TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Charging while flying from Pittsburg Airport

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by AoneOne, Jan 25, 2014.

1. AoneOne

AoneOne Member

Do any of the parking services serving PIT offer charging? I haven't found anything relevant on the web.

2. AoneOne

AoneOne Member

Calling around, "Charlie Brown's" parking (yes, that's the name) said they can keep it plugged in. Has anyone tried them?

3. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

I have used Charlie Browns for my ICE, they are very good. They typically valet the car for you...so you might want to work that out ahead of time, so you can park in the spot with a plug yourself.

4. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

I take it you live in Pittsburgh. Do you know hotels that have charging? I would like to drive my Roadster there and I have not hit on a hotel in the South Hills area that has charging.

5. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

I don't know if any offhand, but I am never looking for them in my home city. Recargo doesn't show any hotels, but there are J1772s around at grocery stores, Nissan dealerships, Eaton in Cranberry, and the Convention center downtown.

6. paulkva

paulkva Member

My experience has been it's extremely rare (so far) to find hotels that advertise themselves as EV-friendly (on Plugshare/Recargo or otherwise). The times I've taken road trips with uncertain destination charging options, I've called around to a few hotels to ask if any would let me plug in. I haven't yet found one in Pittsburgh, but I used the Electric Garage on Carnegie Mellon's campus because that was my daytime destination. That's not terribly convenient to South Hills, but it's a great option (8 charging stations) if you don't find anything closer.

I did find two hotels in NJ with 110V outdoor outlets and EV-friendly policies -- a Holiday Inn in Cherry Hill (one somewhat inconvenient outlet that I ended up not using), and a Hyatt House in Branchburg (4 pretty convenient outlets, 3 of which worked). Neither one is on Plugshare/Recargo yet, although I've encouraged both to register themselves.

7. henry3e

henry3e New Member

A little late. Bakery Square in East Liberty with Spring hill suites has free chargers available.

8. brantse

brantse Member

I know I'm resurrecting this thread from the dead, but wondered if anyone has any news on the subject. I see that the airport now has some level 1 charging spots in the short term lot, but wondered if anyone has found any good solutions for longer term parking?

9. brantse

brantse Member

Update --- I flew out of PIT earlier this week and used Globe Parking. They were able to keep me plugged into a 120V outlet for the duration of my short trip. I suppose they may have rotated other EV's in and unplugged me, if needed, but that wasn't an issue. There was no additional charge for this, and the pricing was on par with PIT's extended parking lot.