TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Charging to 100% w/ 110V

Discussion in 'Model S' started by mikec8, Oct 6, 2016.

1. mikec8

mikec8 Member

From what it seems, the rule of thumb of charging to 100% is to start driving as soon as possible as its not good for a car to sit at 100% for long periods of time.

The question I have is how safe would it be charging a 90D to 100% with a 110V source? Since its a process that could take ~6-8 hours to complete. I may not need the full 100% this weekend (return trip), but at least something above 90%, trying to find the happy middle of how long I could let it charge safely beyond 90% before driving off with it.

2. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

People on these forums worry too much. Charge to the level you need, drive and enjoy the car.

• Like x 6
  3. Wknapp0924

Wknapp0924 Member

Telsaloop owner charged Tesla to 100% every day for 200,000 miles and had 6% battery degradation. You will be fine.

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

110V source will be more like 2 days to charge :)

5. mikec8

mikec8 Member

Maybe more! Forgot to mention that it was for charging from 90% to 100%. Will be able to charge to 90% on 110V over the few days but then set charge to 100% a few hours before leaving to have it charged on time.

6. Max*

Yes, if a few hours = ~6-9 hours

• Like x 1
  7. Pezpunk

Pezpunk Member

this.

8. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Really depends upon your battery capacity and level of charge when you start and a bit on your particular outlet and even on the weather/temperature. I've gotten as little as 1mph range in my Model S in extremely cold weather and as much as 4mph on a good outlet. Given a potential range of 300 miles on a 100kWh pack you can estimate around 3mph average so 100 hours is over 4 days from empty to 100%. But if you just need 100 miles you'll do it in a day and a half.

9. JMG

JMG Member

I used to be worried about that really bad before, but someone on here gave me good advice. Don't charge to 100% all the time of course, but don't ever be afraid to charge to 100% if you need it.

10. fallen888

fallen888 Member.. hehe, I said "member"

You poor soul. o_O

• Funny x 1
  11. murphyS90D

murphyS90D Member

I charge from about 15% to 100% using 120 V with a 5-20 adapter (16 amps) 2 or 3 times a year. It has always taken less that 2 days.

12. Fresh Start Detail

Fresh Start Detail Local Vendor - Northwest

In the early days if a client's car was staying the night we would charge them overnight on a 110v outlet. Wow that was slow and we wondered if anyone was doing that as their only means of charging.
    While on the 110v subject... I was staying at a hotel in Pullman, WA last year and noticed a Tesla with an extension cord to the building's outlet. Some douche kicked the cord loose so when the owner got up the next morning he was screwed on miles. Poor guy, not sure how far he got that day.

13. ReddyLeaf

ReddyLeaf Member

Actually, it's about 3 days.;) It's really not a problem for those with minimal daily driving needs. I use a 2011 Leaf for in-town driving (also charged on 120V, different circuit) and the 70D for road trips. I keep it at 50% SOC, then bump it up the night before leaving. I usually get it to 80% or so. Since there are SC's in all directions (most within 100 mi) that I drive, I just spend a bit more time having lunch/coffee at the SC.

14. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

I've been unplugged too. Fortunately the iPhone app gives a "charging interrupted" notification.

15. byan1232

byan1232 Member

Actually I've spoken to Tesla SC regarding this. Charging on 110V from 0-100% a few times a year actually extends battery life. A slow charge allows the cells to rebalance and that normally happens when the car is charging from 93% to 100%.

The SC said if we have the time to do this a few times a year, it greatly helps the battery.

16. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

IF that is true, I suspect the same beneficial effect could be produced by simply dialing down the amperage when charging from your HPWC or 240V 40A outlet.

But I would not assume that what you were told -- that charging on 110V to 100% "greatly helps the battery" -- is true. Maybe.

• Like x 1
  17. Max*

The service center technicians never give out misinformation....... o wait.

• Funny x 1
  18. Hendry01

Hendry01 Member

When I charge to 100% (usually on road trip) I try to make sure I don't leave the car sitting at 100% for too long. I try to coincide the completion time to as close to when I am schedule to leave