TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Charging the Roadster

Discussion in 'Roadster 2008-2012' started by malcolm, Sep 14, 2008.

1. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

There are also these:

30_%26_50_Amp_Plug_%26_Dog_Bone_001__27351_zoom.jpg

2. tomsax

tomsax Member

3. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

And in main land Europe, you can buy a preconfigured unit for outside wall mounting ("Drehstromkiste")
    DSK-Neu-01_w150.jpg

4. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Though circuit breakers are not cycle rated for twice daily use.

5. tomsax

tomsax Member

It's not hard to replace a worn out breaker, well worth not get zapped when plugging or unplugging.

6. dadaleus

dadaleus 4GETOIL P85#S70,FdrX,S85D

Well the outlet is now in at our 2nd office, sans switch. I'll start using it Tuesday. No handle on my UMC so just have to be careful.

7. dadaleus

dadaleus 4GETOIL P85#S70,FdrX,S85D

8. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Got mine at the local RV accessory showroom. Replacing the end with a yellow handled plug is the other way to go.

9. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Looks as if it would be easy enough to make if you had some strap material, maybe an old cargo strap. Just make sure it's not conductive, or wet :scared:

10. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

9 bucks

11. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Well yeah, that's a valid point :redface: I guess that's taking DIY beyond rational thought :biggrin:

12. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

How do those straps fair if you get a hot pin I wonder?

13. PV-EV

PV-EV Member

True, but that is 'under load' (unless Switch Duty Rated). If you slide the switch on the UMC to off then current is stopped and the breaker is spared abuse when you switch it off to eliminate the shock hazard at the plug. Unplugging under load will burn up the plug before it trashes the breaker.

14. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Point taken but there is still the mechanical part of a breaker. Another bit not designed for twice daily use. More like once a year or so.

15. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

It may depend on the breaker. The charger in my conversion, a Manzanita PFC30, uses the circuit breaker as the on off switch. They've been in use for years and I've never heard of a recurring problem with their use.

16. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

> A 100% charge in standard mode is to 85% SOC but it is still supposedly good to finish soon before you leave in the morning although it does balance the cells for maybe an hour after a standard mode charge. [dsm363] - from: firmware wishlist thread. Might make more sense here:

The basic 120 volt 'emergency' charging cable does this balancing process silently, obviously, so unless you are watching the Roadster screen real time, you would be unaware of this process. As I was. Lately using the 'big charger' I heard all this clunking going on outside the house and investigated. The screen just said: charging, charging stopped, charging, charging stopped, etc etc. alternating every 30 seconds or so. So I stopped charging & disconnected thinking it was the fault of the EVSE. Have done so a few times. This is why I've been only getting ~185 mile charges lately instead of ~194, DOH!!

There are other methods to balancing, but this is the everyday method, apparently.

When I find this going on in future I'll just switch to the basic cable and let it finish balancing in silence. And when I go away on a trip I'll now use the basic cable instead of the big EVSE. No moving parts and it has never tripped the GFI, whereas the big EVSE a few times has gone PROTECTION mode, with no car connected, so not something I want to trust for weeks at a time.
    --

17. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I've never seen it do that, and I've seen it finish charging on my HPC more than a few times. So I'm not sure that is normal.

18. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

That sounds bad. Did you get a red ring on the charging port?

I would suggest getting the logs checked by Tesla.

19. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Roadsters should have an HPC at Supercharger sites!

20. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I'm still trying to process the news that the supercharging sites will NOT have a Roadster HPC. I'm not feeling the love.