TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Charging through a doorway from another room

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by fr100, Aug 18, 2018.

1. fr100

fr100 Member

I need to charge a few times a month at a location where the only 240V outlet is in the laundry room just inside of the garage. I'd like to keep the door closed to keep out critters, and also hot/cold air. The only thing I can think of is a small pet door at waist level with a sliding cover that can be put in place when not in use. Anyone have a better idea? Putting an outlet in the garage is not an option.

20180818_215626.jpg

2. Ludalicious

Ludalicious Member

I would look at taking the threshold on the bottom of the door right off and see if the cable fits under it. Then just install a larger sweep to fill the extra gap.

I can park my car outside my garage door and close the door on the cable without even knowing it was under the door. The larger sweeps hide allot.

• Like x 1
  3. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

Rat can fit through a hole the size of a quarter.

@fr100

Without building a new outlet, you can't extend the one currently in the laundry room? Would be way cleaner and make life easier.

4. Thomas Edison

Thomas Edison Active Member

Is this a permanent long term solution you are looking for? Can you take a picture of the wall inside the door on the hinge side? How far is it from the outlet to the door frame?

5. peachfuzz0

peachfuzz0 Member

You could buy a cable hatch that are used for RVs. They're round doors made for 16-50 plugs to be passed through.

6. RedSafari

RedSafari Member

I have a similar setup for occasional use and I decided not to modify the door as it would affect its fire rating. I just keep the door cracked open and the garage roll-up door closed, and we don’t leave the house while the car is plugged in.

7. Glamisduner

Glamisduner Member

Why can't you put an outlet in the garage?

Seems to me, that would be the only reasonable solution. Or drill a hole in the wall and put the cable through it?

Or Drill a hole in the floor and put the cable through that?

8. Venomized

Venomized Member

9. davewill

davewill Member

No easy solution. Garage doors require closers and weatherstripping to keep car fumes out of the house. Also, there fire rating issues. Any permanent modification to the door is probably a bad idea. Even the RV passthrough mentioned should only be installed to the outside, not into the house.

10. davewill

davewill Member

Cords through walls and floors are definitely code violations.

11. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Charging through a doorway from another room

Good manners count.

Whether it’s through the pet door or any other, whenever the dogs charge through, they’re told “SLOW!!!!!”

• Funny x 2
  12. Ludalicious

Ludalicious Member

If it's only an electric vehicle then you dont need to worry about fumes. As long as no flammable material is stored in the garage it shouldn't need to be fire rated. IE. Lawnmower, Gas ect. Not saying it isn't by code. But if it's only an electric vehicle stored in the garage the rules really are different. I know some might argue that the battery could catch fire, and there are known cases of this. But let's not forget we have batteries on almost everything else in the house.

13. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

My first thought on reading the headline was, "uh oh, someone's had an 'unintended acceleration' event and there will be photos of a Model 3 sitting in their living room with splintered wood around the doorway they plowed through." Fortunately the reality is very different, and I suspect any dogs in the vicinity are very well behaved.

Words have power, people! I charge you all to remember that. ;)

14. davewill

davewill Member

Actually, the RULES are not different. Maybe they should be, although building codes can't assume that you'll only ever have an electric car. Also, it sounds like the OP is a visitor at this site, so there's probably other cars in there usually.