Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Woes.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
APologies for cross posting but this seems a more active charging thread..

I've got similar RCD problems with new (2 weeks old..) M3.

I'm waiting on Zappi installation, so I'm hoping this may not be a long term problem, but I'd like to know what's going on! Apologies if I'm not using the correct electrical terminology.

I've had a Nissan leaf which has charged via 10A 3 pin ESVE or a specific Rolec 3KW J1772 (Type1) - both in the garage - for the last 9 years with no problems.

It's a 10 year old house/charging via garage, which has it's own 'box' for circuits etc. The Rolec installation has some earthing next to driveway (although I can't remember details).

I've not had any problems charging M3 away from house on SC/CCS or 7Kw or 22Kw type 2 chargers.

I've been using Rolec with a type 1/Type 2 adaptor as the main way to charge at home. This seems to generally work ok. It's limted to the rolec 3Kw.

However, I've had the RCD trip overnight a few times (even when 80% has been reached, although it might have been topping up for sentry mode after this? - ). I don't know exactly what time the RCD tripped, but the car seems to have charged to 80% ok, from 1Am, so it seems a few hours after this.

As I was using a Type 1 to type 2 adaptor, so I wondered if this might be the problems.

However, today I tried UMC for the first time via the garage 3 pin (no extension etc), and it tripped RCD immediately. When I plugged it in, but with a schedule set for the future, it did not 'trip' the RCD

Most of the time it charges fine using the rolec J1772Type1/Type 2 adaptor at 3-4Kw, although it did trip the RCD once today, just after the UMC had.

When I look at the main board, one of the switches (breakers?) has also tripped (the one for 'upstairs sockets') when I turn RCD back on, but the garage one never 'trips'.

I've got so many variations here I'm a bit confuddled. The only constant common participants are the M3 and my house.

Update - If I turn off all the other house circuits it seems to charge ok on UMC so I must have one of the 'overall' house leak problems?

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks
Ian
Not much I can add I’m afraid, other than trying the UMC at a neighbour or relative’s house to rule out a faulty UMC. You could also try reducing the charging current in the car, say down to 5A, and see if that affects anything.

I suggest you await a comprehensive reply from @arg our resident expert on such matters.

I've just turned the house circuits all back on, and nothing has tripped so far...car is charging, house is alive!
I've a feeling this could be one of those problems that is so elusive it slowly drives me mad!

After an hour or so of repeat charge/pop cycles and a couple of false dawns, I managed to get all circuits on and car to start to charge if I unplugged two devices in our kitchen - one a freezer and the other a fridge freezer. Same manufacturer Leibherr. The freezer is no more, having been mortally wounded a few weeks before (during a particular vicious sequence of brief power cuts over a prolonged period of time) and finally fail during the charger tests. The fridge freezer was on a manufacturer fitted euro/uk plug adaptor that I have subsequently replaced with a standard UK plug.

Since doing this, I've not risked to trying again incase it may be another false dawn. During testing, I had unplugged to potentially more sensitive devices so it wasn't all devices in house, just most. @arg suggested these triggers may be a cumulative set of circumstances and this hypothesis matches the behaviour I have witnessed.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Just curious : When this happens does it ever revert to 32AMP by itself (that session, or following night(s) ), or is it "stuck" at 16A until you manually put it back up again?
A couple of times it has charged at 16A on subsequent nights, but usually it does it one night, then the following night it’s back to 32A. All without me altering anything o_O

Reactions: WannabeOwner
A couple of times it has charged at 16A on subsequent nights, but usually it does it one night, then the following night it’s back to 32A. All without me altering anything o_O

This sounds like a weird one. My understanding is that if car fell back to 16A thinking there was a fault on the line for example, low voltage, it would remember if for that charger next time. But you then say, without altering anything, its back to 32A next time.

Reactions: Roy W.
This sounds like a weird one. My understanding is that if car fell back to 16A thinking there was a fault on the line for example, low voltage, it would remember if for that charger next time. But you then say, without altering anything, its back to 32A next time.
That was my understanding too, a bit like it remembers the location for scheduled charging.

I’m hoping it’s just some obscure software bug and not something endemic to the charging hardware, which might have more major ramifications.

APologies for cross posting but this seems a more active charging thread..

I've got similar RCD problems with new (2 weeks old..) M3.

I'm waiting on Zappi installation, so I'm hoping this may not be a long term problem, but I'd like to know what's going on! Apologies if I'm not using the correct electrical terminology.

I've had a Nissan leaf which has charged via 10A 3 pin ESVE or a specific Rolec 3KW J1772 (Type1) - both in the garage - for the last 9 years with no problems.

