Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging two cars - replacing existing charge point

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought I would ask the Hive Mind in here what my options are.

Here's my situation...

My mains supply (single phase) terminates roughly in the middle of my house under the stairs.

I have Solar, a PowerWall 2 and a 32A charge point, so there are three reasonably hefty cables already making the awkward journey to the nearest outside wall.

Having just taken delivery of my M3 to sit alongside my wife's PHEV, we currently need to keep swapping cables to charge our cars; that's fine at the moment - if a bit of a pain - but she intends to get a MY when they become available in the UK, so this will be much more of a pain when that happens.

We don't mind both cars charging slower if necessary, but we would like a more practical and workable solution.

I've seen YouTube videos from the US saying that dual attach smart chargers are available, but so far I've not found anything in the UK so far. I talked to an installer who said that no such thing exists - clearly wrong - so now I'm a bit stuck.

I know that one option is to install a second charge point, but I'd rather not run another cable through my kitchen - plus, I'm not sure it's possible because some of the adjoining wall spaces are actually quite small.

So, Hive Mind, is there a dual attach charge point that would fit my requirements? I'd prefer to re-use the existing 32A cable as well if possible,

(On the face of it the CTEK Chargestorm Connected 2 might fit the bill CHARGESTORM® CONNECTED 2 - EV Charger | CTEK E-Mobility).

Go.

Reactions: CMc1
I'm pretty sure the tesla wall charger (and likely others) can be set for a max charge rate so two set for 16A max would do your job albeit without the easy option of charging one car faster without going in and changing dipswitches.
The other option may be to simply pull your 32A cable through and change it for a 60+A one and set a pair of chargers accordingly (assuming house supply is 100A and not too many other demands). the difference in diameter between 32A and 60A cable can't be much?
I had a 60A armoured line run overhead to my barn and it's not that thick - supplies charger, barn lights, freezers etc

pgk

I would check out the Zappi charger (made in the UK). You can start charging with solar left over.you can measure the total (house) power user and adapt the charge speed. So kind of load balancing. Of course this can also be done with the Tesla wall charger but the zappi has many more options.

Either a pair of load balancing charge points, like the TWC and a few others, or fit any sort of second charge point in conjunction with a priority relay box. The latter just ensures that the total demand isn't exceeded, by turning off one of the charge points. They were originally designed to allow electric showers to be fitted to installations with a low maximum current, but Garo, and perhaps one or two other companies, have adapted them to be used for managing the maximum demand from charge points.

We have two charge points, and manage them via time switches fitted to both, so they charge on alternate nights.

Another vote for Zappi here... They can talk to each other and limit the total load on the grid. Also works well with solar divert...

I have 2 EV's and 2 charge points.. one dumb and one a zappi.

The crazy thing, we have never needed to charge both EV's at the same time, and we only ever charge on Eco7. Are you able to charge each car on alternate days? If so, 1 charger will be sufficient.

A M3 and MY both have a type 2 charger, so just leave a cable attached all the time...

I would get 2 Tesla Wall Connectors -- they are reasonably cheap on Ebay and they talk to each other via a wire, and balance the load so the total never exceeds 32A. Massive benefit of the TWC is you get "the button" which makes all the difference when wanting to disconnect the cable.
Also the recent Tesla Software update 2020.48.26 contents some new improved charging and pre-heating settings.

I would get 2 Tesla Wall Connectors -- they are reasonably cheap on Ebay and they talk to each other via a wire, and balance the load so the total never exceeds 32A. Massive benefit of the TWC is you get "the button" which makes all the difference when wanting to disconnect the cable.

This is the way I went as they load balance to limit total infeed supply to 32A. Replaced my original Polar charger and sold it for a decent amount on Ebay. Both the TWC's came from Ebay with a decent discount.

My daughters Zoe charges happily with my M3 on load share or individually on Octo Go cheap rate.

Reactions: KennethS

Ah yes, I wasn't aware of the load sharing capability from the Tesla chargers.

Does anyone know if the Tesla wall charger just works like a standard tethered Type-2 charger so it can charge any suitable EV?

I'm wary of going down the proprietary route in case the Mrs decided to get something else instead, plus we need to be able to continue to charge her existing car in the meantime anyway.

That's good to know, sounds like my way forward is to switch to a Tesla wall charger now, then add the second one set up for load sharing when I need it.

I suspect this means upgrading the existing cable in preparation, I better start talking to an installer (or two).

Since there seem to be some extremely knowledgeable people here on electrical matters, how much work is involved in connecting a second Tesla WC to one already installed? From the instruction manual it looks to an untrained person (me) that it is far simpler linking the second TWC to one already installed than the work involved in installing the main/master unit. Would that be correct or should I budget for a similar cost as when I had the first one installed? I have a two car garage with the TWC on one side and would want the second not far away also in the garage, so it's an easy cable run.