep it in storage mode or not. Thanks.
Probably not necessary, but shouldn't hurt. I guess the main thing is what charge level you need when you return (since it may have dropped some). Would be nice if you could check and set that remotely.

Probably not necessary, but shouldn't hurt. I guess the main thing is what charge level you need when you return (since it may have dropped some). Would be nice if you could check and set that remotely.

Thanks. That won't be a problem. I'll have plenty of time to fully recharge when I get back and I don't drive more than 50 miles in a day (at most) anyway.

I honestly wouldn't bother for a long weekend. When my Roadster is in storage mode, SOC drops by about 0.5% per day, or a little over a mile of range per day.

Caveat: this is during cold weather. If active cooling is required due to high heat, the SOC will probably drop much faster.

It's stated that charging in performance mode will charge the battery up to 100% and with higher voltage than normal.
So here is my theory: If you charge in performance mode to 100% and then drive only in range mode, you should at least get the same mileage as when charged in range mode. Is it possible you could get a handfull more miles with performance charging?

Tesla Perpetual Connector | Facebook

Well this makes our discussion about charging station locations obsolete...

197257_10150163680627801_18790602800_6686643_565246_n.jpg

206955_10150163680642801_18790602800_6686644_3176507_n.jpg

It's stated that charging in performance mode will charge the battery up to 100% and with higher voltage than normal.
So here is my theory: If you charge in performance mode to 100% and then drive only in range mode, you should at least get the same mileage as when charged in range mode. Is it possible you could get a handfull more miles with performance charging?

Range and Performance charge to the same level. Range mode shows range based on the full battery, but performance doesn't include the bottom 10%.