Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging turning on/off frequently

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Tesla 3 charging flips rapidly between on/off when I initially plug it in to charge using the SAE J1772 Charging Adapter, and my Level 2 Clipper Creek HCS-40, 32 amp EV Charging Station at home. I have to unplug an replug the adapter a few times for the charging to continue normally.

I have not noticed this behavior when using a Tesla Supercharger, or another Level 2 Charger. I am not sure if the SAE J1772 Charging Adapter is defective or perhaps there is something else wrong. I am going to try replacing the SAE J1772 Charging Adapter and see if that helps. Posting this here in case anyone else has experienced something similar. Thank you.

My Tesla 3 charging flips rapidly between on/off when I initially plug it in to charge using the SAE J1772 Charging Adapter, and my Level 2 Clipper Creek HCS-40, 32 amp EV Charging Station at home. I have to unplug an replug the adapter a few times for the charging to continue normally.

I have not noticed this behavior when using a Tesla Supercharger, or another Level 2 Charger. I am not sure if the SAE J1772 Charging Adapter is defective or perhaps there is something else wrong. I am going to try replacing the SAE J1772 Charging Adapter and see if that helps. Posting this here in case anyone else has experienced something similar. Thank you.
Tesla can run a over the air diagnostic and correct it most of the time via software update.

Doubt it’s the adapter.
Try lowering current in the car a bit and see if it goes away.
Did it used to work, is it new?
Sometimes charge units have options you can adjust for compatibility. Even Wall Connector has a legacy dip switch I used to avoid a similar issue.

Could be voltage sag issue too.

I doubt Tesla will help with a 3rd party charge unit. The manufacturer of the charge unit probably would be more help.

Doubt it’s the adapter.
Try lowering current in the car a bit and see if it goes away.
Did it used to work, is it new?
Sometimes charge units have options you can adjust for compatibility. Even Wall Connector has a legacy dip switch I used to avoid a similar issue.

Could be voltage sag issue too.

I doubt Tesla will help with a 3rd party charge unit. The manufacturer of the charge unit probably would be more help.
It's been working fine for over 3 years, started happening in the past month or so. Good idea on reducing the voltage, let me try that out. Thanks!
I did reach out to Clipper Creek, hope to hear from them soon.

It may have something to do with scheduled departure time. I disabled that and it's working fine. I switched from scheduled departure to scheduled charging. I think with scheduled departure Tesla "tests" the level 2 charger, perhaps by turning it on/off repeatedly. Or maybe there is a bug in the software.

Reactions: mswlogo