Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging to 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the past I have been charging to 80%. I have been advised that charging to 90% may be acceptable without affecting the battery life/degredation. It turns out that 90% will save me one battery charging session per week. Thoughts/comments?

...I have been advised that charging to 90%...

Who is that authoritative person?

Service Center instructs owners to set it at 90% and the youtuber below didn't believe it until she herself was told and she made a video about it.

upload_2019-9-13_11-54-0-png.454293

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
The fact is, the closer to 50% a Lion battery can be stored, the healthier it will be.

Practically, it doesn't make a difference. So charge to whatever you want. I charge to 80%, and an hour before I leave increase the charge to 90% to warm my battery before I leave (in cold months).

In the past I have been charging to 80%. I have been advised that charging to 90% may be acceptable without affecting the battery life/degredation. It turns out that 90% will save me one battery charging session per week. Thoughts/comments?

How is that "saving you one charging session per week?". Based on that statement, it sounds to me like you are "running the battery down to charge it back up". Is that the case?

Reactions: Rocky_H
If your battery is fine, keep doing what you were doing. Do you charge at home? Saving one session hardly seems like a thing.

High SoC is bad for it (if left for any length of time, less of a problem if you hit the target and then drive).

Deep discharge is bad for it.

Sounds like you're charging to 90 then doing a deep discharge. If you're charging right when you get home and its sitting overnight at 90 and then you do a deep discharge till it's low, that's about the worse schedule you could do. Only way to do it worse is charge to 100%.

Disclaimer: High SoC is dependent on temperature. So it's less harmful if it's cold out.

• Informative
Reactions: FutureShock
Normally, if you don't drive very many miles each day, and you want to be extra kind to your battery, I would suggest you leave it at 80% and charge every day. If there is some reason why charging every day is inconvenient, then certainly charging to 90% is no problem whatsoever.

P.S. if you're running the battery down below 20% regularly, I'd change my charging schedule to avoid going that low.

Goodness.
Who is that authoritative person?

Service Center instructs owners to set it at 90% and the youtuber below didn't believe it until she herself was told and she made a video about it.
What nonsense. You have to know why that recommendation is being given. It's a marketing answer. They don't have to have Tesla employees trained in how to spend 15 minutes interviewing each customer to give them a custom-determined recommendation of a charging level based on their home charging setup and temperature and daily driving habits, etc. etc. They want to have one K.I.S.S. answer that they can just train the employees to tell to everyone that is generally OK. It obviously won't be the most ideal answer, but it's good enough.

There have been tons of studies of lithium ion batteries, and they all show that closer to mid-point is most ideal. But people have to use their cars, so practically, using a 55-60% daily charging level wouldn't work for most people, because a lot of people do drive more than about 20 miles per day. So Tesla shows you on the battery screen that you can pick your own "Daily" level somewhere between 50%-90%, based on however you want to play that balance between having enough range or being more ideal.

Now about the 90% versus 70 or 80%, it's not a continuous linear effect of how far from the upper end you are. In other words, a 10% difference has different amount of benefit depending on where it is. You get the most bang for your buck, getting away from the worst conditions, using 90 instead of 100. Less helpfulness doing 80 instead of 90, but still slightly better, etc.

90% is fine.

BUT, with your paranoia about winter loss, and the fact that it sounds like you are only charging every few days, this isn't the time of the year to start reducing #sessions/wk.

It also sounds as if you may not have a home charger, that's going to be your biggest solution to your problem.

How is that "saving you one charging session per week?". Based on that statement, it sounds to me like you are "running the battery down to charge it back up". Is that the case?

This was my first thought. "Running the battery down close to zero to charge it back up," if that's what you're doing, is far more of a degradation factor than the difference between 80% vs. 90% charge level.