TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Charleston, S.C. supercharger?

Discussion in 'North America' started by ronnussbaum, Aug 17, 2018.

1. ronnussbaum

ronnussbaum Member

Any news out there?

2. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Better place to look is the local forum: Southeast

3. dbarrycoyle

dbarrycoyle New Member

Just drove my Model 3 to Charleston last month from DC area. Only 3 available "quality" charging options for public, 1 in Mt. Pleasant, 1 at Tanger Mall, and another near Northwoods. (By quality, i mean something to do within walking distance.) All Level 2. So upon arriving at about 15% charge, I had to spend a pair of 4+ hour sessions at ~ 20 miles/hr rate over the 4 days in town to accommodate the 4 day activities, and finally get me to the Santee supercharger on my way home (70 miles away) with some % to spare. Not fun constantly thinking about my level of charge for that day, and planning when I'd have to kill that time. This is ONLY drawback I can think of... I did see 1/2 dozen Teslas around over the weekend, but all those have home stations and don't need superchargers. Since it's a destination city (on the cost at the end of an Interstate, I understand it's not as cost effective or attractive to install a SCharger there. Anyway, I'll likely have to continue to drive the Saab for the foreseeable future until a supercharger is installed in the Charleston area. I hope one pops up soon!

4. Ormond

Ormond Member

I charged overnight during my stay at the Charleston Place Hotel a year ago. They just offer destination chargers.

5. gfb107

gfb107 Member

I stayed at one of the hotels within walking distance of the Tanger outlet, so could leave my X there for several hours every evening to get a 90% charge without any inconvenience.

6. paulkva

paulkva Member

I spent a couple nights with my family in Charleston in 2014, at a hotel ~6 miles west of the city center. Between supercharging to a high percentage in Savannah beforehand, plugging into a 120V outlet at our hotel overnight, and using a charger in a municipal garage downtown, we had no problem regaining enough charge to reach Santee on our way home. According to PlugShare, there are at least 3 public lots in/near downtown where you have to pay to park but there's no additional fee to charge -- and I'm pretty sure all three were there in 2014. Lots to do nearby each of them.

I also see two EVgo CCS/CHAdeMO locations -- one to the west near the hotel we used, and another ~20 miles north near the intersection of I-26 and Route 78. Although I've heard the CHAdeMO adapter doesn't work with the Model 3 yet.

Especially if you don't want to mess with parking/charging downtown, I agree that staying at a hotel near the Tanger outlet is a good strategy. We never used that location specifically, but we've had consistent success at the Tanger outlets in Rehoboth DE.

Having said all that, I agree Charleston would benefit from a supercharger and/or additional destination charging locations.

7. ronnussbaum

ronnussbaum Member

I have stayed and charged around on destination chargers but would like to know if the TESLA SUPERCHARGER location/permit etc has been applied for as of yet. In Charleston?