Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging while camping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to beat a dead horse. But can someone confirm what I'm understanding from the thread - that a random adapters won't work with mobile connector. I'll be visiting a relative who has this adapter - but I'm not sure sure if it will work. Or do I need one of the ones above that specifically says EV... ?
Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 2.14.59 AM.png

Just to hit the horse again, one labeled for RVs will not work.

The RV version is putting 120v on both hots of the 14-50. An RV effectively has two isolated 120v circuits and doesn't actually use 240v, so this works fine, albeit with less total power available.

The EV version is putting the 120v between the two hots.

Sorry to beat a dead horse. But can someone confirm what I'm understanding from the thread - that a random adapters won't work with mobile connector. I'll be visiting a relative who has this adapter - but I'm not sure sure if it will work. Or do I need one of the ones above that specifically says EV... ?
View attachment 805335
@CapsEngineer is correct, you have to use an adapter wired for EV charging use. The reason is that internally RVs have a 240V split phase electrical panel to power an air conditioner. But that adapter plugs into a 120v TT-30 receptacle. As a hack, the adapter will provide the same 120V phase to each of the 240V split phase side of the RV’s electrical panel. This will power all 120V appliances, but not the air conditioner, which is fine as a hack. But it does it by providing the same 120V phase to each of the 240V split phases. So if you were to read the voltage from the NEMA 14-50 receptacle part of the adapter‘s two hot pins, it would read zero volts (same 120V given to both hots).

So the special EV versions only route the 120V input phase to one of the 14-50’s hots.

Why would this damage anything? Half of the panel wouldn't get power, but that wouldn't cause any damage. I'd be the same as turning off every breaker on that leg in the RV panel.
Your correct. I wasn’t thinking.
Not quite. The 240v air conditioner would see 120V which wouldn’t do it any good.

RVs don’t have any 240v appliances. They just use the 14-50 as a way to get more more power into them easily.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and MY-Y
RVs don’t have any 240v appliances. They just use the 14-50 as a way to get more more power into them easily.
Yes, this. I've talked with some people who use RV's frequently. It's a little odd how many people in the EV community are using the 240V connection in a 14-50 type of outlet, when the actual RV's that those plugs are generally meant for do not use the 240V connection across the two hot lines at all. They are only using the 120V connections for everything, but they have to spread the appliances out somewhat evenly across those two circuits, so they don't overload something.

But concurring with the previous answers, those camping adapters are just taking the one hot line and putting it on both sides (Hot1 and Hot2) of the 14-50 side of the adapter. An EV is trying to look at those pins for a voltage difference, and it's the same thing on both sides, so 0V and nothing happens.