Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging with no home charger is just as expensive as petrol?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted people's thoughts on this. I live in a flat so am currently unable to have a charger installed due to various reasons.

I've been surviving on public chargers but with consistently increasing prices, charging the battery costs as much as fuel

For example, BP Pulse Rapid Chargers as a member charge 0.32p/kW so charging say 40kW is £12.80 and assuming you need one charge a week with the reduced range in winter then that's already £51.20 a month

Does anyone else have any tips or suggestions to reduce the price of charging? Is an EV only feasible if you have a home charger?
I pay on,y 13¢ per KWH on Cape Cod in Massachusetts, so it is much cheaper tan Gasoline at $3.50 per gallon.

Just wanted people's thoughts on this. I live in a flat so am currently unable to have a charger installed due to various reasons.

I've been surviving on public chargers but with consistently increasing prices, charging the battery costs as much as fuel

For example, BP Pulse Rapid Chargers as a member charge 0.32p/kW so charging say 40kW is £12.80 and assuming you need one charge a week with the reduced range in winter then that's already £51.20 a month

Does anyone else have any tips or suggestions to reduce the price of charging? Is an EV only feasible if you have a home charger?
Is it though ? Lets say that you are getting a poor 350 Wh/mile, and an equivalent poor figure on a petrol would be 40 mpg.

You would be covering 114 miles, the cost of petrol would be £18.83, so in effect you are saving 1/3 off the petrol price.

Reactions: Filbert1884
The government will have to start taxing public charging soon anyway.

The amount of money they will lose from people not buying petrol/diesel, they have to find from somewhere else.
So currently public charging is taxed at 4 times the rate of home charging (20% VAT vs 5%) and given public charging is always at least double the kwh cost of home electricity so the actual tax take is probably 8 times as much per kwh for public as it is for home charging. which means that those who do not have a drive have to pay something between 2 and 8 times the cost of those who do and you think the logical move is to INCREASE the tax on public charging?

Taxing fuel only works when everyone has to pay the tax all the time. When much of the charging done is not done on public charging the tax level required on public charging to make up for the loss on fuel duty would be unachievable.
I think what needs to happen is a reduction of VAT on public charging to match home charging and to level the playing field. We are all about leveling up after all these days aren't we?
Fuel duty needs to be replaced by another source. Personally I have no problem with road pricing. Fuel duty was effectively a tax per mile. and the heaviest least efficient vehicles paid the most. So cut out the middle bit and just tax per mile. Different rates for different vehicles based on weight etc. No one likes tax buy I honestly can't think of a fairer way if we can find a way to do it reliably.

Reactions: Nujec and pow216
You need to charge at 47p per kWh in order to be at same cost as petrol at 1.41 pound per liter
You can't have full marks unless you show your working out.
What MPG vs wh/m are you basing that on and are you accounting for charging losses etc? I am averaging 280 wh/m when I driver but I put in 315wh for every mile I drive on average. What numbers are you using?

You can't have full marks unless you show your working out.
What MPG vs wh/m are you basing that on and are you accounting for charging losses etc? I am averaging 280 wh/m but I consume 315wh for every mile I drive on average. What numbers are you using?
Ok, here's my calcs:

Currently petrol costs 1.41 (where I live) or 1.54 or so at motorway pumps.
Currently I drive 1.3 l turbo charged Nissan Qasqai. With the full tank of ~55 liters, I can do ~500 miles on motorway at motorway speeds (cruise at 74 mph). Or ~350 miles in towns. And this cost me more than 70 pounds to fill at the cheapest price I can get (all other pumps I see around me are higher than 1.41).

For 500 miles I would need probably ~ 2 full charges of 75 kWh. So, in total this would be 150 kwh (please correct figures if I am wrong here) for 500 miles

So in order to charge to 150 kwh for 70 pounds the price per kWh should be 46.6666 p per kwh

Reactions: rotor2k
I'm sure the bean counters in government already has a solution for road pricing vs fuel duty. Road pricing could be recouped from domestic registered vehicles and fuel duty and VAT is paid by all, including international registered vehicles using Her Majesty's highways.

Ok, here's my calcs:

Currently petrol costs 1.41 (where I live) or 1.54 or so at motorway pumps.
Currently I drive 1.3 l turbo charged Nissan Qasqai. With the full tank of ~55 liters, I can do ~500 miles on motorway at motorway speeds (cruise at 74 mph). Or ~350 miles in towns. And this cost me more than 70 pounds to fill at the cheapest price I can get (all other pumps I see around me are higher than 1.41).

For 500 miles I would need probably ~ 2 full charges of 75 kWh. So, in total this would be 150 kwh (please correct figures if I am wrong here) for 500 miles

So in order to charge to 150 kwh for 70 pounds the price per kWh should be 46.6666 p per kwh
so you are basically using 46mpg and 330wh/m as your bench marks. I think that is a pretty reasonable set of figures but will of course vary massively dependant on what EV you compare with what ICE..

Reactions: yessuz
so you are basically using 46mpg and 330wh/m as your bench marks. I think that is a pretty reasonable set of figures but will of course vary massively dependant on what EV you compare with what ICE..
That is true.

To be fair, I am extremely disappointed with mpg figures this Qashqai does. It is 1.3 l turbo charged petrol, auto, which does 160 bhp. Small engine but consumption is just bad.

@kashmachine the ev charging grant is due to change from April 2022 so that homeowners living in a flat will be able to get the grant so that should reduce the cost for the landowner/management company to install these into apartment owned parking spaces. Worth pointing this out to the management company and see what your options are

View attachment 750318

This is incredibly helpful thank you, I was totally unaware of this. I shall certainly mention to my leasehold management company and see what the response will be

Reactions: OddJob83