Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging time while using infotainment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello folks! I ordered my Model Y in March and am anxiously waiting on delivery. I have watched tons of YouTube videos and lurked on the forums since submitting my order. I haven’t seen this answered and a search came up empty. Is there a noticable increase in charge time while using the infotainment display to play games or watch netflix/YouTube?

Logic says there will be SOME difference but I am wondering if the difference is worth forgoing using the infotainment screen and just playing on my phone. Along the same lines, how does the climate affect charging times?

Solution
Insignificant if you are at a supercharger. Slightly more if you are charging at home. Still not worth caring about. You are losing seconds
The infotainment system, other 12V systems use very little power. If you have the climate control system turned on and the heat or A/C is running then there will be a noticeable longer charging time when charging at 120V or 240V. For example, if the heat and other systems use 7kW and you are charging using a Level 2 charger at home, work etc. at ~8kW then the charging time will be significantly lengthened due to the power used by the climate control system. Worst case scenario when charging at 120V and using the climate control system to warm the cabin you could use more power from the battery to warm the cabin than can be added using the 120V charging connection.

When using a Supercharger station the additional power used by the climate control system would not appreciably change the charging time.

Reactions: GtiMart
Upvote 0