Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging times question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As an experiment I removed teslafi and just used the Tesla app last night. Worked perfectly. So it looks like the problem is something to do with teslafi. I have now reinstalled teslafi and will see if this affects charging.

Last night I scheduled a charge for 00:30 on the Tesla App. I had teslafi also installed but without specifying a schedule. This worked fine. Now, my question is this. In teslafi, I can define a schedule to start at 00:30. Will this automatically start charging at the required time if on my Tesla app I have NOT set the schedule also? What happens if the schedule is on for both?

I still have not tested EV.energy so far.

This is the Teslafi schedule I have set up. Can someone tell what the column marked Setting is there for and how to access it?
schedule.jpg

The TeslaFi command is the same as if you pressed the Start Charging button in the mobile app, so the car will start charging at that time if it's below the target battery %. Same effect really as setting the schedule for the car to start charging. The only time this gets interesting is more if you have a Stop Charging set at 04:30 then a schedule set to start after this, the stop would stop then the schedule start it again.

The Setting column of for other types of commands you might send eg Set Temperature, it can't be set for Start Charging.

Last night I scheduled a charge for 00:30 on the Tesla App. I had teslafi also installed but without specifying a schedule. This worked fine. Now, my question is this. In teslafi, I can define a schedule to start at 00:30. Will this automatically start charging at the required time if on my Tesla app I have NOT set the schedule also? What happens if the schedule is on for both?

I still have not tested EV.energy so far.
If using Teslafi to set the charging periods you should not have any scheduling set on the car itself. The car will then start charging according to Teslafi. Having a car setting and an externally controlled setting at the same time is asking for trouble in my book. So if using the car schedule to start the charging make sure Teslafi isn’t trying to control it too.

Reactions: init6
If using Teslafi to set the charging periods you should not have any scheduling set on the car itself. The car will then start charging according to Teslafi. Having a car setting and an externally controlled setting at the same time is asking for trouble in my book. So if using the car schedule to start the charging make sure Teslafi isn’t trying to control it too.
I did this last night . I set the schedule on teslafi to start at 00:30. I did not have the schedule programmed on the Tesla app. I found that at 00:30 it tried to charge but then shortly after teslafi reported a series of API Error -Connection URL Timeout. And then at 00:47 it started charging properly and completed correctly at 00:54.
So it worked but with a delay at the start. Why?

I did this last night . I set the schedule on teslafi to start at 00:30. I did not have the schedule programmed on the Tesla app. I found that at 00:30 it tried to charge but then shortly after teslafi reported a series of API Error -Connection URL Timeout. And then at 00:47 it started charging properly and completed correctly at 00:54.
So it worked but with a delay at the start. Why?
Other people have had issues with the app not setting the car properly. You really need to check that nothing is set in the car, not just the app.

If you don't have anything set in the car it will start charging as soon as you plug it in. The best I found was to schedule the car to start charging at the latest point I would want to charge within the low price window.

I then gave up on it all and set it in my EO Mini charger, far better solution.

since tesla app and car both have a very well operating charge scheduler, I really want to understand why do you want to set it on the teslafi and not on the car itself?

what advantages does it provide to you, rather then just set car to start charge every time at 0:30?

your off-peak tariff will be applicable all the off-peak period, in Octopus case: 0:30 - 4:30

since tesla app and car both have a very well operating charge scheduler, I really want to understand why do you want to set it on the teslafi and not on the car itself?

what advantages does it provide to you, rather then just set car to start charge every time at 0:30?

your off-peak tariff will be applicable all the off-peak period, in Octopus case: 0:30 - 4:30

teslafi allows you to set a start and stop. Tesla in-car only allows a start or a stop. If you want to explicitly use only eg octopus go hours, teslafi should be more able to do that. It can be done in-car but requires you to set the start time and then calculate/estimate the charge level by 4:30 and then set that charge limit to get it to stop.

Not difficult, but it adds a level of friction that can be annoying. And then you forget and wake up with either too little charge, or having used a chunk of peak electricity

teslafi allows you to set a start and stop. Tesla in-car only allows a start or a stop. If you want to explicitly use only eg octopus go hours, teslafi should be more able to do that. It can be done in-car but requires you to set the start time and then calculate/estimate the charge level by 4:30 and then set that charge limit to get it to stop.

Not difficult, but it adds a level of friction that can be annoying. And then you forget and wake up with either too little charge, or having used a chunk of peak electricity
yes...
but in this case, there's another calc - 1 hr with 7KW charger charges 9% on 2022 LR.
So, current SOC + 36% = exactly 4 hrs of octopus go.

given that in 90% of the time I arrive home with more than 50% of battery and rarely charge above 80%, I am kind of covered.

I am on intelligent Octopus, though, so I get 6+ hrs of off-peak charge which is even better.

You can do it in the app. Think it was added recently, so easy to miss.

Use the charge stats menu to enter your electrickery rates and select time of use so you can enter the off-peak hours and costs per kwh (doesnt let you add decimal points!).
Then in the schedule menu choose charge off-peak as well as setting a schedule if you want your car ready by a certain time. It'll charge the car in the off-peak window and then do a precondition for when you've told it you'd like to leave at. I think if you've told it to precondition, it will charge towards the end of the off-peak time to maintain battery temperature as best it can, but I'm not 100% on that.

You can do it in the app. Think it was added recently, so easy to miss.

Use the charge stats menu to enter your electrickery rates and select time of use so you can enter the off-peak hours and costs per kwh (doesnt let you add decimal points!).
Then in the schedule menu choose charge off-peak as well as setting a schedule if you want your car ready by a certain time. It'll charge the car in the off-peak window and then do a precondition for when you've told it you'd like to leave at. I think if you've told it to precondition, it will charge towards the end of the off-peak time to maintain battery temperature as best it can, but I'm not 100% on that.
Thanks for that. I will try it out in the next night or two.