Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging While Towing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm really considering an Electric truck for my next work vehicle, but I always revert back to ICE is more coinvent for now.

What do you do for work, if I may ask?

Most of the "work" trucks I see around me are really just vehicles for driving to/from job sites. They're not actually doing anything that requires a truck, but social norms dictate that a man who does work involving physical labor in Arkansas must own a truck.

But there are also plenty of trucks around that I see with the bed full of tools and supplies, and many that are even towing trailers. But I don't think any of them are driving far enough in a day that an EV wouldn't get the job done. I think the F-150 Lightning might turn out to be an amazing thing. Electricians, plumbers, painters, carpenters, lawn maintenance, roofers, road side mechanics ... I doubt any of them drive more than 100 miles in a day, and they could easily do that towing a trailer.

Really what I'd like to see is electric work vans. There are now a few options but they've started them with small batteries and rather paltry range. I think they need to double the battery size at a minimum, even if it raises the price to an eye watering price. At least it would be an option.

I found a highly detailed and accurately scaled drawing that I made six years ago!

d5oPimf.png

You can clearly see how well this would work. :rolleyes: The large red monolith I think was supposed to be a Model X. The black monolith is a trailer. The small red things are Supercharger stands. The black parallel lines are parking spaces. So there would need to be a way to pull around behind them, which obviously does not exist at the VAST majority of existing Supercharger locations.

However!

The Brinkley, Arkansas, site DOES have this as an option.

695561.jpeg

Unfortunately I think you might have to hop the curb to get close enough because the cables are so short. I haven't measured the concrete. Maybe I'll drive out there next week and see if it will reach my Model Y from the back - "reach around" style.

There is also often a single stall that is oriented to pull straight in. But that leaves the trailer hanging out in the drive area, and requires the driver to be reasonably good at backing up with a trailer. I myself am a master trailer reverser (don't ask me to prove it), but I understand others are less inclined.

What do you do for work, if I may ask?

Most of the "work" trucks I see around me are really just vehicles for driving to/from job sites. They're not actually doing anything that requires a truck, but social norms dictate that a man who does work involving physical labor in Arkansas must own a truck.

But there are also plenty of trucks around that I see with the bed full of tools and supplies, and many that are even towing trailers. But I don't think any of them are driving far enough in a day that an EV wouldn't get the job done. I think the F-150 Lightning might turn out to be an amazing thing. Electricians, plumbers, painters, carpenters, lawn maintenance, roofers, road side mechanics ... I doubt any of them drive more than 100 miles in a day, and they could easily do that towing a trailer.

Really what I'd like to see is electric work vans. There are now a few options but they've started them with small batteries and rather paltry range. I think they need to double the battery size at a minimum, even if it raises the price to an eye watering price. At least it would be an option.
I'm transitioning back to being a general contractor from Doing industrial sales. I'm really leaning toward the f150 Lightning. In the past I had a 24' travel trailer we took out every other weekend all over California, My crew cab 1500 SILVERADO was great for it. I don't know much often i will tow now, but i still like the ability to if i needed it. Just seems EV trucks and vans & their charging infrastructure aren't quite there yet.

Last edited:
I found a highly detailed and accurately scaled drawing that I made six years ago!

View attachment 793309

You can clearly see how well this would work. :rolleyes: The large red monolith I think was supposed to be a Model X. The black monolith is a trailer. The small red things are Supercharger stands. The black parallel lines are parking spaces. So there would need to be a way to pull around behind them, which obviously does not exist at the VAST majority of existing Supercharger locations.

However!

The Brinkley, Arkansas, site DOES have this as an option.

View attachment 793313

Unfortunately I think you might have to hop the curb to get close enough because the cables are so short. I haven't measured the concrete. Maybe I'll drive out there next week and see if it will reach my Model Y from the back - "reach around" style.
What if all the stalls were occupied?

a bunch locations in our area have 1 pull through out of 8 ( usually the ones off the interstates where some one might be towing something I think) instead of the the standard back in . but you sort of have to know what is at the location the charge map doesn't say . some have been documented on the plug share ap but not all and non Tesla super charger high speed locations are in the same boat assume all back in and others are drive through ( ive used them when I wasn't near a super charger in the early days ) . so it is hit or miss , but help out other folks as you go and update the plug share ap if you find some. good luck !

Have you visited any supercharger locations that are arranged such that you don't have to unhook?
Yes. I can think of three in California where that is possible; Petaluma (lots of pull through stalls so you take two stalls which I only do if it isn’t busy), Salinas and Kettleman City where it is possible to position the car/trailer in a lane without blocking traffic and use one particular Supercharger pedestal if it happens to be available.

Basically, it’s rare to be able to charge without unhitching. Just accept it, learn to quickly unhitch/hitch, and don’t worry about it. It’s not a big deal.

• Informative
Reactions: LoudMusic
That doesn't prevent a non-trailer vehicle from using it. And what if there is another trailer vehicle already there?
Exactly. There is no way to enforce a “towing only” charging stall and it’s not reasonable to expect a non-tower to not use that stall if it’s available and the other stalls are in use.

The solution to charging when towing is to learn to quickly unhitch/hitch, and don’t worry about it. It’s not a big deal.

Reactions: LoudMusic
This one in Leominster, ma is to the side. But you have to park in the roadway. With a lot more people charging, they will need more. The one in tyngsboro, ma that will come online soon has a similar set up. Also, parking alongside the back of the chargers, if they have parking spaces in the back works well.

Attachments

• C0479DF2-5E70-4AE9-AA69-A5C660D2AA0C.jpeg
    C0479DF2-5E70-4AE9-AA69-A5C660D2AA0C.jpeg
    745.8 KB · Views: 63