Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging the Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They get to park "postal style" with the driver right at the curb. In a way that is preferable to always having to step out into traffic. On the other hand when you pull out it is a little harder to use the passenger side view to judge your merge opportunities.

Sometimes the US Postal Service has bought UK spec vehicles just so the driver is next to the box...
istockphoto_2190673_mail_delivery.jpg

Last edited:
Sometimes the US Postal Service has bought UK spec vehicles just so the driver is next to the box...

I was under the impression Mail Trucks were custom made vehicles, so why would they buy UK spec? (Unless you just mean UK spec as in right hand side steering wheel) (Oh yeah, you can PM me the answer so we don't continue getting off topic).

-Shark2k

(Unless you just mean UK spec as in right hand side steering wheel)

Yes, that is what I meant - to get right hand drive without having to custom make something.

This site said:
...which has an aluminum Utilimaster body on an Australian Ford Explorer chassis with right-hand-drive...

I also recall reading sometime a while back about a British versions of some vehicle the USPS had ordered.

btw, I don't think it's a good idea to have that cord under tension.

Yes. And it's not like the owner is strapped for cable. :confused:

If you're recharging through the home fast charger it will cut out if the cable is given a tug, and given that the intelligence in the system is the car, I assume this will also happen with the mobile charger.

Yes. And it's not like the owner is strapped for cable. :confused:

If you're recharging through the home fast charger it will cut out if the cable is given a tug, and given that the intelligence in the system is the car, I assume this will also happen with the mobile charger.
My guess is it was unintentional. Looks like the power cords are on retractor spools.

Last edited:

Actually, there's a tension sensor in the current HPC models, but I'm guessing there's not one in the mobile charger. I also expect the tension sensor to go away in later models of the HPC.

What's HPC stand for?

High Power Connector. It is the box and cable that serves as the default home charging connection for the Roadster.

Why do you expect the tension sensor to go away?

Tesla has made statements that they want to make the HPC less complex and less expensive. The current HPC is a box with a tension sensor, a smoke detector, and a bit of electronics that waits to establish a communication connection with the car before sending power through the cable. Only one of the three seems important to me.

Isn't the tension sensor a helpful warning?

I suppose it is in the abstract, but I'll bet the 2009 owners would rather have a cheaper solution with a note that says "don't yank on the cord." How much more would you pay for a fancy extension cord that has a tensor sensor?

But it doesn't matter what I think. I'm just reporting my speculation based on what I've heard from Tesla. I may be completely wrong about the tension sensor, but I would personally prefer to pay less for a simpler connector.

Technically the charger is in the Roadster. The Avcon connector comes from a charge controller (or "Personal Charging Station"). Really it is just a big relay and some electronics to control when it turns off and on.