Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging with 240v 50amp Standard Range +

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I own a 2020 Model 3 Standard Range + RWD - I was told by the Electrician that since my car is a standard range + RWD it will only draw 32 amps so he recommended a 240v 50 AMP outlet instead of the Tesla Wall Charger. Can you confirm?

Electrician is correct; '20 SR+ will only pull 32A max. The actual charger is in the car, not in the Wall Connector; wall connector is basically a fancy smart switch.

Whether to get a Wall Connector or an outlet boils down to your personal preference/considerations. Considerations may include...

Reasons to get a Wall Connector:
  • Future proofing
    • Increased capacity for a future Tesla; Model 3 LR/Performance, S, Y, etc.
    • Outlet is limited to 50A (40A charging rate); Gen 3 Wall Connector is limited to 60A (48A charging rate)

Reasons to get an outlet:
  • Option to use the outlet for other devices
    • Example: welder, non-Tesla charger
  • Option to use another mobile connector (if available) when one goes down

Reactions: Red Ryder 3
Upvote 0
The answer is without a doubt, unequivocally a Tesla Wall Connector.

The 14-30/50 outlets are for people who have a hookup in their garage already as it then becomes cost effective. A lot of people who had Tesla's from the beginning opted for a 14-50 outlet bc the Tesla Wall Connector was ~$1,500 at the time and it made more sense due to the cost. Additionally, the older cars could also charge at 40 amps via a 14-50 outlet instead of the lower 32 amps on today's cars.

If you went the 14-50 route you would need an industrial grade, high quality (Hubbell) 14-50 outlet which is $100 plus the $45 adapter and now your mobile connector is in use and can't be kept in your car for road trips. You also may need an expensive GFCI breaker per NEC code depending on your state. There are also a lot of reports on here of issues over the long term with 14-50 outlets (using poor quality outlets, poor electrical work, causing fire, etc). There’s a master thread on it somewhere.

If you wanted a cheaper 240v option, get a NEMA 6-20 adapter ($35) and a Hubbell 6-20 outlet ($25). Charge is about 15-16 mph but that is adequate for most. However, your mobile connector is now in use as before with the 14-50 option.

But again, the answer is the Tesla Wall Connector as in the end it is the safest (hard wired), easiest (no new adapters, plugs, or GFCI breaker needed), most hassle free option (mobile connector stays in trunk) and the cost difference is negligible. I see no reason for anyone to pay to have a new 14-50 outlet installed these days (already having one in the garage is a different story). The Tesla Wall Connector also has a 4 year warranty.

Just my 2 cents

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Electrician is correct; '20 SR+ will only pull 32A max. The actual charger is in the car, not in the Wall Connector; wall connector is basically a fancy smart switch.

Whether to get a Wall Connector or an outlet boils down to your personal preference/considerations. Considerations may include...

Reasons to get a Wall Connector:
  • Future proofing
    • Increased capacity for a future Tesla; Model 3 LR/Performance, S, Y, etc.
    • Outlet is limited to 50A (40A charging rate); Gen 3 Wall Connector is limited to 60A (48A charging rate)

Reasons to get an outlet:
  • Option to use the outlet for other devices
    • Example: welder, non-Tesla charger
  • Option to use another mobile connector (if available) when one goes down
Awesome, thanks.

Upvote 0
The answer is without a doubt, unequivocally a Tesla Wall Connector.

The 14-30/50 outlets are for people who have a hookup in their garage already as it then becomes cost effective. A lot of people who had Tesla's from the beginning opted for a 14-50 outlet bc the Tesla Wall Connector was ~$1,500 at the time and it made more sense due to the cost. Additionally, the older cars could also charge at 40 amps via a 14-50 outlet instead of the lower 32 amps on today's cars.

If you went the 14-50 route you would need an industrial grade, high quality (Hubbell) 14-50 outlet which is $100 plus the $45 adapter and now your mobile connector is in use and can't be kept in your car for road trips. You also may need an expensive GFCI breaker per NEC code depending on your state. There are also a lot of reports on here of issues over the long term with 14-50 outlets (using poor quality outlets, poor electrical work, causing fire, etc). There’s a master thread on it somewhere.

If you wanted a cheaper 240v option, get a NEMA 6-20 adapter ($35) and a Hubbell 6-20 outlet ($25). Charge is about 15-16 mph but that is adequate for most. However, your mobile connector is now in use as before with the 14-50 option.

But again, the answer is the Tesla Wall Connector as in the end it is the safest (hard wired), easiest (no new adapters, plugs, or GFCI breaker needed), most hassle free option (mobile connector stays in trunk) and the cost difference is negligible. I see no reason for anyone to pay to have a new 14-50 outlet installed these days (already having one in the garage is a different story). The Tesla Wall Connector also has a 4 year warranty.

Just my 2 cents
Thanks, Appreciate the response.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
Upvote 0
There is a 3rd option: Get the 14-50 outlet and a 3rd-party charger like the ChargePoint HomeFlex. That way you can have 40A charging if you get a car that can accept it, and you also have an outlet available for a compressor, welder, etc if you need one. You may even get a rebate from your utility for the charger (I got $500 back from mine).

Upvote 0

Questions to ask:
  • Do you want the higher charge rate or features of the wall connector, versus the mobile connector included with the car?
  • Do you want to keep the included-with-the-car mobile connector in the car all the time, or put it there for frequent road trips? (Unplugging and plugging frequently is not recommended.)
  • Do you not expect to ever charge a J1772 EV from that setup (or are willing to use a third party J1772 adapter with a Tesla EVSE)?
  • Do you not already have a suitable outlet?
The more of the above that you answer "yes" to, the more favorable the wall connector is. But the more of the above that you answer "no" to, the more favorable using the included mobile connector (with the appropriate plug adapter) is.

Upvote 0