TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Charging the Roadster

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by malcolm, Sep 14, 2008.

1. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

As a side note those plugs are really hard to unplug. Since it's a right angle plug there isn't a large barrel to grab onto and the contacts have a large surface area and grab tightly. I usually have to use a screwdriver to pry them apart, after shutting off the circuit breaker of course :eek: :biggrin:

2. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

I've just thought of a way of halving the charge time of the Roadster when you are away from home...

[​IMG]

In the UK, at least, domestic circuits are 32 Amp rings - one for downstairs and one for up (or sometime front and back of the house).

A double socket (like the one Clarkson plugs into on the TG film) can output up to 26A. Therefore, a Y-shaped charging lead could draw 26A and get the charge time down to ~8 hours. As long as there are not different phases across the sockets in a given location (I think this is now banned, anyway) then this is possible.

Could this be done on other systems?

3. graham

graham Active Member

I have often thought that the Roadster should have 2 plugs. One normal charging plug like they have today, but a separate plug that one could use in parallel, if you had a second circuit available. While I doubt it is feasible to have two 70 amp circuits to charge the car, I think it would be reasonable to have one high powered charge going into the main plug to recharge the batteries, and a second minor circuit just to run the cooling system. This would allow for a faster charge overall.

4. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I always thought they should have two plugs -one on each side. As it is the driver's side is opposite any curbside charging station.

5. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

6. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

7. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

I'm right with you on that one :biggrin:

Making both cables retractable would be an interesting challenge.

8. ToddLa

ToddLa Member

Using two 110v plugs to charge Tesla

Has anyone heard of this company, 220 240 Volts from 110 120 Volt Outlets - Catalog & Pricing, they appear to make a product that would be useful for recharging on the road.

9. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Yes, I think that Tesla has likely built their own devices like that to let you grab both phases from different outlets in different parts of the building. The problem is a typical 120v circuit still only has maybe a 15 or 20amp breaker/fuse so you still aren't all the way there.
    If the [email protected] takes 3.5 hours to full charge,
    and a "level 2" [email protected] takes 8+ hours, then the
    "two into 1" <[email protected] would take around 16 hours to fully charge a roadster.
    It still beats the ~30+ hours you would need with a conventional 120VAC outlet, but is still a bit on the slow side compared to a real "dryer/range/welder/RV" outlet with a higher amperage breaker.

10. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

I guess similar topics have been covered before, but my thoughts were to cover situations where you are away from the home charger. I thought if you make a Y cable where the plugs are on the same phase, it just in parallel and doubling the available current.

I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to make a box that takes 2 or more inputs and rectifies various currents or phases into a single coherent supply (1 or 3 phase) for the car.

I've been told the car can take a three phase supply. As we know that the home charger just provides a few safety interlocks (smoke detector etc), could this function not be moved to the car? That way (as I've suggested above), any high power supply could be used (63 or 125A, etc).

11. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

OK, so I think we are contemplating 2 different types of "Y cable" arrangements. The one in the link provided has an indicator light to show when you have plugged into both phases of a split phase US supply and gives you 240V (at probably 15 or 20 amp max due to circuit breaker).

What I think you are mentioning is just to halve the load across two breakers. In the US that would possibly provide [email protected]~40amp which would result in similar recharge times. *But*, it isn't friendly to the street transformers to pull unbalanced high load current from one side of the split phase like that. Also, you have no way to have an indicator light to see if you are on two breakers or not. So you could plug into two different outlets and end up finding out (by blowing a breaker or fuse) that they are actually wired on the same circuit.

I am talking about a US situation. Things would be a bit different in the UK.

12. Tdave

Tdave Member

Then how about a 4-into-1? Each goes to a different 120v breaker, 2 from one phase and 2 from the other. It's balanced and would provide [email protected]

Four standard heavy duty extension cords could be used as the 4 inputs. The custom piece is the converter box with a short 4 foot monster cord to car. When visiting a friend's house this would be the only piece we'd have to transport with us.

13. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Sounds like a plan! Tell them to turn everything else off because you are going to use all the power their house can provide!

But, how to quickly figure out which outlets are on different breakers?
    Better have a wiring diagram handy.

14. Tdave

Tdave Member

New condition of my friendship ... I'll visit you only if you install a 240v dryer outlet in your garage.

15. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I have a NEMA 14-50 in my driveway. Come on over and leave your Tesla!

16. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

#76 vfx, Dec 26, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
    ]Tell your friend that you would be happy to set the charger to kick on at 2 in the morning while you sleep in his guest room.
    [​IMG]

17. bobw

bobw Tesla Reader

You'll need to take something like an Amprobe Circuit Breaker Finder when you visit your friends. You can leave them with an accurate diagram showing which sockets are on which breakers.

I think it might fit in a Roadster's trunk.

18. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

#78 WarpedOne, Dec 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2008
    Such a scheme would only give the roadster new name: "Tesla roadster brakes your house". It may be academically interesting to think about it but it is a WOMBAT.

19. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

#79 malcolm, Dec 27, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
    Meanwhile, down at the slower, cheaper end....

Newride: recharge points

Good news, but is my power renewable? | Danny's Contentment

Several London Boroughs and locations elsewhere in the UK are using these recharging points from Elektromotive:

http://www.elektromotive.com/html/elektrobay_instructions.php

If we assume that city driving is likely to be at about 30-40mph then one of these units could recharge the Roadster at the rate of about 17 miles of range per hour. A 9 til 5 recharge in an office parking bay would give enough time to gain an extra 24 kWh. That's not far off half a "tank" for the Roadster.

20. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

#80 vfx, Jan 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2009

I get it now. The charge port is on the other side of the pond!