Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging using L6-30 receptacle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I'm looking to charge using the Gen 2 mobile connector at a L6-30 power supply during a trip. I'm thinking of getting the Tesla Gen2 14-30 adapter and a L6-30P to 14-30R (250v version):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C3NKCM6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2565OKC78981M&psc=1

It would also have the advantage that I could use the 14-30 adapter by itself if needed... Any comments? I think this should work am looking for feedback or alternatives. For example, I was also thinking of a direct adapter: L6-30P to UMC. A single unit and slightly cheaper:

L6-30 Adapter for Tesla Model S/X/3 Gen 2

After reading this thread, I decided to avoid getting the more common L6-30P to NEMA 14-50R, as I may forget to lower the charging amps (https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/help-identify-plug.37214/).
I'd end up charging overnight outside our hotel... anyone have any issue with theft? I hope not... I was wondering if there were security devices to deter the casual thief.

Thanks in advance for any help!

I had #2 worked fine used once lol ...I’m not a fan of adaptor to adaptor so that’s why I went with #2 ...I have a security device for the J1772 to Tesla ..worse case is someone steals ur adaptor ..the UMC is locked as long as ur vehicle is locked ..also have seen folks back over cord but never understood that :(

The direct Gen2 to L6-30 adapter is great and I'm glad they make them, but unless this location will be a repeated use site for you, you will be much more likely to use the 14-30 adapter in the future. I would buy the L6-30P to 14-30R adapter and 14-30 to Gen 2 Tesla adapter.

Another vote for the evseadapters route. I have their 20' 14-50 extension cord (which also lets you use other similar sockets, since no neutral, see their writeup on that). It's a lot more efficient/economical to have a bag with one extension cord (14-50) and then adapters for it. I have several of their weird adapters, including the campground ones (TT-30, etc.).

Heavy-duty NEMA 14-50R extension cord for Tesla, 20 ft.

NEMA 14-50 Adapters for EVs

If you have the Tesla adapters for the UMC, that's well and good until you need an extension cord for a certain adapter. Then you are screwed since you probably don't want to carry several 20+ foot long cords.

As for dialing down the amps. that's part of going places where you aren't using a Supercharger.

Or, if you really want to be automatic, be resigned to perhaps having to have extension cords for several different types of plugs, depending on where you go. I'd rather have one good cord, and adapters, and adjust the car. (But I'm an engineer... :D)

Last edited:
Hi all, one more question: is there a reason why someone can't make a universal 14-30, 14-50 receptacle? I spent a while searching around and couldn't find one.

It'd be great to have the extension cord that is universal on both ends. The R side would need a big "hole" so any neutral would fit. This way I could use the Tesla 14-30P and get the safe 24A charging when the other side supplies 30A. I was fine with setting the car limit to 24A until I read online that an OTA update could reset it to a higher current (probably rare, but scary).

I'd rather use this than chop off the neutral of a 14-30/50P. TIA.

I recommend a TT-30 adapter for campgrounds. This, along with your included 14-50 and 5-15 adapters are by far the most generic and readily available plugs.

NEMA 10-30 and 14-30 are the most common dryer outlet types, but not many houses I've seen allow you to get your car close enough to a dryer outlet to make use of it, unless the dryer is in the garage. Those are not all that common from my experience.

It'd be great to have the extension cord that is universal on both ends. The R side would need a big "hole" so any neutral would fit. This way I could use the Tesla 14-30P and get the safe 24A charging when the other side supplies 30A. I was fine with setting the car limit to 24A until I read online that an OTA update could reset it to a higher current (probably rare, but scary).

I'd rather use this than chop off the neutral of a 14-30/50P. TIA.
I don't know of any that would have that. But what is your objection to cutting the neutral pin off of your Tesla 14-30 plug? I just did that a couple weeks ago, so I can use it with my 30 foot 14-50 extension cord to use 30 amp circuits on the other end, like 10-30 or TT-30. That Neutral pin is really not connected to anything inside the adapter. And cutting it off is very easy with a hacksaw.

NEMA 10-30 and 14-30 are the most common dryer outlet types, but not many houses I've seen allow you to get your car close enough to a dryer outlet to make use of it, unless the dryer is in the garage. Those are not all that common from my experience.
With just the mobile connector, that's true, but given about an extra 20 to 40 foot extension, it's pretty easily done in most places. I have a 30 foot extension, and I used it where I couldn't even back the car all the way up the driveway. It had to go the rest of the way up the driveway, in the doggie door into the kitchen, then down the steps to the basement, then around the corner into the laundry room, and across the room to the dryer outlet.

@SSonnentag thanks, I'll probably get the TT-30 if I go somewhere that doesn't have a supercharger nearby.

@Rocky_H, no real objection, but was hoping someone had one pre-made. Good to hear it's easy to remove... need to dig up that hack saw (or dremel?). I'll likely cut it off when I get the extension cord that boaterva mentioned.

@Rocky_H, no real objection, but was hoping someone had one pre-made. Good to hear it's easy to remove... need to dig up that hack saw (or dremel?). I'll likely cut it off when I get the extension cord that boaterva mentioned.
Yeah, I have a Dremmel, and was originally planning to use that, but I realized that with the little screw that attaches the cutting disk onto it, I wouldn't be able to get the blade exactly flush with the plastic body of the adapter and would be coming at a little of an angle. The hacksaw blade would be totally flat against it, so it obviously took longer, but was exactly how I wanted it with no need to try to grind or fix it up after I did the main cut, but that still wouldn't be hard.

If you want the 14-30 plug to go into a 14-50 socket, you only need to cut off the angled portion of the 14-30 neutral pin. I would leave the straight part intact.
Yes, that is definitely true, and I've heard of some people doing that. The potential reason I guess is to have more stability in the outlet if you do have four pins sticking in holding it, but those 14-xx outlet types are so big and the pin sockets to deep that I've never seen any that need any help holding the plug solidly, so it didn't seem useful for my pin removal.

@alt7070,

I wanted to carry one good extension cord, and use with multiple outlet types. I also did not want anything that could be misused by someone else in my absence (or if I had a senior moment LOL).

I ended up buying a J-dapter Stub from Quick Charge Power. They made a 60' long version at my request. It is good for up to 40 Amp charging, and the cable is the same lightweight flexible cable used for Tesla's gen1 40 Amp UMC.

I can plug my UMC directly into most outlet types with Tesla's adapters, and the entire cable run downstream is protected by the UMC's ground fault circuit.

GSP

PS. I highly recommend asking permission to use the hotel's outlet, and offering to pay a reasonable amount, like $10, to charge overnight.