Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charity bet #3: first Starship in orbit (redux)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am slightly modifying this bet rerun. The upcoming expected SpaceX test where Starship reaches orbit velocity and then does a 3/4 orbit around the earth and splash down will count IF Starship actually survives intact enough to do a landing burn. ie. this bet is for a successful orbit velocity and re-entry (but not necessarily landing since it is expected to do an initial "landing" in the water).
By “landing burn” do you mean like an F9 booster where it is essentially vertical and over the target area and then the engines ignite just to null out the velocity?

I give a near zero probability of that happening on the upcoming Starship mission. While I firmly believe that by the end of this year SpaceX will land a Starship intact and on target after reaching orbital velocity I very much doubt that will happen on the first try.

I hope I’m wrong!
———————-

EDIT: Apologies, now I see the bet is about when a landing — as defined in your post — will be successful, not if the first test flight landing will be successful.

While I firmly believe that by the end of this year SpaceX will land a Starship intact and on target after reaching orbital velocity I very much doubt that will happen on the first try.

I hope I’m wrong!
———————-

EDIT: Apologies, now I see the bet is about when a landing — as defined in your post — will be successful, not if the first test flight landing will be successful.

Correct, and I note that December is still available!

Elon's latest prediction. Come on guys, there's still some choice months within Elon's predicted timeframe.

BTW, Tesla shareholder meeting Bingo is up: https://mfbc.us/v/pkqj387

Everyone gets a randomized card. If you get BINGO, post your screenshot in the perpetual investor's thread to win a prize.

1659639285060.png

Well, looks like I‘ve lost this bet since August has come and gone.

Or have I? No one grabbed December 2022, so I’m double dipping according to the new rules and now have a December 2022 bet active. I’ll have to now pay $100 to the charity…

According to this, NET is now October. I don’t know how accurate this is, but @EVCollies who has September 2022 might be getting a bit worried…

Well, looks like I‘ve lost this bet since August has come and gone.

Or have I? No one grabbed December 2022, so I’m double dipping according to the new rules and now have a December 2022 bet active. I’ll have to now pay $100 to the charity…

According to this, NET is now October. I don’t know how accurate this is, but @EVCollies who has September 2022 might be getting a bit worried…
I haven't spent anytime considering who should receive donations.
Want to be part of the charity bet? Just pick a free month. See first post for open months and rules.
Not really a free month but an available month...

Thanks. Read the rules. April 2023.
Yea! Another sucker contestant! Hey, there are two more SpaceX charity bets and an Investor charity bet on-going:

So much new info on Twitter
  • Booster 7 getting reliability upgrades
  • Booters 9 (in process) has many design changes, especially for isolating engine RUD
  • (Sub) orbital test late October or, more likely, November
  • Will have two full stacks ready in November and a production rate of one full stack every two months
  • Can transport ships from Brownsville to Cape
  • 39-A launch around Q2 2023 with TX built stack

September 2022 please!!!!
Snnfff