Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging to 90%, cooling fans stay on and drain battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After charging my car (at 240v/40A) I have to unplug and move it into my carport. Ever since 2019.40.x when I charge to 90% my cooling fans stay on for hours and my charge will drop by 2-3% in a matter of hours! This never happened before.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

If this is the new norm, is it even worth charging to 90% if it’s just going to discharge quickly by cooling the battery for hours on end??

fyi i also have the greatly reduced regen on a “cool” morning (50-60 deg.). This happens even after charging for almost 2hrs at 40A!!

• Informative
Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
My 2015 P85DL did this 2 days ago randomly when it was plugged into our Tesla High Power Wall Connector (gen1 HPWC on 100A circuit / 80A max output) after had been charged overnight to 90%. I drove it yesterday and recharged to 90% again overnight and the cooling fans aren't running this morning while it is still connected to my HPWC .

Christmas "Easter Egg" ???

I have been experiencing that before 2019.40, but I rarely charge to 90%. What has changed for me is that there’s now a high pitched whine without the cooling fans running even though I charge nightly to 80%. I think it’s one of the cooling pumps running. I’m now on 2019.40.2.3 (P85D) and don’t use preset departure, etc.