Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging without a home?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After looking up the 'bricking' part, I was wrong, but I would rather not get to the point of ever having to deal with that regardless of having it replaced for free.

I was only estimating when I mentioned $30,000. I was wrong, but my number seems a bit better than what I found.

Then you shouldn't get one if you don't have home charging. You are talking about a very rare possibly especially and only if an owner ignored his or her car for months. Is that something you think you'd be likely to do? Bricking the car is the ICE version of ignoring an oil light for months. If you've never done that then you'd likely never brick your car.

Again, I don't think you understand there is a difference between the car running out of charge and becoming non drivable and the battery pack being ruined. If this owner misjudged things in a winter storm and also forgot to charge 4 weeks in a row he'd still have a month or more to dig his car out of the snow and take it to Tesla service center.

That's assuming the CHAdeMO adapter never comes out. We know it's late but it is in testing. If argue you'd be better off with the Model S as you have four times the range before you need to charge again.

i wouldn't be caught dead in a leaf.

parking in a garage would be a very expensive proposition for me. I am looking at moving, but don't really need the house yet so staying put would be advantageous. When Elon announced battery swapping I got all giddy, but there haven't been any developments on those fronts. I'm going to try again to get a socket installed, but its highly unlikely. This thread is superhelpful though. I'm into fresh ideas haha

- - - Updated - - -

If depletion is as you guys say, let's say it tops out at 10 miles a day in winters. I could go for like 2 weeks uncharged till I get to a charger. That doesn't seem like a problem to me, I'm sure I can find a friend who can car sit if I go away.

If it's actually 2/3 miles a day I might actually do it. The real point of contention was Tesla's recommendation of plugging it in at all times. I'd be buying a Model S because it's an awesome car, not so much for gas savings and stuff. The calculators don't apply to me on that front :)

I'm driving much more than that and I don't have a home charger either. It works fine. The car doesn't need a lot of power not being plugged it. I have read something like 10 miles or more per day when it's sitting and not plugged it. That's nonsense. I'm doing it all the time (because of the lack of a home charger) and the losses are much less. Maybe a mile or two a day. I use public chargers here and there, and once in a while the Supercharger that is 20 miles away.

According to Tesla's email that I got, the ChaDeMo adapter will come in June or July.

I'm sure in LA, the loss is less than 10 miles a day, but in places with cold climates, it can easily be greater than 10 miles. I personally lost almost 30 miles overnight while visiting my sister in DC and leaving the car outside and unplugged overnight in low 20 degree temps. This was on older firmware, so battery management/prediction has improved, but I would still count on losing more than a couple miles a day when parked unplugged in cold temps.

Good luck! A 110V would solve any problem and allow you to be fully charge for each weekend. Hopefully you can talk them into allowing you to at least pay to have that installed. It really shouldn't stress any infrastructure or be hard to install and getting them to understand that will be the trick.

parking in a garage would be a very expensive proposition for me

what about parking in a garage in the city once per week? while you are at work, your car is charging for 8-9 hours on a 30A J-1772, you'd get about 17 miles/hour of charge time, so you'd get 136 miles in an 8 hour work day... this saves you the time to drive to and from the SuperCharger @ JFK (and saves you waiting for it). I know parking at a NYC garage could be $40-45 for a day, but how much is your time worth? I'd factor that in as well.

I recently went from a house with a garage and a 50A outlet to an apartment building with two public charging stations. I'm not sure I would want to deal with the hassle of using a public charging station on a daily basis. They break, they get ICE'd, people leave their plug in Prius there for days. I also moved from Scottsdale where it's warm and flat to the relative cold of Oregon, so vampire losses and energy useage shot up. It's one of the main reasons I only lasted two months in that building. Now I have an apartment with no other electric cars and two chargers that haven't broken yet. But they still get ICE'd. The interesting part about the new place is they didn't assign a rate to the chargers, so I charge for free.

With all of that said, if you only plan on driving 40 miles a week, you might be able to make it work. I'd say just wait until the CHAdeMO adapter comes out, then you'll be fine.

I did look on plug share. Closest to my zip 11364 is the Queens Community College charger, but I don't think I have the time to just sit there and have it charge I think it's a standard outlet. What would really solve my problem is this Chaedemo adapter....

If its only 40 miles a 110 would work depending on your sleep schedule. And if a public charger is available not too far away that would work. Where I'm at I can get an unassigned parking spot and just park in the ev only spots and charge all day for 70ish a month.