Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging with time-of-use billing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm on a net metering plan with PG&E thanks to my solar panels. I get lower energy prices if I consume off peak, which is 6pm to 12Noon.

Is it possible with the Model S to specify start/stop times for when it sucks juice from the wall? Ideally, I'd like to get home, plug the car in but not have the charging start until the off-peak hours.

thanks

I also have ToU rates through SMUD here in NorCal. The only thing to bear in mind is that you cannot specify the "stop" time. Not sure what you usage and charging scenario is, but you may need to do a quick mental calculation to ensure you complete charging within your ToU window.

Omar

I'm on a net metering plan with PG&E thanks to my solar panels. I get lower energy prices if I consume off peak, which is 6pm to 12Noon.

Is it possible with the Model S to specify start/stop times for when it sucks juice from the wall? Ideally, I'd like to get home, plug the car in but not have the charging start until the off-peak hours.

thanks

You might also want to do a search and check out the threads on PG&E's EV-A rate for electric vehicle owners vs. your current TOU rate plan. It cuts the 11pm-7am rate to $.10 and it is a flat rate plan with no usage tiers. I also have solar and EV-A should save me a lot, especially in the winter month.