Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging with 220V 13A socket in Hong Kong

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The dual chargers made the most sense to me for four reasons:
1. The probability we will have to pay for parking while charging is very high. So the less time spent charging means a lower parking charge. My better half is exceptional at getting free parking at shopping malls as she solves the amount of money we need to spend versus the stores and time required to achieve the free parking validation. So the longer we stay to charge the more we buy to get free parking validation.:biggrin:
Generally speaking, less time spent charging is more time to do something that is a better use of my (our) time.

Just a note on your rationale number 1: the dual chargers only save you time if your charge point is more than 40A. If it's less than that, there is no difference in charging time between a single charger or a dual charger.

Just a note on your rationale number 1: the dual chargers only save you time if your charge point is more than 40A. If it's less than that, there is no difference in charging time between a single charger or a dual charger.
Minor technical correction: Single Charger limit on EU & HK vehicles is 16A three phase, which should be at least 40A and possibly as much as 48A single phase. Tesla has only recently enabled high current single phase charging from public stations, so this is has not been definitively shown yet, AFAIK. So, you would have to have a charging station set up to deliver more than that to charge the car faster with Dual Chargers.

Tesla reply to my inquiry of the 13A charging support of MS for your information:

Hi River,

My apologies for the delay in my response, I have been traveling internationally for some time and had limited access to e-mail. In regards to your question, we will have a BS1363 Charging solution available later this year.

After recent testing, we have decided that a wall connector (capable of charging up to 40amps) provides the best end-user experience as opposed to supporting these 13amps outlets.

This more recent strategic change is based on some mixed long term test results we received on the BS1363 outlets. Our testing has shown that the BS1363 outlets are not robust enough to handle the continued stress that high volume electric vehicles will subject it to, even if configured to 10A. The outlets are home outlets essentially designed for lamps and desktop computers: they were never conceived or designed to handle an electric vehicle’s unique needs. We want to assure you we are continually looking for solutions to provide the safest most reliable public charging and are actively working with HK Electric and CLP to achieve this goal. While we do not condone using a mobile connector as a primary charging solution, we are currently validating a connector to allow the Model S to charge from these outlets on a secondary basis. Once we can confirm that this connector is safe and reliable over the long term, we will make it available as an accessory.

Superchargers will help enable a wider network of public charging, as well as the many Type II chargers(IEC62196) that are planned. IEC62196 is the new standard of electric vehicle charging in Hong Kong and the major utilities are currently migrating to this standard. Instead of supporting an outdated standard, we have been working directly with the utilities to help them roll out this new wave of public charging. These IEC62196 chargers will be able to charge at 4-5x the speed of traditional 13a sockets and have proven themselves to be safe and reliable over the long term. Currently, the Hong Kong government is pursuing the installation of 100 of these IEC62196 by the end of the year and be fully compatible with Model S.

Additionally, we expect two superchargers to be operational by the end of the Summer which will be a great additional charging resource. I am currently out of country, but your best resource to help you devise a charging strategy would be Kenneth, our Sales manager. Please call us at 852.3184.0555, and we will be able to advise as well as discuss next steps moving forward.

Best....

Tesla reply to my inquiry of the 13A charging support of MS for your information

That is what I have been hearing for some time, but very good to see it written down so clearly. IMHO, that is the basis of a good strategy for Tesla in Hong Kong. 40A Wall Connectors as the primary method, then BS1363 / IEC62196 Type 2 / SuperCharging as the secondary.

I am going to cross-post what you wrote here:
Hong Kong Tesla Model S Charging Standard
as this is very relevant to both 13A and other charging standards for Hong Kong.

The 13A charging problem resurrected again:

Dear Derek,

Thanks for the detailed information.

I understand that charging at home BS1363[FONT=arial, sans-serif] outlet is not safe, but I will probably charge at public
BS1363 EV charging station. I will definitely switch to IEC62196 when it is available. [/FONT]​
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]"[/FONT]we will have a BS1363 Charging solution available later this year."

[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Yet, my MS delivery schedule is late July, a solution to charge at public
BS1363 EV charging station is what I immediately need once I get my MS.[/FONT]​
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]​
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]I did call HK Tesla, and the staff said that Tesla can offer me a BS1363 cable at $3000, and It shall be safe to charge my MS with this cable at public EV charge station. I am not sure if this is the BS1363 solution you mentioned.
[/FONT]​
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]​
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]I think more than half of the HK MS buyers will need to rely on public BS1363 outlet initially before IEC62196 and superchargers are available. Actively inform them of any related information and solution is necessary.
[/FONT]​
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]​
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Anyway, I will contact Kenneth for further information.
[/FONT]​
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]​
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Finally, it is nice know that there will be superchargers in HK!
[/FONT]​
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]​
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Regards,
[/FONT]​
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]River
[/FONT]​

Hi River,

Thank you for your reply. I understand your concerns, and we are working hard to improve the infrastructure across Hong Kong. We hope to make more charging solutions available soon. As a sidenote, do you remember who you spoke to in reference to having a BS1363 cable sold for $3000? To my knowledge we have no such mobile connector available, and my timeline for such a product has been set as sometime in late 2014. I want to ensure our staff is distributing the correct information across the board.