It's a 10 year old house/charging via garage, which has it's own 'box' for circuits etc. The Rolec installation has some earthing next to driveway (although I can't remember details).

I've not had any problems charging M3 away from house on SC/CCS or 7Kw or 22Kw type 2 chargers.

I've been using Rolec with a type 1/Type 2 adaptor as the main way to charge at home. This seems to generally work ok. It's limted to the rolec 3Kw.

However, I've had the RCD trip overnight a few times (even when 80% has been reached, although it might have been topping up for sentry mode after this? - ). I don't know exactly what time the RCD tripped, but the car seems to have charged to 80% ok, from 1Am, so it seems a few hours after this.

As I was using a Type 1 to type 2 adaptor, so I wondered if this might be the problems.

However, today I tried UMC for the first time via the garage 3 pin (no extension etc), and it tripped RCD immediately. When I plugged it in, but with a schedule set for the future, it did not 'trip' the RCD

Most of the time it charges fine using the rolec J1772Type1/Type 2 adaptor at 3-4Kw, although it did trip the RCD once today, just after the UMC had.

When I look at the main board, one of the switches (breakers?) has also tripped (the one for 'upstairs sockets') when I turn RCD back on, but the garage one never 'trips'.

I've got so many variations here I'm a bit confuddled. The only constant common participants are the M3 and my house.

Update - If I turn off all the other house circuits it seems to charge ok on UMC so I must have one of the 'overall' house leak problems?

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks
Ian
I've done another variation...If I use the Leaf ESVE 3 pin, and use the T1 T2 adaptor into the tesla..it also trips, so it must be something to do with the M3 being different in some way to the Leaf. I think the new install of 7KW Zappi plans an RCD in garage, so hopefully, I can avoid resetting the clocks and wifi every time I try and charge..

Just updating - Car is still with Edinburgh SC after 12 days. They had the main part required for the job but then some other little parts needed shipped from abroad so it's taken longer than expected.

They are hopeful that it will be completed by wednesday/thursday.

I know some people get worked up about taking this long but it's no great bother - I'd rather it was completed and fixed correctly and the Loaner Model S is hardly a struggle to deal with.

Reactions: Roy W.
"Wattson" is back with me after nearly 2.5 weeks - and all appears to be sorted....

Andrew at Edinburgh SC has been very good, updates on a regular basis, phone & text, very apologetic about the delay. Internal power conversion unit changed (called the penthouse!) and they had to wait for some plugs/caps from US to come in as well which caused the delays

Currently charging on my home Rolec for about 30 minutes now so all appears to be fixed. Yes it took some time but glad it's sorted.

Model S v Model 3 - S is big, quick but looks old compared to the model 3. I personally find the model 3 more comfortable seats wise. Still don't get why S is double the price of the 3....

Fingers crossed. Did laugh however as they tested on local supercharger as well as a local public AC charger - my account got charged 50p for the supercharging!!! haha

Had Model 3 for 3 weeks now and love the car....however my charging issues continue to plague my overall experience of the Tesla.

I had Rolec unit installed at home.....all checked out fine upon install. However upon getting car home 1st day and trying to charge the charger would start/stop go up to 32A, then drop to 0, then back to 16A - stay there, then cut off after about 10 minutes. Tried for a few days and this continued.

Installers agreed to swap the unit out as they couldn't find any initial faults so thought it might be a faulty unit.

Just had my Rolec swapped out for a new one Rolec.

New unit (Rolec) - same issues happening.

Electrician is stumped as everything is fine, earth readings are very low and under tolerance etc.

So trying to narrow down the issues.

• Charging on rapid CCS chargers 50kw DC (one Insta volt and one public chargeplace scotland) - Zero issues, full speed no interruptions - 2 separate places.
  • Public chargeplace scotland Type 2 cables - 2 separate locations - they start a full speed but then I get a warning saying "charging speed reduced - contact Tesla ". It continues to charge uninterrupted but slower than standard speeds
  • Home 3 pin 13A Telsa charger - charges for about 20/25 minutes at a time - then suddenly stops, I need to then restart via app, same thing - rinse and repeat. So I can't leave it overnight charging as it stops after 20 minutes or so.
  • Rolec - both units (one tethered, one untethered) start charging up to 32A, then stop and drop to 0A, then go up to 16A or so, but again after 5/10 minutes stop charging
I have booked a provisional service appointment in Edinburgh but first appointment isn't till the 29th October....

