Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging two different EV's with one nema 240 volt 14-50 outlet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently have a new Volvo S90 plug-in hybrid. I will be getting a Tesla Model S delivered soon. I have a nema 240 volt 14-50 outlet that I use to charge the Volvo with now. I had to get another charging cable, a different one then Volvo supplied, to use with the nema 14-50 outlet. The new charging cable for the Volvo is Part no, 32257973 14.7 ft. described as ( Nema 14-50p plug & Nema 5-15P plug -Mode 2)
My question now is what do I need now to charge both using the one nema 14-50 outlet? I do not thing it would be wise to always unplug each cable from the outlet to use two different charging cables for the two different vehicles. What is the best way to use the one outlet and what is needed please?

You could use something like this:

It's designed for electric ranges, but can also be used to charge two cars, though not simultaneously. It is automatic though. That said, with the S90's small battery, it wouldn't be charging very long, and 40A @ 240v will easily charge the MS overnight even if the battery is empty.

Upvote 0
You could use something like this:

It's designed for electric ranges, but can also be used to charge two cars, though not simultaneously. It is automatic though. That said, with the S90's small battery, it wouldn't be charging very long, and 40A @ 240v will easily charge the MS overnight even if the battery is empty.
Thanks for the suggestion! I will look into it and also ones that may be similar. Do you think this would work? With your suggestion i found this one below. It is not auto but a lot less money.

Parkworld 692095 RV 50 AMP Splitter Adapter 14-50P Male Plug to Dual 14-50R Female Connector 3FT (Black)​

Upvote 0
Thanks for the suggestion! I will look into it and also ones that may be similar. Do you think this would work? With your suggestion i found this one below. It is not auto but a lot less money.

Parkworld 692095 RV 50 AMP Splitter Adapter 14-50P Male Plug to Dual 14-50R Female Connector 3FT (Black)​

This will technically work, provided you can ensure through scheduling that the cars will never try to charge at the same time.

Upvote 0
I had to get another charging cable, a different one then Volvo supplied, to use with the nema 14-50 outlet. The new charging cable for the Volvo is Part no, 32257973 14.7 ft. described as ( Nema 14-50p plug & Nema 5-15P plug -Mode 2)
This is a really vague, not informative description of what this thing is, so I Googled for it with "Volvo 32257973", and found the product page for it from Volvo, which is even worse. It doesn't even have any picture of description of what this thing is!!! But you can pay $515.58 to get one!

There is one plug type standard that all electric cars in North America use (except Tesla), and that plug handle is known as J1772. They are all cross-compatible between all electric car models from all brands.

So the cable that came with your Volvo, and this other one that you ordered to go into the 14-50 outlet I'm sure are J1772 units.

My question now is what do I need now to charge both using the one nema 14-50 outlet? I do not thing it would be wise to always unplug each cable from the outlet to use two different charging cables for the two different vehicles. What is the best way to use the one outlet and what is needed please?
So now to answer your question: you don't need to get anything. Just use that cable that you already have. All Tesla cars come with a small snap-on adapter that can use the J1772 plug handle to fit the Tesla charge port. So either plug it directly into your Volvo, or use the adapter to plug it into your Tesla. Super simple.

Upvote 0
You are right I was vague since Volvo was vague in describing it. :rolleyes: Thanks for taking the time to research the Volvo Part number. We had to buy that cable to fit into the nema 14-50 outlet we already had. The cable Volvo supplied would not fit into it. We found one online for less than $500. Volvo wanted almost $700 for theirs and as you found they can cost $515.58 too. To quote you - "you don't need anything"- is best!! THANKS for you information and helping me learn about charging cables as I am new to this EV world.

Upvote 0
The cable Volvo supplied would not fit into it.
I will say that some of these car companies are getting better with the charging cables they include with their electric cars. For a long time, they all included these dinky, pathetic little cords that couldn't do anything more than plug into a regular 120V outlet for super slow charging, and it was up to people to fend for themselves trying to research and find a decent charging solution if they wanted something better than that.

Tesla's charging cord was brilliant at being able to handle really solid power, and with a lot of different swappable plug adapters to fit many kinds of outlets. It's wonderful. But it is a proprietary plug, so it's not well suited to use only that if you have both a Tesla and non-Tesla to charge. So the other direction is pretty good--use a J1772 plug and the Tesla adapter as needed.

Upvote 0