Best Regards,....

Hi River,

Thank you for your reply. I understand your concerns, and we are working hard to improve the infrastructure across Hong Kong. We hope to make more charging solutions available soon. As a sidenote, do you remember who you spoke to in reference to having a BS1363 cable sold for $3000? To my knowledge we have no such mobile connector available, and my timeline for such a product has been set as sometime in late 2014. I want to ensure our staff is distributing the correct information across the board.

Best Regards,....

It is very clear that at launch we have been told that Tesla will not be providing such an adaptor (and they have been saying that for several months now). There are adaptors available from other suppliers (Mennekes, BMW, etc), and Tesla may offer one of these at some later point in time.

Given what has been said over the past few months, I highly doubt that Tesla will offer this until they have thoroughly tested (long-term) the adaptor.

I think that if people want a BS1363 mobile connector at launch, it would be best to get an owner in Europe to test and confirm one that works there, and then organise a group buy.

Received following info about the Mennekes connector from their HK agent Supermoon Ltd. by email today:

Model Reference: 35078
The price is HKD 6,588.00
Delivery: CIF, HK
Lead Time: 8 weeks after receipt your confirmation/ order.
Payment: 50% deposit and 50%

Received following info about the Mennekes connector from their HK agent Supermoon Ltd. by email today:

Model Reference: 35078
The price is HKD 6,588.00
Delivery: CIF, HK
Lead Time: 8 weeks after receipt your confirmation/ order.
Payment: 50% deposit and 50%
You might also inquire about a "group buy" volume price for 50 to 100 pieces. Anyway, I had a feeling that Mennekes unit would have a premium price on it. There is another unit available in UK which looks a little more basic but it does have adjustable current control on the unit for 6A/8A/10A/13A/16A and it has "automatic reduction of charging current at over-temperature".

Portable Mode 2 16a 62196-2 EVSE with 13A Domestic Plug

The web site price is GBP 395 which is approx HKD 5,150. Of course, you would have to pay shipping and import to Hong Kong, but as a group buy at a volume discounted price it will probably still be a non-trivial savings compared to the Mennekes unit.

It is very clear that at launch we have been told that Tesla will not be providing such an adaptor (and they have been saying that for several months now). There are adaptors available from other suppliers (Mennekes, BMW, etc), and Tesla may offer one of these at some later point in time.

Given what has been said over the past few months, I highly doubt that Tesla will offer this until they have thoroughly tested (long-term) the adaptor.

I think that if people want a BS1363 mobile connector at launch, it would be best to get an owner in Europe to test and confirm one that works there, and then organise a group buy.

I had been told in the test drive that they would provide a 13A connector, and I only knew this have been changed for a few months after I joint this forum last week. Shouldn't I be informed officially of this change by Tesla instead?

Yet, I am not complaining for that, I just try to solve it and drive my MS.

Kenneth just called me back, said they would recommend and offer a safe BS1363 cable with thermo sensor, the price should be around $3700. I am happy (again) now and hope it is true.

I had been told in the test drive that they would provide a 13A connector, and I only knew this have been changed for a few months after I joint this forum last week. Shouldn't I be informed officially of this change by Tesla instead?

Yet, I am not complaining for that, I just try to solve it and drive my MS.

Kenneth just called me back, said they would recommend and offer a safe BS1363 cable with thermo sensor, the price should be around $3700. I am happy (again) now and hope it is true.

3700 is a very fair price, while close to 7000 seems a bit stiff!

You might also inquire about a "group buy" volume price for 50 to 100 pieces. Anyway, I had a feeling that Mennekes unit would have a premium price on it. There is another unit available in UK which looks a little more basic but it does have adjustable current control on the unit for 6A/8A/10A/13A/16A and it has "automatic reduction of charging current at over-temperature".

Portable Mode 2 16a 62196-2 EVSE with 13A Domestic Plug

The web site price is GBP 395 which is approx HKD 5,150. Of course, you would have to pay shipping and import to Hong Kong, but as a group buy at a volume discounted price it will probably still be a non-trivial savings compared to the Mennekes unit.

Before I heard Tesla hk will sell a 13A cable, I emailed EV Connector and they quoted me 375 GBP each and 120 GBP shipping if we buy 10 cables (387 GBP each shipped) . If order 1, 395 GBP plus 65 GBP shipping. I think I will wait for the Tesla HK cable.

Tesla Motors HK website has been updated.

Model S Design Studio | Tesla Motors

Regarding 13A, the situation is still that at launch, no BS 1363 mobile connector will be available from Tesla (although there are several third party units in the market). But, Tesla have now written:

An optional mobile connector compatible with UK electrical outlets is under development and will be available in late 2014. The mobile connector is not recommended as a primary charging solution due to variations in the quality and reliability of UK type 1363 outlets. For the best charging experience, please use the Tesla wall connector that comes standard with your Model S.