Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging times / range question ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
image.jpeg

Oops didn't post my question..

Anyways, I understand that the 64km/h is approximately how much range I'll get per hour, but what about the +136? Is this additional range per hour? Per entire charge? What does the + represent?

I poorly judged my evening and I'm in the middle of nowhere using a local charger outside of a fire station. (Thanks to the Plugshare App saving my ass!

Not sure if you're still there -- At a Supercharger, the closer you get to 100%, the rate of charge will taper off, so it doesn't usually make sense to wait. At a "slow" charger, like you're on, that taper would not be nearly as noticeable. Charge what you need to complete your journey, assuming you have no other charging options before arriving at your destination.

Not sure if you're still there -- At a Supercharger, the closer you get to 100%, the rate of charge will taper off, so it doesn't usually make sense to wait. At a "slow" charger, like you're on, that taper would not be nearly as noticeable. Charge what you need to complete your journey, assuming you have no other charging options before arriving at your destination.
I'm still here...

I want to do a few more things here before heading home. I'm up to 327km now. My typical 90% is 375km (down from when I took delivery at 379km). I set my charge limit at 100%, so that I don't notice the slow down, but will probably not stay until 100%. Am I really tricking my car by doing this? Or am I ruining my battery? I will probably charge to what I know to be my 90%

You're not ruining your battery by charging to 100% on those times that you need the additional range -- unless you're doing that on as a regular practice. Whether you set the limit to 90% or 100%, the rate of charge won't vary as you near a full charge. The car knows the actual size of your battery. The charge limit is just an "artificial" cap on it.

• Informative
Reactions: SSD420
You're not ruining your battery by charging to 100% on those times that you need the additional range -- unless you're doing that on as a regular practice. Whether you set the limit to 90% or 100%, the rate of charge won't vary as you near a full charge. The car knows the actual size of your battery. The charge limit is just an "artificial" cap on it.

I charge to 100% if I know I'll be doing semi long drive one way and know that I need to make the round trip the same day....

Oops didn't post my question..

Anyways, I understand that the 64km/h is approximately how much range I'll get per hour, but what about the +136? Is this additional range per hour? Per entire charge? What does the + represent?

I poorly judged my evening and I'm in the middle of nowhere using a local charger outside of a fire station. (Thanks to the Plugshare App saving my ass!

It is the amount of range you have added since charge began.

There are lots of other posts here from people more technically qualified to talk about what charging to 100% all the time would mean, but that doesn't sound like what you're doing. You charge to 100% if you're going to need that little extra bit of range to make it to your destination. To me, if I'm not going to have access to some other way to charge during a long drive, it's a no-brainer. Either you charge to 100% and make it through your entire trip, or you charge to less than 100% and don't make it -- I'll take arriving at my destination every time.

If there's some way to top-off your battery mid-trip, that might be better for the long term lifespan of your battery than continually needing to charge to 100%, but if charging isn't available, you do what you need to do. You'll get more comfortable with understanding the range of your car and your range anxiety will decrease over time. You might be able to trade driving at a slightly slower speed at increased efficiency than a higher speed that uses more juice. As weather changes, and things start to cool off, your driving and charging behavior might need to adjust again. If you're regularly driving to new destinations (or until you're familiar with driving to those destinations in an electric vehicle), you can use evtripplanner.com to get an idea of expected power usage at different conditions and speeds. It's also a good idea to get familiar with the Energy App and the Consumption Chart to get a better representation of the range you can expect based on your actual driving patterns and planned navigation routes.

Plug-Share is definitely a great tool to help you out when you need to find options for charging outside the Supercharger network.

• Informative
Reactions: SSD420
Be aware that by charging to 100% you will have no regen braking until you run the charge level down some. For those of us who deal with steep hills it is a safety consideration. Otherwise, just expect that you are going to have to use the brake pedal to slow, rather then regen (if you are used to single pedal driving). The first time you back off the accelerator, and the car doesn't slow at all, can be a bit disconcerting.

Just saying...

Be aware that by charging to 100% you will have no regen braking until you run the charge level down some. For those of us who deal with steep hills it is a safety consideration. Otherwise, just expect that you are going to have to use the brake pedal to slow, rather then regen (if you are used to single pedal driving). The first time you back off the accelerator, and the car doesn't slow at all, can be a bit disconcerting.

Just saying...
I experienced this once on my first long trip. It really threw me off until I understand why.

There are lots of other posts here from people more technically qualified to talk about what charging to 100% all the time would mean, but that doesn't sound like what you're doing. You charge to 100% if you're going to need that little extra bit of range to make it to your destination. To me, if I'm not going to have access to some other way to charge during a long drive, it's a no-brainer. Either you charge to 100% and make it through your entire trip, or you charge to less than 100% and don't make it -- I'll take arriving at my destination every time.

If there's some way to top-off your battery mid-trip, that might be better for the long term lifespan of your battery than continually needing to charge to 100%, but if charging isn't available, you do what you need to do. You'll get more comfortable with understanding the range of your car and your range anxiety will decrease over time. You might be able to trade driving at a slightly slower speed at increased efficiency than a higher speed that uses more juice. As weather changes, and things start to cool off, your driving and charging behavior might need to adjust again. If you're regularly driving to new destinations (or until you're familiar with driving to those destinations in an electric vehicle), you can use evtripplanner.com to get an idea of expected power usage at different conditions and speeds. It's also a good idea to get familiar with the Energy App and the Consumption Chart to get a better representation of the range you can expect based on your actual driving patterns and planned navigation routes.

Plug-Share is definitely a great tool to help you out when you need to find options for charging outside the Supercharger network.

My range anxiety has definitely dropped down since having my MX for 2 ½ months, but reading stories on here about being ICE'd or plugs not working and now travelling to places whereas I can't find any places to charge on charge point has me exceptionally concerned about winter. Every Tesla owner that I've met has warned me that I will lose approximately 20% of my range.

I do a lot of driving. In fact I found since getting my MX, I've driven even more. I'm at the 2 ½ month mark and I'm almost at 13,000 km. (Thank goodness for the 8 year, unlimited warranty on the battery!).