Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Timer Doesn't Work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The compass and elevation do show correctly on the screen. I just did a partial charge of the battery. I then went to move the car and it wouldn't go into gear. No evidence on the display or the dash that anything was wrong. I shut it off for a couple minutes and everything was fine. I was then able to move the car. What is the VMS and can it be replaced without replacing the battery?
Thank you!

If the APS was completely broken, then the car would have bigger issues than a charge timer.

From the description in the other thread, I suspect more of a smaller fault in APS startup/shutdown. The way a timer charge starts is that the car is woken up (via CAN bus command), and then the charge is started. Perhaps this happens too quickly for the faulty APS?

OVMS in Advanced Charge Control mode pretty much does the same thing, but is more persistent than the car's built in logic. At the appropriate time, it sends a command to wake up the car, waits 10 seconds. It then sends the wake up command again, and waits 1 more second. Then, 3 times it set the charge mode, charge limit, and start charge command (each separated by a 100ms delay).

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
Most likely the 'debug' feature isn't turned on, Tesla doesn't enable that by default to lower the message verbosity / calls from the customer that're not really an issue but rather just warnings are statements. I'd ask Tesla to turn / keep that turned on and then try to reproduce the issue. I'm sure there's a log message capturing the error.

Also you may want to try a 'cold' reboot of the VMS. There's a thread on that, I've seen a few bugs with the VMS and all of them have been cleaned up with a cold VMS reboot. A cold reboot means pulling all the power from the VMS and then re-applying it 20 seconds later.

Most likely the 'debug' feature isn't turned on, Tesla doesn't enable that by default to lower the message verbosity / calls from the customer that're not really an issue but rather just warnings are statements. I'd ask Tesla to turn / keep that turned on and then try to reproduce the issue. I'm sure there's a log message capturing the error.

Also you may want to try a 'cold' reboot of the VMS. There's a thread on that, I've seen a few bugs with the VMS and all of them have been cleaned up with a cold VMS reboot. A cold reboot means pulling all the power from the VMS and then re-applying it 20 seconds later.

I will give the cold VMS reboot a try.
Thank you!

If the APS was completely broken, then the car would have bigger issues than a charge timer.

From the description in the other thread, I suspect more of a smaller fault in APS startup/shutdown. The way a timer charge starts is that the car is woken up (via CAN bus command), and then the charge is started. Perhaps this happens too quickly for the faulty APS?

OVMS in Advanced Charge Control mode pretty much does the same thing, but is more persistent than the car's built in logic. At the appropriate time, it sends a command to wake up the car, waits 10 seconds. It then sends the wake up command again, and waits 1 more second. Then, 3 times it set the charge mode, charge limit, and start charge command (each separated by a 100ms delay).

I "think" we hooked up another owner's OVMS in an effort to solve the problem? I'm waiting to hear from Dennis Pascual to confirm this. Assuming it did not solve the problem, does that point to the possible answer to the problem?
Thank you

I did confirm that we tried charging the car using the timer and the OVMS in Advanced Charge Control mode with no success. I did a cold reboot of the VMS, (that was unpleasant at best!), with no success. I didn't get the job done in ten seconds, (I don't know how you guys do that?), I hope ten seconds wasn't a requirement? ? Someone suggested Gruber in Arizona might be able to solve the problem. Is there anyone here in Southern California that works on these things or is Gruber the only game in town?