Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging to 100% w/ 110V

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From what it seems, the rule of thumb of charging to 100% is to start driving as soon as possible as its not good for a car to sit at 100% for long periods of time.

The question I have is how safe would it be charging a 90D to 100% with a 110V source? Since its a process that could take ~6-8 hours to complete. I may not need the full 100% this weekend (return trip), but at least something above 90%, trying to find the happy middle of how long I could let it charge safely beyond 90% before driving off with it.

110V source will be more like 2 days to charge :)
Really depends upon your battery capacity and level of charge when you start and a bit on your particular outlet and even on the weather/temperature. I've gotten as little as 1mph range in my Model S in extremely cold weather and as much as 4mph on a good outlet. Given a potential range of 300 miles on a 100kWh pack you can estimate around 3mph average so 100 hours is over 4 days from empty to 100%. But if you just need 100 miles you'll do it in a day and a half.

In the early days if a client's car was staying the night we would charge them overnight on a 110v outlet. Wow that was slow and we wondered if anyone was doing that as their only means of charging.
While on the 110v subject... I was staying at a hotel in Pullman, WA last year and noticed a Tesla with an extension cord to the building's outlet. Some douche kicked the cord loose so when the owner got up the next morning he was screwed on miles. Poor guy, not sure how far he got that day.

110V source will be more like 2 days to charge :)
Actually, it's about 3 days.;) It's really not a problem for those with minimal daily driving needs. I use a 2011 Leaf for in-town driving (also charged on 120V, different circuit) and the 70D for road trips. I keep it at 50% SOC, then bump it up the night before leaving. I usually get it to 80% or so. Since there are SC's in all directions (most within 100 mi) that I drive, I just spend a bit more time having lunch/coffee at the SC.

In the early days if a client's car was staying the night we would charge them overnight on a 110v outlet. Wow that was slow and we wondered if anyone was doing that as their only means of charging.
While on the 110v subject... I was staying at a hotel in Pullman, WA last year and noticed a Tesla with an extension cord to the building's outlet. Some douche kicked the cord loose so when the owner got up the next morning he was screwed on miles. Poor guy, not sure how far he got that day.
I've been unplugged too. Fortunately the iPhone app gives a "charging interrupted" notification.

Actually I've spoken to Tesla SC regarding this. Charging on 110V from 0-100% a few times a year actually extends battery life. A slow charge allows the cells to rebalance and that normally happens when the car is charging from 93% to 100%.

The SC said if we have the time to do this a few times a year, it greatly helps the battery.

Actually I've spoken to Tesla SC regarding this. Charging on 110V from 0-100% a few times a year actually extends battery life. A slow charge allows the cells to rebalance and that normally happens when the car is charging from 93% to 100%.

The SC said if we have the time to do this a few times a year, it greatly helps the battery.
IF that is true, I suspect the same beneficial effect could be produced by simply dialing down the amperage when charging from your HPWC or 240V 40A outlet.

But I would not assume that what you were told -- that charging on 110V to 100% "greatly helps the battery" -- is true. Maybe.

Reactions: Ciaopec