Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charity bet #5: First Starship Booster Intact Landing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cosmacelf

Supporting Member
Mar 6, 2013
San Diego
New charity bet to select the month/year when SpaceX will land a Starship BOOSTER, intact on the ground (or ocean platform), such that it could be reflown if they chose to do so.

All participants must pinky swear they will donate $50 to the winner's chosen charity (to be chosen at time of winning).

Rules for this bet:
  • Each participant chooses a year/month combo when the event will occur
  • One contestant per month/year (get your votes in early!)
  • The winner is the one that picks the month/year (or no winner if the event occurs in a month/year with no contestant)
  • No Price is Right or nearest participant. Somebody gets the month/year right or not
  • In the no-winner scenario then we just start up another charity bet
  • If your month has gone by and you didn't win, you can choose a new month (but now you have to donate $100 if you lose).
Contestants:

Ben W: December 2022
Cosmacelf: January 2023
Grendal: March 2023
EVCollies: April 2023

adiggs: June 2023
Grendal: August 2023
Nikxice: September 2023
Cosmacelf: November 2023

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: EVCollies
Ooh - I like that last rule -- sign up for a second month when the first goes by if desired, but then you're also in for 2 units. Much better than what I had been thinking.

Put me in for June 2023.

I've just realized my new charity bet strategy - as long as -something- happens in June 2023, I'm golden!@

Ooh - I like that last rule -- sign up for a second month when the first goes by if desired, but then you're also in for 2 units. Much better than what I had been thinking.

Yeah, in a way, it encourages people to be optimistic since they can get two or more cracks at the prize. And it keep people involved and increases the charity pot.

Reactions: adiggs
Contestants:

Cosmacelf: January 2023
Grendal: March 2023
adiggs: June 2023

Incidentally (since I'm a computer programmer, I think about edge cases all the time), the month shall be determined using the local time of the event completion (in this case, Booster landing).

Reactions: Grendal
December 2022. (I'm an optimist.)

Cosmacelf, what if the booster lands precisely on the International Date Line, at the stroke of midnight, during a leap second?
And that is why every program has bugs 😄

At some point, the programmer says to themselves, you know, condition X is so unlikely and I don’t have the energy or time to write and debug an extra 100 lines of code for this crap…

Reactions: Ben W
Going long with a prediction here. The first Super Heavy to be successfully grabbed by Mechazilla will be a sight to behold. Until that happens, further rocket iterations and/or environmental impact delays could possibly eat away months for this still unflown booster. Charity wise...thinking big. Cats and dogs?....I'll find a whole damn needy zoo!....September 2023

Going long with a prediction here. The first Super Heavy to be successfully grabbed by Mechazilla will be a sight to behold. Until that happens, further rocket iterations and/or environmental impact delays could possibly eat away months for this still unflown booster. Charity wise...thinking big. Cats and dogs?....I'll find a whole damn needy zoo!....September 2023
Note that the booster does not technically have to land at mechzilla, as long as it is a good landing. I would expect SpaceX to land Boosters at mechzilla but maybe for the first one they won’t.

So … the plot thickens. It is possible (via a regulatory filing), that the very first booster flight will come back to Starbase for a chopstick landing. Right now, the earliest bet month is December 2022. Earlier months are available for those that want to be optimistic.