Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging with 6-20 adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my Model 3. I installed a 6-20 outlet at my condo parking spot. After waiting 2 weeks for the delivery of the 6-20 adapter I plugged in and … it looked good for 2 minutes and then the dreaded message - Stopped Charging. The electrician says the outlet is OK. The car is OK - have been using superchargers for the 2 weeks. And the cable is OK - tested the 110v adapter that came with the car. Anybody else having problems with 6-20?

Does it always go 2 min before stopping?

Try -
- plugged in, sitting in the car, with the car not charging
- start charging with the button
- watch the voltage as the current ramps up

What is the voltage? Does it change as the car starts charging? What is the voltage right before it stops?

you might either have a house ground problem or there is a voltage drop on the circuit.

you could also try lowering the current using the control on the screen. Set it as low as it goes and see if it keeps charging.

Brkaus - suggestions appreciated. Unfortunately, the car is getting a wrap so I can't try out your idea until the weekend. I'll post and let you know. Also, how do you check if the adapter is faulty? Just got it from Tesla. I know the 110v is good - tested that one - so the rest of the cable is also good.

I've used a 6-20 for charging for the last 10 months/10,000 miles with only a few problems. Several weeks ago there was a heat wave with high temps in the evening and thunderstorms. For several days the charging would run for a while and then shut off. Once it restarted by itself, another time it stayed off all night. I did detect low voltages - usually it stays around 245-250 but it was dropping down to about 235 before shutting down so my guess at the time was brownouts caused by neighborhood overloads. The weather passed in a few days and I haven't had a problem since.

I've seen on videos that there is a way to manually lower the amps the car can draw. Maybe try lowering that and see if it works. If it does slowly raise it back up one amp at a time until it stops. Maybe your power is a little unstable and can't maintain the max amps that the 6-20 normally draws.

Reactions: SammichLover
I had a similar problem with the UMC on my new 3. Does it make a lot of clicking sounds?
Now fine after mobile UMC replacement

BTW I'm thinking of getting this 6-20 installed thru amazon for $100? (not sure if they'll do breaker at that price) https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-107-...=1570934306&sprefix=6-20+,aps,283&sr=8-3&th=1

I would just look for an electrician on yellow pages or even yelp. Amazon is always the lowest bidding contractor in my experience, and they're taking a cut of the service on top of it.

Is there any reason you are only doing a 20 amp circuit? Is your house wiring not up for 30 amps?

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
Just got my Model 3. I installed a 6-20 outlet at my condo parking spot. After waiting 2 weeks for the delivery of the 6-20 adapter I plugged in and … it looked good for 2 minutes and then the dreaded message - Stopped Charging. The electrician says the outlet is OK. The car is OK - have been using superchargers for the 2 weeks. And the cable is OK - tested the 110v adapter that came with the car. Anybody else having problems with 6-20?

Interesting. I charged for 13 months on a 6-20 circuit, and then around the time you had the issue, mine also stopped working. Tesla says it's the adapter, but this makes me wonder if there's something else going on. Hmmm.

I had a similar problem with the UMC on my new 3. Does it make a lot of clicking sounds?
Now fine after mobile UMC replacement

BTW I'm thinking of getting this 6-20 installed thru amazon for $100? (not sure if they'll do breaker at that price) https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-107-...=1570934306&sprefix=6-20+,aps,283&sr=8-3&th=1
I’d guess they would add the wire, boxes, plates, breaker, etc on top.

Id just call around. Ask for 14-50, 6-50,6-30,6-20 and pick the price that fits your needs. Of course, depending on your typical daily mileage.

I’d guess they would add the wire, boxes, plates, breaker, etc on top.

Id just call around. Ask for 14-50, 6-50,6-30,6-20 and pick the price that fits your needs. Of course, depending on your typical daily mileage.

I will, but the advantage of 6-20 is I already have a dedicated 5-20 that I can replace without any wiring change required just the breakers per another thread.

15 mi/hr X8 is plenty for an overnight for me

Reactions: brkaus
When on 6-20, most of my charges look something like this:

upload_2019-10-13_11-6-24.png

The last two charges here show the difference between the 110 and 220V circuit at the same amperage - the extra voltage goes a long way:

upload_2019-10-13_11-8-46.png