Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging to 100%

How often do you charge to 100%?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just charged to 100% today and typically do it a couple of times a year. Made me wonder how often others are doing it. I’ve had the car since 6/3/2018 and driven 18.5k miles. Noticed about 1% battery degradation which isn’t bad at all. My signature has my configuration.

Please respond to the poll using the selection that best matches your habit. In the comments you can include other information such as miles driven, age of car, configuration, degradation, and anything else you’d like to share.

Reactions: mswlogo
This week I took delivery of a Model 3 Standard Plus downgraded to a Standard. It was a test-drive model with ~400 miles on it. On delivery it on had about 140 miles in the tank. So, I charged that night (240V/26A) to 100% to see the full capacity. It only reached 215 miles at 100%. I was shocked. I figured it was already software limited to 220 from it's 240 capacity. I drove it a couple of days and then tried slow charging it with 120V/15A. It only got to 213 miles. I have not driven it for a couple more days and got it down below 140 miles again. I spoke to my sales person. They said they had never head of any like that before. They suggested a reset and try charging a 240v again. If that did not work, take it to service. So, I just finished a charge at (240V/23A) and got 213 mile again. That would already be over an 11% degradation! I'm still under the 7 day return period and I'm considering returning it.

Has anyone else seen this out of a Model 3 Standard?

This week I took delivery of a Model 3 Standard Plus downgraded to a Standard. It was a test-drive model with ~400 miles on it. On delivery it on had about 140 miles in the tank. So, I charged that night (240V/26A) to 100% to see the full capacity. It only reached 215 miles at 100%. I was shocked. I figured it was already software limited to 220 from it's 240 capacity. I drove it a couple of days and then tried slow charging it with 120V/15A. It only got to 213 miles. I have not driven it for a couple more days and got it down below 140 miles again. I spoke to my sales person. They said they had never head of any like that before. They suggested a reset and try charging a 240v again. If that did not work, take it to service. So, I just finished a charge at (240V/23A) and got 213 mile again. That would already be over an 11% degradation! I'm still under the 7 day return period and I'm considering returning it.

That’s more like a 3% degradation but I wouldn’t want that from a brand new car. I would want a new car.

Had mine for 7k miles and have never charged to 100%. I've reached high 90s maybe only twice with normal charging ending between 80-90. My stats app hasn't been working in the past month or so for some reason but last I checked I was still in the same 305-310 mile range as when I bought the car so virtually unchanged.

I voted never, but I think I did charge it to 100% at least once, maybe twice in the first 2 months of ownership just to see. It takes so long that I found it pretty pointless, and now that I've had the car longer I'm getting much better about range anxiety. If I really need range, I'll charge to 90-95%.

So, I just finished a charge at (240V/23A) and got 213 mile again. That would already be over an 11% degradation! I'm still under the 7 day return period and I'm considering returning it.

I'm getting 212.67 at a 90% charge, which is 1.55% below the advertised capacity. They really should advertise 235 - 245 miles of range and then target 240 and they'd be setting expectations correctly. At 213 at 100% you would indeed be be 11% under the advertised capacity and I'd be very concerned by that on a brand new car. What do you get when you charge to 90% capacity?