I have spoke via text to Servicing/Techinical team. However, they wanted response via text..... They asked for times/date for charging, which units I've tried and used, whether AC/DC etc, along with other details of how long it charges for, what happens etc.

Hard work trying to put that all into a text message and send it over. Email would be easier, speaking to someone would be a novel idea as well!!

Anyway - Sent all the details to them, and despite using 4 different public chargers, they are blaming a "power surge" at my home address for the issues.

Clearly that's not the case as I have issues with public charging on AC as well.....

They are suggesting I need to call an electrician out to review my home wiring - They are utterly ignoring the fact I have similar charging issues on public chargers!!!

All the text messages back and forward are ridiculous way of trying to solve the problems.

Anyone any ideas??

I'm off to try another public chargers and a friends Rolec at his home just now - if it's the same problems still then CLEARLY it's not my home that's the issue!!

I am having very similar issues with my Rolec tethered home charging unit.
when connected to a 32 amp supply it is not uncommon for the Tesla to show a 16amp supply and the + sign to increase is greyed out and does not function.

I have yet to work out a full proof method of getting to 32 amp input. It seems that pressing the boost button on the EV.charge app the amp went up to 32 and then I was able to stop the charge and re schedule for off peak charging and the setting remained.
Still waiting for any response from Tesla

I certainly have the same frustration with trying to talk or email Tesla about the issue.

when connected to a 32 amp supply it is not uncommon for the Tesla to show a 16amp supply and the + sign to increase is greyed out and does not function.

I have yet to work out a full proof method of getting to 32 amp input. It seems that pressing the boost button on the EV.charge app the amp went up to 32 and then I was able to stop the charge and re schedule for off peak charging and the setting remained.

I certainly have the same frustration with trying to talk or email Tesla about the issue.

There is a well-known Tesla bug that causes charge current to reduce following the start of a scheduled charge; others are seeing exactly the same behaviour. Tesla seem to be uncommunicative about when it may be fixed, or even if they will fix it, but there are other major bugs that impact scheduled charging, too.

The work around that some have found works is to use an app to stop charging shortly after scheduled charging starts, then start charging again a few minutes later. It seems that most of the time this work around restarts charging at the full current.

It's a PITA procedure to have to use, but as Tesla seem not to be putting any effort into fixing this quickly (or if they are, then they aren't telling owners) then it seems we have to work on DIY fixes for Tesla's seeming inability to get really simple stuff like this right.

There are several other threads here where this is being discussed, BTW.

There are also other causes, though, including settings within the charge point itself, so worth checking these first, perhaps. More than one charge point has been installed with the wrong default settings.

Last edited:

Two things to reset the Rolec:
- Turn off the smartness of the Rolec and don’t give it your Tesla credentials
- Reboot the Rolec by briefly turning off the breaker inside the house

Test by setting a scheduled charge 2 minutes in the future, plug it in, lock the car, and wait.

Two things to reset the Rolec:
- Turn off the smartness of the Rolec and don’t give it your Tesla credentials
- Reboot the Rolec by briefly turning off the breaker inside the house

Test by setting a scheduled charge 2 minutes in the future, plug it in, lock the car, and wait.

Thanks for idea however the Rolec never had my Tesla credentials and the problem existed when I connected to a Tesla home charger, so this suggestion will not solve the problem.

You mentioned the boost button in the app, so I assume you have the “smart” aspect of the Rolec enabled?
Yes I have the Boost button but I withdrew the Tesla credentials to simplify the task. The app still works without the credentials and therefore I can Boost which has forced the Tesla to see 32amp. Before the boost I was unable to force the amperage up on the TESLA display.
Now I am just checking if this is a full proof work around or will the Tesla go back to 16amp. So far it is working but I will need to charge tonight so fingers crossed.

Simply put - ignore the app all together.

Rolec works fine as a "dumb" charger - I simply don't use the eve.energy app at all. I simply plug it in when I need charger and leave it at all other times.

Does the car charge fine on UMC/public chargers etc?
If you suspect the Rolec is the issue, then Tesla will simply point you towards the installers/Rolec.

My problem was that all AC charging (home, UMC, rolec, public ac chargers) were all not charging properly - where as DC chargers were fine. I did a lot of testing/trialling at a huge amount of different chargers before approaching tesla with a fairly convincing argument that it was clearly the car and not simply the charger

I now use the Tesla to set the charge start time (for off peak rates) but make sure that the amp is at 32. To do this I have to press the + button as invariably the Tesla is only showing 16A I then leave it to start in the early hours of the morning and so far it has charged at the correct speed 4 times on the trot.