TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Charging the Roadster

Discussion in 'Roadster 2008-2012' started by malcolm, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

They may have to provide a J1772 to participate in any state or federal subsidies! Don't be too upset yet!!

2. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Remember the base S is excluded from charging as well, so far.

3. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

That's why it's a double win if the Tesla 2.0 plug HPC is installed at the Supercharge sites and the Roadster is also converted to the 2.0 socket. Both cars benefit!

4. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Sure, I'm just saying if the Model S itself doesn't get to "feel the love" for the base model the Roadster seems even further removed. Remember it's not just available outlets that need to be provided but the amount of power delivery for fast charging support as well.

5. rsquared99

rsquared99 Member

So, charge Roadster owners for the use of the HPC at SuperCharger locations to pay for the HPC installation. I'd pay to shorten the 6 hour wait recharging at an RV site, down to 3 hours at the SC site. I think the difference between the base version of the Model S and the Roadster, is the Roadster has the legs to get between most of the proposed sites, the base Model S does not. Let's assume that Tesla plans to erect some large central solar panel facility to offset power consumption at the SC stations (maybe the rooftop of the manufacturing facility). That might be more economical to maintain than separate installations. It would also be more easily expandable for including the Roadsters now and Gen III cars as they come on line. At least, that's how I'd like to see them handle it.

6. erha

erha Member

I don't think the power or the extra sockets are the main problem here. I think it's more a question of how much space a supercharger station will have for parking. If you get some roadsters and base Model S charging for several hours at a station, there will be no space for supercharging. Or you would need a much bigger station.

7. driver_EV

driver_EV Member

I suspect the Roadster battery upgrade offer may allow Supercharger compatibility too.
    It would be very interesting if that happens.
    Tesla knows how to do it!

8. tomsax

tomsax Member

Supercharger support would be awesome, but that would take a lot more engineering and manufacturing work than a battery pack upgrade.

A battery pack upgrade could be as simple as making a new pack identical to the old pack, same enclosure, cooling and electronics, just newer/better cells. There would probably also be a firmware update required, but perhaps nothing onerous.

Adding Supercharger support would require engineering and producing a whole new PEM, a gigantic undertaking for a tiny market.

9. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

This is what I have heard too. I am wondering if they will have the supercharger connector and charge at a slower rate. Possible ? With a 350 -400 mile range even charging slower would still get them around the country until the Roadster3 comes out.

10. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

It's not necessarily a completely new PEM. What is needed is to change the charge port, add the interface electronics to the J1772 control lines, upgrade a processor somewhere, or add a new processor to talk Supercharger protocol (this could be taken from the CHAdeMO adapter), and provide the large gauge wires and relay for the direct DC connection to the battery. It's probably pretty tight for the wires and relay, but everything else is pretty small and off the shelf. I bet Tesla could figure out an upgrade kit to do this with the new battery, and the existing PEM.

11. Sig72

Sig72 Member

Does anyone know if there will be any Roadster chargers at the new Tesla Store in Monterey, CA? (opening this weekend) I've heard rumors that the store manager is a Roadster owner and if there are Roadster chargers there, it will make Holy Week with the Roadster a LOT easier.......

12. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I was just talking to someone at Tesla about that ... and no, there won't be, only the Supercharger at that location. But there are HPWCs at A Shade Above (right next door) and also over at the Hyatt Regency Monterey and a few other hotels. If you have an adapter for the HPWC, you can easily charge in Monterey.

- - - Updated - - -

Could they? Sure, probably. But I'm pretty happy that they've circled back and are offering anything. I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth. :) ('Gift' being relative, we don't know pricing yet...)