Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

? Charging two EVs at home (one Tesla, one non-Tesla)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the next year or so, I hope to own two EVs. One will be a Model 3, the other likely the Pacifica Hybrid. It is unclear what the Pacifica will come with regarding cables and adapters, so I am wondering about the following scenario:

If I install a NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage and attach my Tesla Mobile Connector with the J1772 adapter to it, can that be used to charge any EV with a port that accepts J1772? If that works, could I leave the Mobile connector plugged into the wall and just switch it between the two cars? If that doesn't work, what would you suggest to charge a Tesla and a non-Tesla? I understand that buying two Teslas is the best answer, but it is an answer that doesn't work for me right now :)

In the next year or so, I hope to own two EVs. One will be a Model 3, the other likely the Pacifica Hybrid. It is unclear what the Pacifica will come with regarding cables and adapters, so I am wondering about the following scenario:

If I install a NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage and attach my Tesla Mobile Connector with the J1772 adapter to it, can that be used to charge any EV with a port that accepts J1772? If that works, could I leave the Mobile connector plugged into the wall and just switch it between the two cars? If that doesn't work, what would you suggest to charge a Tesla and a non-Tesla? I understand that buying two Teslas is the best answer, but it is an answer that doesn't work for me right now :)

The Tesla J1772 adapter is to use a J1772 charger with a Tesla.

So, if you need a non Tesla car charged, best to buy a J1772 charger for the non Tesla EV... you can always use the adapter to charge a Tesla with it...

I just bought a Prius Prime (which my wife will take over once my Model 3 arrives). Currently the Prime can charge up just fine by plugging into a normal 120v outlet, but this will obviously not do for the Tesla. I really like the way the Tesla wall charger looks but given how we will be a two-plug family, it seems to make more sense to buy a normal J1772 charger with two cables and put the Tesla adapter on one of them.

Reactions: BagheeraNY
Here is my solution for the Leaf I have now and two Model 3s coming. I'm sure it's overkill, but I got the Tesla charger because I wanted as fast charging as possible for the Teslas, and will need the Leaf plugged in every night, sometimes maybe twice in a day (it will be my son's first car, and he'll be driving it to school every day).

My driveway is two cars wide, and I wanted to be able to have both reach to either side without the possibility of having to drive over the cables if two of the cars were plugged in. My panel is in the basement, about 30 feet to the left of the post in this picture. The post sits right between where we currently park our two cars.

lWiisc1.jpg

Reactions: BagheeraNY
Here is my solution for the Leaf I have now and two Model 3s coming. I'm sure it's overkill, but I got the Tesla charger because I wanted as fast charging as possible for the Teslas, and will need the Leaf plugged in every night, sometimes maybe twice in a day (it will be my son's first car, and he'll be driving it to school every day).

My driveway is two cars wide, and I wanted to be able to have both reach to either side without the possibility of having to drive over the cables if two of the cars were plugged in. My panel is in the basement, about 30 feet to the left of the post in this picture. The post sits right between where we currently park our two cars.

lWiisc1.jpg

Looks like a nice clean install! Great Job.