Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging times reducing significantly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do ICE cars still have a fill-up time advantage? Yes, of course.
But EVs are catching up fast.

Previous year's trip: charge times were on average between 35-50 minutes
This year's trip: charge times were on average between 15 and 30 minutes

Total trip charge time this year :
according to A Better Route Planner : 4h43
according to real life (photos taken at start and end of each charge) 5h50

Questionnaires for ICE owners:
Fair estimation for average fuel up time at the station (including possible toilet stops, drinks/snack purchase)
across 2 different surveys
15 minutes was the clear winner
with 10 minutes second

ICE car maths:
ICE car over 2100 mile fuel trip using an average fuel efficiency of 450 miles per tank
5 fuel stops @ 10 minutes = 50 mins, 5 fuel stops @15 minutes = 75 mins - average = 1 hour fuelling time

2.5 day journey also requires meal / toilet stops, so 5 meal stops @30 minutes = 2h30

TOTAL ICE stops = 3h30
TOTAL Tesla stops = 5h50

Need ICE vehicle stops to be well documented for more accurate figures. Preferably the same road trip with an EV and an ICE car. But as a rough guide this is handy for road trips.

Next video will be a fuel stop price comparison between EV and ICE cars.

An interesting video. My big take-away is his comment about it all comes down to driving dynamics. (how people take breaks, how long, who's in the car, etc.)

He didn't mention one thing I do which takes away one long charge each day; I charge at the hotel at night which doesn't waste any of my time.
I noted in my last 2400 mile trip from Nevada to Tennessee that my time was not much reduced due to "significantly better" recent charge improvements. I think most of us know why.

Clearly, there are two camps of people and I've been in both camps. When a LOT younger, I wanted to get from A to B as fast as absolutely possible with as short of breaks as possible (which I admit isn't very smart for several reasons).
Now that I am a LOT older, I am in the camp that an ICE car would take me almost the same amount of time as my Tesla because I take many long breaks and do a fair amount of walking (at least 20 minutes) on each stop after I eat, and go to the restroom. Bottom line for me, I don't care if stop time is improving or not on a very long trip. Now having said that, if I am going from Sparks to Fremont (about 240 miles) where I won't be in the car all day and I need a charge along the way; then I might care if it is a little faster. :)

• Helpful
Reactions: Lasairfion
However, for those of us who own older Model S, charge times are getting slower. I know the battery chemistry is different. But I just Supercharged earlier today, and to go from 13% to 80% took nearly one hour. The peak rate on an unpaired stall jumped to 104kW for an instant before settling down to 88kW. By 20%, the rate had dropped to around 75. In contrast on a road trip two months ago, I would see 100kW+ through 22-24%, slowly tapering down to 60-65kW at 50%. Today, at 50% the rate was around 48kW. Two months ago, a charge from the mid-teens to around 80% took about 40-45 minutes.

There is another thread started by David where he has documented the dramatic change in Supercharging speeds for older model S.

• Informative
commuter fuel up time comparison:

charge at home = plug & up-plug - time too small to matter

ICE go to gas station, fill up go on to ... home or work
15 min. for once a week - 30 min. for twice per week
12 to 25 hours per year

Long Distance travel - depends on .... destination charging too small to matter ... good planning or luck may well not matter

just my biased perspective - your view may differ

note: small island, retired, 22 miles to go get gas, with traffic & stop lights 30 - 45 min. once per month - now I mostly bike & walk. So 1.5 years now down to zero re-fueling]

side note: EV drivers I ask are just very happy to never visit a gas station again.

Last edited:
  • Helpful