Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I changed a dryer outlet for one that would take a 15-50 Tesla adapter. When I plug the car in (Tesla S) it charges for a few minutes but than trips the 30 breakers. I suspect that I need a different adapter if available or do I need to change the circuit breakers?

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd
Whoa. Stop immediately using. You’ve created a real fire hazard by swapping the outlet. If you had a 30a dryer circuit, the correct method would be to purchase the correct 30a pigtail for the Tesla charger. The Tesla charger will know that the max it can pull is 24a and that isall the circuit can handle.

The wire size, run length, and outlet all are engineered for a certain load to be safe. Your limit of all 3 is 30a max, 24a continuous. You need to limit your pull from that circuit to 24a. There are two ways to do this:
- change the charger pigtail to a 30a one (the right way)
- change the outlet to a 50a the way you did and manually limit your car’s amperage draw to 24a. This is the wrong way but will technically work until your new pigtail comes in. Note this is a very dangerous situation. While the car does remember what your max amperage setting is, it has been known to forget that setting from time to time (like with upgrades) which would put you into a fire risk again. This second situation is also against the electrical code in most locations and should not be your normal operating procedure.

Upvote 1
First and foremost: just because you can turn a screwdriver doesn't mean you can do electrical work. You can't just go randomly 'upgrading' outlets, that's how house fires happen.

If you absolutely must use this in it's current state for charging, even though you really shouldn't, limit the car to 24A.

Your most cost effective solution here is to put the dryer plug back and spend the $45 on the correct adapter from Tesla.

If you really want to put a 50A outlet in, call an electrician. They're gonna have to either replace the whole circuit or install a new one. They'll have to install a 50A breaker, run 6 AWG wire, and install the 14-50 plug.

Upvote 0
@Nago, just to be abundantly clear this part is very important:

run 6 AWG wire

Even if you upgrade the circuit breaker, your existing wiring cannot handle that load and could cause a fire. An electrician can replace the breaker and run new wire to 14-50 in your garage, enabling you to charge at 40 amp continuous rather than 24.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Upvote 1