Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charity bets: $100/$1K/$10K -> EAP/FSD feature release by 12/31, 1/31, 3/31

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just posting to say that I'll join the festivities. I'll put down $10 that EAP will not see any truly new features by 12/31. That means I exclude those that would bring it up to AP1 parity, e.g. showing car / motorcycle / truck on the dash, etc... I'll just bet against myself, but if I lose, I will let @calisnow decide to which charity the money goes.

Good luck everyone!

Sadly I might get to keep my ten bucks!

Plenty of room in the Nav update (that’s now due Q1) for an added/related yet newly-functional AP feature - for example, auto exit from a freeway on the way to an SC.

Heh - we had that “feature” on the first night 10/15/2015 when AP would try to exit the freeway with exactly zero warning whatsoever. So 2.5 years later, it would be cool to have a working variant thereof.

I have no idea if any of that will arrive by 1/31, but it seems like a solid win for the Q1 earnings call and so the timeframe makes sense based upon the latest tweets. I don’t recall the last verbiage for the interior refresh, but iirc, that was for Q2.

None of this matters in context now. We may have a utility bed pickup truck in a few years and *that* is going to be huge. Imagine a custom-built RV package on that frame. Fits in a single parking space but fully self-contained. Why, I’d almost accept AP2 in its current state (on that platform) if it meant continent-wide travel without having to mess with hotels or truck stops.

Meanwhile, bring on Nav in Q1, the interior refresh in Q2, and some sort of AP progress thereafter/thereduring until we get FSD in 2020.

Overly pessimistic? I think not. Consider this use case: Reacting to a stop sign from the left lane of a 3-lane road in a suburban ‘hood. Gonna need the side and wide front cameras to recognize the stop sign that far away. And process it and react. AP1 wont do that. AP2 can’t do that, at least from the images posted so far (it will from the right lane though).

And so it goes.

Reactions: arcus
For 12:01AM (California time) 1/1/2018:

Here is the donation link (below) for those of youse who made public or private bets with me regarding the 12/31 deadline for AP-related functionality via firmware update referenced in this thread and elsewhere.

I've been familiar with the organization referenced below (Casa de los Niños) for... about 30 years now; rest assured that they will put your donations to good use.

Charitable donation link here.

And with that, Happy New Year, and Happy Groundhog Day to all.

No confirmations of donations yet 4* days later? Go figure.

Well, @BigD0g, yer up. T minus 27 days for your $1K to be safe as well. I hereby pass the theme music baton in yer direction; finally multiple road trips beckon and it's high time. No, that's not a California joke. Although it could be.

I *think* the most likely AP-related feature(s) to come next would seem to be auto-lane changing either around or past slower traffic, and auto-exiting from the freeway when a route is active.

Any others come to mind?

Sadly, it would appear that the only ones that would make mah widdle heart go pitter-patter (stop sign/traffic signal reaction as opposed to mere recognition, as well as actual camera-based reaction to speed limit signs (ostensibly layered with a cleaned-up and automagically maintained database of speed limit info)) just got deferred until 2020 (along with the rest of FSD) when Tesla will have its own AI-centric boards.

Optimistically, you'd think there's be some run left with NVidia and the cool work being done with different NNs. Although from Tesla's perspective, it's probably cheaper to reimburse the relatively few FSD buyers if this drags on much longer versus retrofitting with new NVidia boards when the stated goal is definitely to use newly-designed Tesla chips/chipsets (relatively) soon.

Meanwhile, how 'bout them autosensing wipers *with no Hella sensor needed*? Pretty nifty, eh?

Edit: 3 days still - not 4 - dratted time zones.

So has anybody actually paid up on their bets? Lots of talk leading up to the new year, but so far not one post showing a donation receipt!

Good points.

None of the public bets have contacted me, and it’s been 5 days. At what point does one break out the Welch’s grape juice? 7 days? OK.

Meanwhile, 25 days remain for the next meltdown, I mean deadline of 1/31 @2359 for the $1,000 and any other partakers. Gotta love it, even though I have no dog in that hunt.

Another approach that could be entertaining and potentially charitable would be to predict the *order* of the next 5 AP and/or FSD features. A feature deadpool - kinda sorta.

This could get quite dynamic in 18-24 months.

Reactions: BinaryField
I'll stand by my comments, but can't be bothered at this moment to post a redacted version or to link to whatever post # it is in snippiness.

Short version: Being banned either temporarily or permanently *in no way* excuses *anyone* from satisfying their obligations after losing the first of what could be several bets that in total amount to at least $11,120 to charity.

I'll stand by my comments, but can't be bothered at this moment to post a redacted version or to link to whatever post # it is in snippiness.

Short version: Being banned either temporarily or permanently *in no way* excuses *anyone* from satisfying their obligations after losing the first of what could be several bets that in total amount to at least $11,120 to charity.
Unless you've shared your personal contact information with someone who has been banned, it's a bit difficult for them to respond. How should that person make good on a bet if they cannot post or pm?

Unless you've shared your personal contact information with someone who has been banned, it's a bit difficult for them to respond. How should that person make good on a bet if they cannot post or pm?
Unless their account has been completely locked, they could always contact a moderator via PM or reporting a post. I say this only to help;) the person to attempt redemption, not to be argumentative.

Unless their account has been completely locked, they could always contact a moderator via PM or reporting a post. I say this only to help;) the person to attempt redemption, not to be argumentative.
If it's a temporary ban, then I'd just wait until I came off the ban. Moderators are buried under administrative tasks. For all we know, that person has done that, but the mods simply don't have time to take care of additional tasks. And I'm pretty sure a banned person cannot initiate a pm (even to a moderator), unless things have changed from when I was behind the curtain.

I find it somewhat unfair to be piling on someone who had their account locked down (and then reposting a 'generic' post to get by the mods).