Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging times question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am on Octopus Go which has an off-peak period of 00:30 to 04:30. I have been trying to understand how the off peak charging works. For instance, last night I scheduled a 7% charge to start at 00:30 (I used the Tesla App for this). When I check the log I find two charging sessions
00:30 to 00:41 1%
02:03 to 02:42 6%

Can anyone explain why there are two separate charging sessions and why these particular times?

Nope, there's no reason why the car would stop and start if it was configured to start and hadn't reached it's set limit. Are you sure your charger doesn't also have a schedule?

I was using the Tesla App to set the schedule for charging (starting at 00:30). TeslaFi shows that actual charging times as I have already posted i.e. two separate charge periods. At the time I had no scheduling from Teslafi. I will try next to schedule the charging only from Teslafi and not the Tesla App.

I am not aware that the charger (Tesla generation 3 wall charger)) has a built in schedule.
Nope it doesn't.

Anything in Scheduled Departure? It should be overridden by setting a start time, but that config can generate odd results. The other thing could be a loose connection when it's plugged in can cause the charging to stop, but you would see errors in the car's log.

I am on Octopus Go which has an off-peak period of 00:30 to 04:30. I have been trying to understand how the off peak charging works. For instance, last night I scheduled a 7% charge to start at 00:30 (I used the Tesla App for this). When I check the log I find two charging sessions

Can anyone explain why there are two separate charging sessions and why these particular times?
I’m a bit confused… how can you set a 7% charge? (And why!) is that a typo?

I’m a bit confused… how can you set a 7% charge? (And why!) is that a typo?
I was guessing the OP had (for example) 63% when he was setting the charge, and he set it to 70%.

Hard to check though, as just because there was 63% when they were setting it, it doesn't mean there was 63% when it started charging.

Also, sometimes when I set 80%, there is 82% when I get in the car...

I was guessing the OP had (for example) 63% when he was setting the charge, and he set it to 70%.

Hard to check though, as just because there was 63% when they were setting it, it doesn't mean there was 63% when it started charging.

Also, sometimes when I set 80%, there is 82% when I get in the car...
Yes : my 7% meant that I was starting with 63% and setting the final charge to 70%

• Helpful
Reactions: Adopado
Continuing on with my experimentation. Last night I did not use the Tesla App at all. Instead I set up a schedule on Teslafi (see attached) but without including a separate line to stop charging (I guess this is equivalent to the Tesla App "Enable scheduled charging"). My battery started at 59% and I set on the Tesla App the final charge to be 80%. This morning the result was that there were three charging events:
00:31 - 00:41 2% 59-61%
01:04 - 01:34 5% 60-65%
04:04 - 05:45 15% 65-80%

So
1. Why are there three separate charging events?
2. Note that the third one charged for 1:15 outside the off peak period (00:30 to 04:30).

Tonight I will add another line to the Teslafi schedule to stop charging at 04:30.

Attachments

• teslficharging.jpg
    teslficharging.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 56
I'd try it without Teslafi and the app and use only the car's schedule. You've got 3 potential scheduling processes and only switched off one of them.

Did you check the logs as @GRiLLA suggested?
Nothing relevant in the logs i.e. service/notifications.

I tried originally using only the Tesla App and it did do the charging within the off peak window. However it did it in two separate stages

so my question then was why two different time stages? It was suggested I try Teslafi so that is what I have been doing.

Can you be more specific? Which settings are you referring to?
There's an option in the car controls under charging to set the schedules. See also this post:

I'd need to do a bit more searching, but ISTR there was a post where someone had a similar conflict and resolved it by turning scheduling 'on' in the car and then 'off'. Cue IT Crowd jokes. :)

There's an option in the car controls under charging to set the schedules. See also this post:

I'd need to do a bit more searching, but ISTR there was a post where someone had a similar conflict and resolved it by turning scheduling 'on' in the car and then 'off'. Cue IT Crowd jokes. :)
Thanks. I see that the suggestion is not to use the App but instead schedule the charge from the car. I will continue experimenting over the next few days. I dont know why charge scheduling has to be so difficult.

You've got 3 things capable of impacting the charge - the car, the app and Teslafi. You need to start with one and then introduce the others to see where the issue is. Lots of threads on scheduling in this forum. Just bung schedule into the search bar and select "this Forum" in the drop down box.

I dont know why charge scheduling has to be so difficult.
It isn't difficult. You appear to have a particular issue ...
I set a percentage and a start time and if there's electricity available at the appointed time the car charges! I never need to touch my start time from one year to the next ... and it has been flawless. I have never come across a situation where the charge period splits in the way you are experiencing so will be fascinated to discover the ultimate cause.