TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Charging time at Supercharger in cold weather

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by volkerbradley, Jan 25, 2016.

1. volkerbradley

volkerbradley Member

Recently I charged my Model X at a Supercharger when it was 13 degrees outside. Here is what I observed:
    I had been driving 45 minutes before I arrived at the Supercharger. Car cabin was preheated to 78 degrees. I continued to keep the cabin temperature at 78 degrees while charging. At the start of charging the remaining distance was 48 miles.
    In 20 minutes the charger had added 72 miles
    In 30 minutes the charger had added 101 miles
    In 40 minutes the charger had added 128 miles
    In 50 minutes the charger had added 148 miles
    In 60 minutes the charger had added 166 miles
    in 68 minutes the charger had added 178 miles and stopped charging at 226 miles.
    It seems that I experienced a slower charging time than what Tesla mentions at Supercharger | Tesla Motors. See my enclosed screenshot.
    Is this what other users are seeing?

2. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

170 miles is from zero. You arrived with 48. Looks normal to me. Are you familiar with the supercharging curve/taper?

3. Gerasimental

Gerasimental Member

And how many miles of energy does it cost to maintain a delta-T of 35K for 20mins,40mins,60mins etc? Charge rate tapers but power draw doesn't, whcih will amplify effect of taper.

4. Kim.T

Kim.T Member

Try to look at this sheet : Tesla Supercharge Time Calculator - Google Sheets (there is a sheet named Charts)
    Average time to charge from 5-10% is 2 min. From 35-40% is 3 min, 60-65 is 4min06.
    Therefor you always get the fasted charging when the battery is at nearly 0%, if you arrive with a higher SoC it will take longer to fill additional 170miles "into the battery"

5. DavidM

DavidM P2624, Delivered

Important Question:
    Q. Were you the only car using the supercharger? If you are sharing the supercharger with one or more cars, you may get a reduced charging rate. It depends what stall you and others are using.

6. timf

timf Member

Another factor is the charts are based off of Model S, but Model X gets about 10% less range out of the same battery capacity. Your range per charging time potential is going to be reduced by about 10% as well.

7. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Member

Uh yeah, most of the time people don't continuously keep heating the interior of their Teslas at 78 degrees while they are charging, and for sure the chart on the Tesla web page is not taking that diverted energy usage into account.

8. volkerbradley

volkerbradley Member

Yes, I sure am acquainted with the supercharger curve/taper. The taper shows a rapid charge up to 80% battery capacity. As you saw, I was well within the rapid charging section of the graph when I had only added 101 miles in 30 minutes instead of the 170 advertised.
    I guess my question is, have any of you had to wait 60 minutes to add 166 miles under any circumstances?

- - - Updated - - -

OK, that makes sense to me. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

I was the only one.

9. volkerbradley

volkerbradley Member

Your reply was most helpful. According to the Tesla Supercharge Time Calculator, I should be able to charge from 40 to 170 miles in 35 minutes and 12 seconds. I charged from 48 to 176 miles in 40 minutes.
    Thanks for helping me understand the charge times.
    Tesla supercharger charge times.png