Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging with a 3 prong dryer outlet?

acdavis123

Apr 19, 2021
Bay Area
Can anyone tell me what kind of adapter and extension cord I would need to use this spare dryer outlet to charge a LR MY? Thanks!!

058A596B-8FDD-43F1-8978-D3484BB00FDC.jpeg

FlatSix911

Porsche 918 Hybrid
Jun 15, 2015
Silicon Valley
Last edited:

Jeff N

Oct 31, 2011
This is probably what you need. This adapter plugs into your 10-50 outlet and converts it into a “14-50” outlet which can be used with a Tesla or other EVSE that can plug into a 14-50.

This conversion adapter should only be used for this purpose since it does not really provide a separate neutral as well as ground. Use it for car charging only.

Sophias_dad

Supporting Member
Jul 29, 2018
Massachusetts
Else you can overload wires, with fire risk.
In theory if the installer of the wires was doing their job correctly, there should be no fire risk. The breaker >should< be limited by the wire size and if you draw enough current to make the wires hazardous, the breaker should trip.

Even checking the breaker is not a guarantee there isn't a fire risk. 'Professionals' might have a bad day, a homeowner could have done the install themselves and put a 50 amp breaker where a 30 amp belongs, and so on.

Were it my home I'd check the wire gauge as well, and verify the termination points of the wiring is good and tight. This goes extra-double for if OP is going to use any form of extension cord or adapter on the outlet end because the UMC monitors the plug temperature, but if its a foot(or 25') away from the outlet, that measurement will not work at all.

letswinit

Mar 18, 2021
san jose
Have a 30 amp dryer at my vacation home. Dropped amp in the vehicle to 24 amps and plugged it in. Charged at 21 mi/hr. Worked perfectly and since I am not always there, this will be sufficient.

Reactions: Brovane

Rocky_H

Feb 19, 2015
Boise, ID
Have a 30 amp dryer at my vacation home. Dropped amp in the vehicle to 24 amps and plugged it in. Charged at 21 mi/hr. Worked perfectly
I'm not sure if you know this yet, but as long as you are just using the regular Tesla equipment, with one of their adapters for that dryer outlet attached to the mobile charging cable, you do not need to manually adjust current. The adapters have a chip in them that signals the proper amount of amps for that plug type, so it would have automatically set it for 24A anyway.

NickFie

Sep 28, 2017
Near Philadelphia, PA
The first time I charge from an outlet, after 30 minutes I use the back of my hand to verify that the outlet, plug/adapter and circuit breaker are not hot. Warm is fine.

Hot could show a problem. Loose connection, bad contact or similar. Drop charging current or find a different outlet.

Reactions: mrau and jcanoe

letswinit

Mar 18, 2021
san jose
I'm not sure if you know this yet, but as long as you are just using the regular Tesla equipment, with one of their adapters for that dryer outlet attached to the mobile charging cable, you do not need to manually adjust current. The adapters have a chip in them that signals the proper amount of amps for that plug type, so it would have automatically set it for 24A anyway.
Ya I was in a hurry to buy one and purchased this one from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00STD8S7C?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_asin_image after further research I realized Tesla had one. I have not tried it yet but I expect it will lower voltage as you stated. Now I have two but that's ok

Rocky_H

Feb 19, 2015
Boise, ID
Ya I was in a hurry to buy one and purchased this one from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00STD8S7C?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_asin_image after further research I realized Tesla had one. I have not tried it yet but I expect it will lower voltage as you stated. Now I have two but that's ok
It's not adjusting voltage, by the way; it's amps. But no, that will not automatically signal the right amperage. The signaling is from a chip in the Tesla adapters. That cable you bought is just a cable that lets you plug into a 10-30 outlet, but then makes you use your Tesla 14-50 plug. That 14-50 Tesla plug will think that it is a 50A outlet type, and will signal the car to use the max that the mobile charging cable can do, 32A, which will overdraw that circuit and trip the breaker (hopefully). We used to have to do that stuff years ago, when Tesla had a very slim selection of adapters, and we had to adapt almost everything to 14-50, and I do actually have a cable just like that one from back then, but it's not a very good solution for now.

Reactions: FlatSix911

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC