Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging the Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried to follow your directions for finding your user-created maps in Google maps, without success. I used the search options pull down for "user-created" and searched on "Tesla," but got no hits. Do I need to be in a specific location or area in Google maps first? What's the secret?

I'd like more details on "EVChargerNews ... does not work well on my Android phone." Perhaps there is something I can do about that.

Tom Dowling Owner/Webmaster www.evchargernews.com

raymond said:
Waaay back Martin posted details about charger signalling on his now defunct blog. Did anybody per chance keep a copy of that? I'm looking for the nitty gritty on how the Roadster knows the max charge (amps) it can draw. I seem to remember something with pulses but am in the dark about voltages, timing, etc.

The tesla charge signaling was based on the orginal SAE J1772 0-48Amp protocol. The 50Amp-80Amp extension of the charge current (that Tesla uses) was added in the 2010 version of SAE J1772. Tesla was active in defining the 2010 J1772 Standard, so the signaling is the same, but the connector is different (bc some of the other members didn't like the twist lock). (It's sad because Tesla had a robust 80A charging connector in early 2008 and it took the SAE three years to standarize one that isn't much better.)

You can find the blog with source code & schematics to martin's RFMC here: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=468&d=1257844780

You can buy the SAE standard for $63 here: http://standards.sae.org/j1772_201001

-Scott

Last edited:
Unless I'm logged into Google, the search in google maps seems to be useless. However I figured out out to get a link which might work. Hopfully my map is accessable with the link below. If you then add it to "my maps" it will be accessable as a layer from google maps on andriod phones.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U....666429,-120.27832&spn=9.457511,14.128418&z=6

As for evchargermaps not working well... It's hard to describe... the fact it's a web page with a map so large it is hard to move the page or the map so it gets hard to know where you are and how to get to the scale buttons, then the scale buttons are too small to work on the small phone screen and then the many select boxes on the bottom of the screen take up most of the screen when scrolled there. With a phone you do not have the click options you have with a mouse and larger screen. Then also it is not possible to select a site and then get the address to the phone's navigation system.

Jeff

Logged into Google ... worked fine for me. Since you show Newport store, could add other Tesla stores, Menlo Park, Seattle, etc. even NYC! I assume they'll let you charge, but I don't know what (if any) limitations there are (store hours ? behind gate ?).

It seems to me like we could use a different thread for jaanton's map and/or for discussing a public database of Tesla chargers. Perhaps a Google spreadsheet?

Anyway here are some more Tesla charger locations:

208V/70A - Burgerville, 818 Harrison Avenue, Centralia, WA‎ - (360) 736-5212
70A - Tesla Motors, 435 Westlake Avenue North, Seattle, WA‎ - (206) 682-2625‎

The tesla charge signaling was based on the orginal SAE J1772 0-48Amp protocol. The 50Amp-80Amp extension of the charge current (that Tesla uses) was added in the 2010 version of SAE J1772. Tesla was active in defining the 2010 J1772 Standard, so the signaling is the same, but the connector is different (bc some of the other members didn't like the twist lock). (It's sad because Tesla had a robust 80A charging connector in early 2008 and it took the SAE three years to standarize one that isn't much better.)

You can find the blog with source code & schematics to martin's RFMC here: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=468&d=1257844780

You can buy the SAE standard for $63 here: http://standards.sae.org/j1772_201001

-Scott

The original standard is freely available to download in Word format on the web. Don't have the URL on me just now, but Google found it a few weeks back.

It also contains an annexe that describes signalling for > 48A charging, so maybe Tesla went with that...

It also contains an annexe that describes signalling for > 48A charging, so maybe Tesla went with that...

I believe it was the the other way around: Tesla extended the range and lobbied the SAE to adopt Tesla's extension, which they did.

I have confirmed that the Tesla pilot signal matches the J1772 standard to three significant digits and that a J1772-compatible vehicle that doesn't depend on the proximity signal can operate a Tesla charger. I hope to soon confirm that a Roadster can charge from a J1772 charger using a simple plug adapter with no intermediate electronics.

Well, there is an annexe in the 2001 standard that describes >48A charging - all the way up to 96kW in fact. I have the document but I am not sure if it is public domain.

However, since the above post I've seen the 2010 spec too, which has a different method of signalling >48A levels. So I think that Tesla invented a different scheme to 2001 (maybe unintentionally) and then lobbied to have it included in 2010. Below 48A they both agree.

What is a shame is that this 2010 spec is not as capable as its 2001 counterpart.

This might not be the right forum but I think we should pull together on this; http://EVChargerNews.com has a good list on the west coast, has a nice iPhone app and is regularly updated but they no longer include private residences. I've just searched for East Coast charging options and, I know the sites exist but I can't find them quickly and easily.

The EV Charger News map doesn't seem to be getting updates. We submitted several NEMA 14-50 spots in May and I heard that we shouldn't expect to seem them added to the map any time soon.

I've been adding charging spots for the northwest to the map on http://www.recargo.com/ which also includes a recent snapshot of the EV Charger News data. Anyone can sign up and start adding spots. This is the only map I've been able to contribute to, so it's my current favorite.

Hello everyone. Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I have a road-trip charging question. I need to travel 130 miles, sit for ~10 hours with likely only 120VAC 12A available and then 130 miles back home. I'll be able to start with a full range-mode charge. Is this doable? From my limited digging on this site it doesn't look like 120V 12A charging is very fast so I'm nervous.

Thanks!
Chris

As JB said in one of his blogs about range, "if you are worried about [range], slow down". So if you drive 45mph the whole way, you greatly improve your chances of making it. My best range was 182 miles @ 60-65mph w/two people+luggage. If I am unsure about the charging facilities at my destination, I will usually drive 55mph, drafting behind 18 wheelers to save charge.

Another option would be to borrow a UMC/RFMC from one of the many tesla owners in your area. With the UMC, you'll need to find an RV park or dryer outlet and charge overnight.

-Scott

Extended range mode:
attachment.php?attachmentid=1040&d=1288021263.jpg

draft-nirv2.jpg

I agree with above two posts. Where is your 10hour stop ? (You could gain about 35-50miles at 120V in 10 hours, depending on how many amps are available and ESS cooling; but we might find you a 240V location.)

Edit: TEG and I cross-posted. Correction: I agree with the first 2 of the 3 posts above me ;) I would not follow that "thing". But a regular 18 wheeler at their (apparently common) 62mph works.

Last edited: