Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging time Tesla charger vs Standard 50amp outlet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's what i'm afraid of. I work in sales, and drive anywhere from a few miles a day to a few hundred, depending on the day. I don't want to damage the garage door or the cord and i don't want a gap either. I'm still leaning towards installing the Juicebox where i park more often (driveway) and the nema 14-50 in the garage for times when i park there.
TBH, if I didn't have that gap (and a plan to get my car into the garage before winter) I would have just drilled a hole just big enough in the side of the garage to snake the cable through from the inside, several feet off the ground to keep critters from sneaking in.

That's what i'm afraid of. I work in sales, and drive anywhere from a few miles a day to a few hundred, depending on the day. I don't want to damage the garage door or the cord and i don't want a gap either. I'm still leaning towards installing the Juicebox where i park more often (driveway) and the nema 14-50 in the garage for times when i park there.
See thread: Solutions to get around the garage door?

Cable Hatch (white): https://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-White-Round-Electric/dp/B0031Y3Q6W/

Cable Hatch (black):
https://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-541-B-3-Deluxe-Electric/dp/B002XLGQDE/

Cable Hatch (black, deluxe): Amazon.com: JR Products 541-3-A Black Deluxe Round Electric Cable Hatch with Back Color: Black, Model: 541-3-A, Car & Vehicle Accessories / Parts: Sports & Outdoors

DIY pass through: DIY Passthrough for EV Charger Cable - KevinFreitas.net

Last edited:
Keep in mind that, with the Juicebox, you'll always have to use the J-1772 adapter. I'm not sure why you're so enamored with it but I'm sure you have your reasons. While I've heard good things about Juicebox, Tesla units are also very high quality and fairly low cost.
I recommend you look at Tom Moloughney's charger reviews on You Tube or Charger reviews by Tom Molougney. Tom's a great guy, dedicated and experienced with EVs, since his pioneering days with a BMW mini-E in about 2009 through today, when he drives a Model 3. Also a NJ resident, his analysis can be believed.

Reactions: Big Earl
Hi. NJ I believe you are over thinking this whole home-charging thing. I charge our Tesla MY two places; in a garage in AZ and outside in a carport on Cape Cod. The OEM supplied charger works perfectly in both locations. I keep the MY charged to 80% unless traveling. Can't imagine a situation where I couldn't fully charge prior to waking up for the next day's ride.

Rich

Outdoors on Cape Cod (the Bolt/Blue Bunny, now lives in AZ)
nRhLndm.jpg

Our MY (Blue Bunny II) in AZ (now with us on the Cape after a +2800 ride!). I use the OEM charger. Works like a charm.
asymcKD.jpg
Who makes the charger/cord holder?

Who makes the charger/cord holder?

Not sure for which photo the question is directed. If it's the bottom one, the "holder" is for garden hoses. Bought it on Amazon. Works great for EV purposes.

$14 for one, $26 dollars for two of 'em.

Rich

Here's another "garden hose" unit I now use on Cape Cod. Needed to "dremel" a groove for the line in order for it to fit. Another Amazon find.

7JSk2bZ.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure for which photo the question is directed. If it's the bottom one, the "holder" is for garden hoses. Bought it on Amazon. Works great for EV purposes.

$14 for one, $26 dollars for two of 'em.

Rich

Here's another "garden hose" unit I now use on Cape Cod. Needed to "dremel" a groove for the line in order for it to fit. Another Amazon find.
A word of caution about cord reels/hangers: If you leave part of the cord coiled, you need to be sure the coils are very loose with a lot of air circulating around the cord. Martin Eberhard, original Tesla President apparently melted a charging cable that he left tightly coiled on a holder. It was probably a prototype and probably carrying 70 amps, however, one should be aware that cables can get hot.

Reactions: Big Earl
I swear I get 38 mph, or 10kW exactly, when charging with my Juicebox, which is connected to a 50 amp circuit. If that's the case, I guess it's safe to say that the Juicebox is faster than both Tesla chargers when connected to a 50 amp circuit. Another plus to the Juicebox is it's ability to charge only during a window of time, track usage, control access, etc.

That’s what I see with my Clipper Creek HCS-50P EVSE, I thought I was just lucky.

The Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector will enable charging at up to 40 amps when hard wired (as designed) on a 50 amp circuit. The Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector (comes with the Tesla vehicle) can enable charging at up to 32 amps when used with the NEMA 14-50 power plug adapter and a NEMA 14-50 receptacle. (Alternately the Gen2 Mobile Connector can be used with 6-50 power plug and receptacle and enable charging at up to 32 amps.) When installed, hardwired as designed, on a circuit rated for 60 amps the Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector will enable charging at up to 48 amps (50% faster than when charging at 32 amps.)

The Wall Connector in this scenario would enable charge at 40 amps, 25% faster than the Mobile Connector which is limited to 32 amps. (The older Gen1 Mobile Connector would support charging at up to 40 amps but was known to overheat and catch fire on occasion.) (There is a corded Mobile Connector fitted with a permanent 14-50 power plug that is capable of 40 amps (it is currently out of stock on the Tesla site, has been that way for many months.)

The Gen3 Wall Connector is fully weather rated, can be installed outdoors for use in all weather conditions. The Gen3 Wall Connector has a 24 ft charging cord. (The Gen2 Mobile Connector comes with an 18.5 ft charging cord.) The Gen3 Mobile Connector supports automatic load balancing where up to 4 Wall Connectors can be used on a single circuit without overloading the circuit while more than one Tesla vehicle is being charged. The Gen3 Wall Connector can be configured to only recognize, enable specific Tesla vehicles to be able to charge using the Wall Connector (no free loaders using your Wall Connector without your consent.)

My opinion; a 14-50 receptacle should be indoors, i.e. inside a garage. The Wall Connector is designed to be hard wired, with no plug, and can be used indoors; in a garage; or outdoors exposed to rain etc.

Last edited:
I didn’t want to start a new thread but had an electrician come today. I am trying to understand or get a simple answer.

Charging a MYP on a 50amp circuit with a 14-50 outlet using the provided charger and adapter I will get how many miles per hour of charge?

Then if I have him do a 60 amp circuit and install a Tesla Gen3 Wall charger I will get how many miles per hour of charge?

The difference in install between the two is nominal. I am trying to decide if the wall charger is worth the extra spend.
Thanks.

Last edited:
The Model 3 Performance has a on-board charger that can use up to 48 Amps at 240 Volts. But if you use the mobile charge connector that comes with it, that will limit you to charging at 32 Amps at 240 Volts. In that case, it won't matter what current capacity your charging circuit is add long as it's at least 40 Amps.

A Tesla wall connector can output the maximum 48 Amps at 240 Volts to your car only when installed on 60 Amp charging circuit. If installed on a 50 Amp charging circuit, it can only output 40 Amps to it.

By getting a 60 Amp circuit, you have the possibility of charging 1.5x faster (with a wall connector) than using the mobile connector that comes with the car.

I didn’t want to start a new thread but had an electrician come today. I am trying to understand or get a simple answer.

Charging a MYP on a 50amp circuit with a 14-50 outlet using the provided charger and adapter I will get how many miles per hour of charge?

Then if I have him do a 60 amp circuit and install a Tesla Gen3 Wall charger I will get how many miles per hour of charge?

The difference in install between the two is nominal. I am trying to decide if the wall charger is worth the extra spend.
Thanks.
from Wall Connector

Wall Connector Technical detailsCharge Speed
Max miles of range per hour of charge
Circuit breaker
(amps)
Maximum output
(amps)
Power at 240 volts
(kilowatt)
Model S
(mph)
Model 3*
(mph)
Model X
(mph)
Model Y
(mph)
604811.5 kW34443042
50409.6 kW29372536
40327.7 kW23302029
30245.7 kW17221421
20163.8 kW1115814
15122.8 kW711510
*Maximum charge rate for Model 3 Rear-Wheel Drive is 32A (7.7kW) - up to 30 miles of range per hour.

Model Y would get 42 MPH on the Wall Connector on a 60 amp circuit and 29 MPH using the Universal Mobile Connector on a NEMA 14-50. In this scenario, the Wall Connector provides a 50% increase in charging speed over the UMC.

Thanks.
If outdoors, then get the Wall Connector as it is full weather rated for use outdoors. With the Wall Connector there is no plug/receptacle where water can get in. The Wall Connector has a longer charging cord, 24 ft, while the Mobile Connector is limited to 18.5 ft. As already noted the Wall Connector can enable faster charging than the Mobile Connector when installed on a 50A or 60A circuit.

from Wall Connector

Circuit breaker
(amps)
Maximum output
(amps)
Power at 240 volts
(kilowatt)
Model S
(mph)
Model 3*
(mph)
Model X
(mph)
Model Y
(mph)
Wall Connector Technical detailsCharge Speed
Max miles of range per hour of charge
604811.5 kW34443042
50409.6 kW29372536
40327.7 kW23302029
30245.7 kW17221421
20163.8 kW1115814
15122.8 kW711510
*Maximum charge rate for Model 3 Rear-Wheel Drive is 32A (7.7kW) - up to 30 miles of range per hour.

Model Y would get 42 MPH on the Wall Connector on a 60 amp circuit and 29 MPH using the Universal Mobile Connector on a NEMA 14-50. In this scenario, the Wall Connector provides a 50% increase in charging speed over the UMC.
Okay gotcha. I have seen this chart but did not realize it was also for the mobile connector. I did not know 32a for the wall connector was the same as 32a for the mobile connector.

Thanks.

I have a Tesla Gen 3 wall charger hard wired to a 60 amp circuit. My MYP charges at 48 amps and my app tells my the car charges 41 mph. Honestly it's kind of overkill but I like it.

Well I got the first estimate and as I figured I got the "Tesla" tax included as they were the "Tesla recommended" electrician in our area (only one listed). Job seems pretty simple and we are in a low cost area (Kentucky for gosh sakes) and the estimate is $960. Add the $550 wall charger and I think we are just going to go with the 14-50 and use the charger that comes with it. I have another couple electricians coming out for quotes that will give me a quote for an "RV plug" (14-50) so we will see where they come in at.

You can install a 220 outlet in your garage for $300-$400 (or less) from a licensed tech. Even cheaper if you run it exterior along the wall. You'll get around 10-20 miles per hour (or more) charge on a 220 and it's much cheaper than a station.

Even at only 10 miles per hour, if you park your car for nine hours that 90 miles charged per night.

Well I got the first estimate and as I figured I got the "Tesla" tax included as they were the "Tesla recommended" electrician in our area (only one listed). Job seems pretty simple and we are in a low cost area (Kentucky for gosh sakes) and the estimate is $960. Add the $550 wall charger and I think we are just going to go with the 14-50 and use the charger that comes with it. I have another couple electricians coming out for quotes that will give me a quote for an "RV plug" (14-50) so we will see where they come in at.

Make sure they quote you a Bryant, Hubbell or Cooper brand outlet, not a Leviton.

You might also want to get competitive quotes from other electricians on the Wall Connector installation. You don't need a "Tesla recommended" installer. It's a pretty straight-forward job and the instructions couldn't be more clear.

@NJcarowner You're getting really good answers. I'll just add an overall conceptual thing that the devices aren't really doing something that makes the charging faster or slower, because all of these things external to the car are just closing a switch. It's just that the different parts are built to a certain max amount of amps of capacity that they will allow, and you just want to be aware of where that lowest common denominator is that can limit the whole path to a certain number of amps:

1. Circuit in your house is built for a certain number of amps. (You pick that based on what type of equipment you want to use. And yes, there's that 80% usage rule mentioned above.)
2. Wall connector or mobile charge cords have a certain max rating. (You basically would match that to what level of circuit you're getting. Wall connector can send up to 48A, and mobile cable up to 32A.)
3. Onboard charger inside the car. (The short range and medium range cars come with an onboard chargers that can only process up to 32A. The long range battery ones can do up to 48A.)
Rocky, this is great info. I have a 22 MY LR. I’ve been troubleshooting a charging issue with over temp. I had an electrician come out and was about to install a Tesla wall charger. The electrician said the 50A outlet is fine. But pointed out the Tesla mobile charging unit shows max 30A. The electrician said if the car is charging at 32A the cable may overheat. It has.

Is there a different MCU or adapter for the MY LR I should ask for? It was a quarter end delivery back in March, so anything could have happened.

Thanks!

1663992273418.jpeg