Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging time Tesla charger vs Standard 50amp outlet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They’re all labeled 30 amps, have been for years, for reasons unknown. There is no other adapter for you to get.

It should work fine at 32 amps, easily a million of them in circulation at this point and they all default to 32 amps.
Interesting. The electrician said to throttle to 24A because of the 30A rating. It has been hot here, long stretches with garage temp over 100. I didn’t even try charging until 4am when CA had the heatwave over 110.

Rocky, this is great info. I have a 22 MY LR. I’ve been troubleshooting a charging issue with over temp. I had an electrician come out and was about to install a Tesla wall charger. The electrician said the 50A outlet is fine. But pointed out the Tesla mobile charging unit shows max 30A. The electrician said if the car is charging at 32A the cable may overheat. It has.

Is there a different MCU or adapter for the MY LR I should ask for? It was a quarter end delivery back in March, so anything could have happened.

Thanks!

View attachment 856293
That is a NEMA 14-50 plug. If it fits into the outlet, that outlet better be able to take 50A (40A continuous load) or something is not done to code and it's at risk of catching fire.

That is a NEMA 14-50 plug. If it fits into the outlet, that outlet better be able to take 50A (40A continuous load) or something is not done to code and it's at risk of catching fire.
Nerp. Lots of things that plug into 14-50s don’t draw and aren’t designed to handle 50 amps. For example, all sorts of induction cooktops. Nothing at all “against code” or dangerous about that.

Last edited:
Yep, the outlet is capable, up to code, verified by a Tesla preferred installer who didn’t do the original work. I scheduled this after a service visit & the car suggested it was the outlet should be checked.

Electrician pointed to the MCU as the likely problem due to 3OA rating. Also commented, the cable is lighter weight than (not as insulated as) the 30A cable for my teardrop. Suggested dropping to 24A when charging. The app seems to be fine holding the lower setting. I’ve sent the info back to Tesla Service. Waiting for their recommendation.

Does it charge successfully at 24 amps?
It was charging fine at 32A 98% of the time. It’s cooled 20+ degrees, so will be difficult to reproduce. For now, I’m scheduling charging at 3 or 4am at 24A.

I have to decide if there’s any value in installing the wall charger. I want to keep an outlet for the teardrop. They can change the 50A to 30 and put in a new breaker. That leaves 30A for the wall charger, which doesn’t seem like any value add on top of the MCU at 30A.

Is this right, or am I missing something. (~$1500, less some tax rebates)

Nerp. Lots of things that plug into 14-50s don’t draw and aren’t designed to handle 50 amps. For example, all sorts of induction cooktops. Nothing at all “against code” or dangerous about that.
The stuff that plugs into the 14-50 doesn't have to draw 40-50A, but the outlet and wiring better be able to handle 40A continuous. If it can't, something is wrong with the wiring and that needs to be corrected ASAP. Nothing should be overheating.

Reactions: Rocky_H and DrGriz
All of the Tesla NEMA 14-50 power plug adapters for the Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector are stamped 30A. This is not significant to your issue. Charging at 32A on a 50A circuit will not cause the circuit breaker to trip or cause the TMC to overheat; Drawing over 30A on a circuit rated for only 30A would instantly trip the circuit breaker.

Do you leave the TMC chassis hanging, supported by only the 14-50 power plug adapter? The receptacle and the plug are not designed to support any additional weight. Tesla sells a Cable Organizer that includes a wall mount bracket for the TMC chassis. You can find similar kits on Amazon, eBay and Etsy or fashion your own means of supporting the TMC chassis and charging cable.

Yep and 98+ % of the time at 32, sometimes it throttles to 16A. I asked them to run diagnostics on the three PCUs, no problem found. Ideas?
Recently there has been a rash of incidents reported (during the Summer) of a lot of people's charging cords getting too hot and throttling down the charging amps. It's weird, but it's been showing up in several threads in the forums the last few months.

That has nothing to do with that 32 vs. 30 amp marking on the adapters. That has been that way for many years and seems to be just some kind of oddity in marking requirements that we never heard a real explanation for. They are intended to run at 32A continuous, so no need to turn it down to 24A, except if it turns itself down sometimes from being too hot, you could drop it by a few amps just to keep it a bit cooler. I have one of the old charging cables that can do 40A continuous, but I keep the car set to only use 30A, just so it stays a little cooler, and that makes for a smaller temperature swing of that daily thermal cycling up and down, which can stress electronics materials over time.

Reactions: SharonMY
All of the Tesla NEMA 14-50 power plug adapters for the Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector are stamped 30A. This is not significant to your issue. Charging at 32A on a 50A circuit will not cause the circuit breaker to trip or cause the TMC to overheat; Drawing over 30A on a circuit rated for only 30A would instantly trip the circuit breaker.

Do you leave the TMC chassis hanging, supported by only the 14-50 power plug adapter? The receptacle and the plug are not designed to support any additional weight. Tesla sells a Cable Organizer that includes a wall mount bracket for the TMC chassis. You can find similar kits on Amazon, eBay and Etsy or fashion your own means of supporting the TMC chassis and charging cable.
Good points. The MCU and cable was rested on a plastic storage container. I moved everything away to allow for better air flow. It was 100+ in the garage for over ten days.