Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging west of Sequoia parks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I'd like to take the following trip segment (EV Trip Planner) but the driving time is pretty long. So I was thinking of stopping in Visalia/Tulare/Porterville area. Have any owners here stayed at a airbnb or reasonably priced hotel that has EV charging? I do not see any destination chargers. The lodge is pricey. There are some commercial level 2 chargers but that would necessitate charging for an extra hour or two to make up for the sideroute, such as if I decided to stay in Visalia. Also I contacted a few airbnb places around the area inquiring and they say there is an outlet, it probably would work, but nobody has ever tried. My alternative plan is do this drive, which is 8-9 hours long, with minimal distractions, charge up and stay near Inyokern, then the next day drive back that route and do stuff. Anyway, I am looking to see if anyone has traveled this route and to find out what they did. Thanks.

I understand there is a Tesla Wall Charger available for customers at a restaurant (La Piazza) in Tulare and someone posted about the Three Rivers option above, but that’s the best I’m aware of in the area. Outside of Tesla chargers, downtown Visalia has a few ChargePoint and EVgo options in public parking areas.

I grew up here and haven’t been confident taking the S to visit my family as a result of the lack of charge-ability. Highway 99 needs some supercharger support!

I spent the weekend there and stayed at an Airbnb in three river that let me use the 120v outlet. Hence, I did not need to use the destination charger at The Gateway Restaurant and Lodge. I drove several times in front of it and the charger was most of the time not in use. For your information you will need about 25% of range (model 3 performance) to go from Three Rivers to Lodgepole. You will however regen about 8% on the way down.

I am planning to take a day trip from LA to Sequoia/Kings Canyon national park for just the day and back. I checked and the only Tesla destination charger is at Gateway restaurant and lodge. Per Tesla navigation, I can probably top it off to 90/95% at Tejon Ranch and get to Three River with about 65% left. Just worry that I might not have enough juice to cruise around the canyon and back to the nearest SC. Tesla’s website said there is a supercharger coming in 2020 in Visalia. Would make things so much easier once it is up and running. I am leaning toward just taking the Honda Pilot instead of our LR Tesla.

I am planning to take a day trip from LA to Sequoia/Kings Canyon national park for just the day and back. I checked and the only Tesla destination charger is at Gateway restaurant and lodge. Per Tesla navigation, I can probably top it off to 90/95% at Tejon Ranch and get to Three River with about 65% left. Just worry that I might not have enough juice to cruise around the canyon and back to the nearest SC. Tesla’s website said there is a supercharger coming in 2020 in Visalia. Would make things so much easier once it is up and running. I am leaning toward just taking the Honda Pilot instead of our LR Tesla.

Can you charge overnight at Three River? If not the Gateway charger was lightly used last time I went there. I did not have to use it because I was able to charge on a 110v outlet overnight.

Can you charge overnight at Three River? If not the Gateway charger was lightly used last time I went there. I did not have to use it because I was able to charge on a 110v outlet overnight.
If we were staying overnight, it wouldn’t be a problem. It will just be a day trip back and forth. Hopefully once the Visalia SC is up and running, this day trip will be more doable.

If we were staying overnight, it wouldn’t be a problem. It will just be a day trip back and forth. Hopefully once the Visalia SC is up and running, this day trip will be more doable.

Currently, you might want to charge up at the closest Supercharger in Fresno, 100 miles away, or Harris Ranch, 105 miles away.

If you can wait a little bit longer, Traver which is about 68 miles away looks pretty much done except for inspection.

We just charged to 200miles at the Fresno supercharger then drove via 180 to grants grove then down to Visalia Marriott. You Gain 8-9 miles going down.

The Marriott only has a 120 in the trash loading dock area (not travel charger as 1 site listed). Instead stay at Holiday inn if staying in Visalia. 2 great L2 chargers. 12mi/hr.

best is the supercharger mentioned above at Harris ranch (amazing fresh food at the restaurant).

extremely Smokey from the fires all around here atm though.

Thanks for the replies! Might just postpone the trip with all the fires everywhere.

we don’t plan to stay overnight, so the closest superchargers might be Bakersfield or Tejon Ranch for us coming from LA. Normally if we can dine in and eat, we would be ok eating at one of the destination chargers.