Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging with a standard BS1363 (household 3 prong) socket - review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I bought the BS1363 cable that lets you plug our Teslas into a standard 3 prong socket in Hong Kong from a fellow member here. You need this for plugging into most CLP/government provided charging spaces in Hong Kong.

First of all, let me say that this type of charging is unnecessary in my view because of the availability of Superchargers in HK. For me, it seems more like a practical emergency back up.

The benefit is that when you are plugged into these outlets, such as the one at Ma On Shan Center, you are entitled to free parking (5 hours at MOS Center and I hear up to 10 hours at Science Park).

For now, CLP has been subsidized by the gov to provide the charging at no cost until I think end of this year. After that, they will charge an amount through your Octopus card.

The charge rate is MUUUUUUUUUCCCCH slower than Superchargers. I went in with 229kms of range and after an hour and half, it only got up to 254kms. So this is more like for extending the time between Supercharging rather than a replacement OF Supercharging; unless you have access to this type of charging over night and while at work.

Here's some pics on my first charge at the Mira Shopping Center parking lot (FYI port number 3 seems to be broken as of 22 Oct, 15 as I ended up having to move the car next spot to use number 4).

DSC_1719.JPG
DSC_1720.JPG
DSC_1721.JPG
DSC_1722.JPG
DSC_1723.JPG
DSC_1724.JPG
DSC_1725.JPG
DSC_1726.JPG

Yes, it was slow. However, for overall night parking and daily mileage is not heavy, it is still not a bad alternative to use 13A charging. Slow charging is good for the battery. Clearly, if you have daily mileage of over 100km, 13 A charging is simply not a solution for you.

It's slow if you compare 13A with supercharger. However the beauty of EV is that everywhere with a plug is a "gas station" there is nothing better than refueling while the car isn't in motion, e.g. I top up 20-21% (10A) while at work. The car isn't moving anyway, imagine that every parking stalls in town there is a 13A socket, what a beautiful world.

Sorry if I sounded like I was knocking the 13A chargers; I was not. I was just saying they are not 100% requirement with the relatively (for now) easy accessibility of Superchargers and also the amount of range we have on our cars relative to the geographical size of Hong Kong. It was more to show potential buyers who may not have access to 13A charging either at home at work; the Model S is still livable in that situation.

I charged at the Star Ferry terminal Wilson parking last night while I went for dinner and it was nice to have it top back up the range I drove to get to dinner at least.

So basically:
- if you have access to a 13A at home and/or at work, you're pretty much good to go even without Superchargers for HK driving
- if you DON'T have access to these 13A chargers, it's not the end of the world either, just make your way to a Supercharger once every few days for HK driving

Sharing info is useful.whatever the views are!

helps ppl like me who had been hesitant/unsure about buying. 1.5 hours, around 25km of range....so if 7 hrs..roughly get around 125KM of range which is a good alternative for the day park people amongst us.

Having both an i3 and 70D, I can say 13amp charging is not for every day use. Even on the i3, the charging is very slow. I only use it when I feel like getting some free power when I'm out and about. Don't think there is any practical use for it. Especially on the model S, you won't get any meaningful range from it (unless you are totally empty)

Having both an i3 and 70D, I can say 13amp charging is not for every day use. Even on the i3, the charging is very slow. I only use it when I feel like getting some free power when I'm out and about. Don't think there is any practical use for it. Especially on the model S, you won't get any meaningful range from it (unless you are totally empty)

It really depends on how long you have to charge.

For workplace daytime / home overnight charging, BS1363 13A is not ideal but workable. A large number of sockets can be put in very cheaply. Given 10 hours, It'll add 100+km to a car's range.

It really depends on how long you have to charge.

For workplace daytime / home overnight charging, BS1363 13A is not ideal but workable. A large number of sockets can be put in very cheaply. Given 10 hours, It'll add 100+km to a car's range.

It will be good enough for me because my daily mileage is less than 100km. I usually park overnight with more than 10hrs. This is the reason why 13A charging is not bad for me. Since 13 A sockets are everywhere, simply plug-in and charge your Model S wherever the socket is available. Slow charging is always good for the batteries.

The big negatives IMHO are:

a) Overheating. The BS1363 socket is not really designed for 24x7 operation at 100% capacity. Seeing a lot of overheated sockets with brown/black holes. Limiting to 10A is good and seems to help, but still see a lot of people using full 13A or even pushing 16A!

b) Inefficiency. The cooling of the battery (especially in Hong Kong summers) takes power from that 10A, leaving less for actual charging. Charges are longer, hence cooling losses greater. We did some studies on this back in the roadster days, and saw as much as 50% loss.

c) Balancing. It seems that the battery needs to be near full for balancing to occur. That may not be so easy at 10A.

Valuable information. I think I'll be using the 13A cable to charge my Model S. I drive less than 150km a week anyway. I wanted to install the wall connector and have gotten quotations from 2 of the 3 companies Tesla suggested, one of them suggests wall drilling is needed, the other doesn't. Makes me wonder if they are professionals :confused: Both quoted about the same price, but as far as I know, my main switch box is located inside my garage, how hard could that be really? Both priced near the HK$10k mark, I'm no electrician, but aren't that expensive?

Jim, the installation in your case seems easy unless the main electric bar capacity is not large enough.
Valuable information. I think I'll be using the 13A cable to charge my Model S. I drive less than 150km a week anyway. I wanted to install the wall connector and have gotten quotations from 2 of the 3 companies Tesla suggested, one of them suggests wall drilling is needed, the other doesn't. Makes me wonder if they are professionals :confused: Both quoted about the same price, but as far as I know, my main switch box is located inside my garage, how hard could that be really? Both priced near the HK$10k mark, I'm no electrician, but aren't that expensive?

The box is located in the corner and I wanted to install the connector near the opening, so I'd say around 5-6 meters, and there's nothing in between, just a normal garage with 3 walls and an opening. Maybe I should find electricians that is not recommended by Tesla so that I don't get ripped off being a Tesla owner, rather ironic isn't it?

What is the distance between where you want the wall connector and your MCB? Any obstructions in the way? If it is close by (say 20 feet), you should be able to get this done for HK$5k or less.

The box is located in the corner and I wanted to install the connector near the opening, so I'd say around 5-6 meters, and there's nothing in between, just a normal garage with 3 walls and an opening. Maybe I should find electricians that is not recommended by Tesla so that I don't get ripped off being a Tesla owner, rather ironic isn't it?

Should be around HK$5k. Any electrician can do it. About half a day's work. Single phase 50A breaker, 3x 50A rated wires (L-N-E in plastic conduit), isolator switch, bolt the wall connector onto the wall.

The big negatives IMHO are:

a) Overheating. The BS1363 socket is not really designed for 24x7 operation at 100% capacity. Seeing a lot of overheated sockets with brown/black holes. Limiting to 10A is good and seems to help, but still see a lot of people using full 13A or even pushing 16A!

b) Inefficiency. The cooling of the battery (especially in Hong Kong summers) takes power from that 10A, leaving less for actual charging. Charges are longer, hence cooling losses greater. We did some studies on this back in the roadster days, and saw as much as 50% loss.

c) Balancing. It seems that the battery needs to be near full for balancing to occur. That may not be so easy at 10A.

Now that you mentioned it, yea the BS1363 sockets that I see ARE blackened on most of them.... I guess that makes sense; people wouldn't run a hair dryer out of a regular socket for 24 hours...